Some quick questions from a potential buyer!

e91a

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey.

I've got a pretty good offer on a used 920. I never used WP before, but i'm really interested about WP.

So i've had both iOS but mainly Android last couple of years. Had for example Nexus1, iphone 4, htc one x and now i've got galaxy nexus. The reason why i want to try a new OS is cause i sometimes feel like Android aint as smooth as i want a OS to be. Laggy, shutdowns and other stuff. And i'm not using stock, mostly roms and im getting tired of always updating etc. I diden't like iOS most cause i think all the apps on a screen looks so dumb. Now u got the backround, now to the questions.

I've been a gmail user since about 06 and i'd like to keep using it. I've read that google won't support WP8 so will it be possible for me to get email synced with the 920? Not with browser since i'd like to get notification when email arrive.

I also use google calender. Does it work out? Possible to import to the phone and sync with it?

And is the Internet explorer the only webbrowser avalible? And if yes, how is the browser working? Is there any ad-remover possible to install?

I will mostly use the phone for web-browsing and music else then texts and phonecalls ofc.

Thanks in advance.

e91a

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Google related - Microsoft removes Exchange ActiveSync from Google account setup, temporary workaround present | Windows Phone Central

IE is the only browser. There are other wrappers like UC Browser.

No ad removal. But its not ad loaded like Google, an advertisement agency.

Hmm, so it's a chance that it will be removed later this year. The ad-remover i was mostly talking about in IE browser for example. Some pages are using way to much adds for me so i usally remove a few to make the surfing experience feel better.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, so it's a chance that it will be removed later this year. The ad-remover i was mostly talking about in IE browser for example. Some pages are using way to much adds for me so i usally remove a few to make the surfing experience feel better.

Yes, but currently the work around suggested in that thread works like a charm. If Google acts like a 12 year old teen, then may be it will be removed. But by then you can migrate to Outlook.com for better coherency. For ads in mobile version, less likely to see ads, but no ad-blocks for browser or otherwise on WP.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
you wont need another browser imo...i own Lumia 620 and IE10 works smoothly here (even better than Android ICS stock browser i dare say, since i had it before moving to WP)
It loads all websites without lags or bugs and i haven't had any problems with ads so far!

e91a

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but currently the work around suggested in that thread works like a charm. If Google acts like a 12 year old teen, then may be it will be removed. But by then you can migrate to Outlook.com for better coherency. For ads in mobile version, less likely to see ads, but no ad-blocks for browser or otherwise on WP.
Okay sounds good. Most times i'd rather go web version the mobile since somehow i don't like to browse pages in mobile versions (well, not all but many pages lack functions and are not updated as fast)
you wont need another browser imo...i own Lumia 620 and IE10 works smoothly here (even better than Android ICS stock browser i dare say, since i had it before moving to WP)
It loads all websites without lags or bugs and i haven't had any problems with ads so far!
Okay, well just asking :p As long as the IE is working good that's no problem ofc.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
However, since you are coming from Android where most apps are there and free mostly - I would suggest visiting Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom) and making sure you have the apps you are used to and if you don't then at least you know you will be happy with the fact that substitutes might or might not exist in near future. Most people end up moaning because they just assume if it's not in the store it will come soon. It won't. Assume so first and then see if you feel happier. Also, go through this forum threads. There are known drawbacks of the OS and we are all here because to us it doesn't matter that much or we have way more pros than cons. While you have a chance to make a rational decision, make one!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been an Android user for the last couple years (currently a Nexus 4), and just a couple days ago I picked up a practically new Lumia 920 from Craigslist to give it a try. Here are my observations in the 2 days I've had it:

The 920 is a well-built solid feeling phone. My first thought when I held it was that it feels nice in the hand. It is a bit heavy, but for me that's not an issue. I'm not real cracked on the square corners on the ends, but that's purely personal preference. I like the WP UI. I also used a WP7 in the past, and I got to a point where I almost prefer the UI to Android's. One thing I did though was a small test of the claim of the OS being smoother than Android. In the test I did, surprisingly, Android won! What I did was to go to the Settings menu on both devices and scroll very slowly. On the 920 it was very noticably "jumping" or "stuttering", but on the Android it was butter smooth. I realize that was not an exhaustive test, but still, I was surprised by the results. The idea that Android is buggy & laggy now doesn't apply, at least with the latest Nexus running stock Android.

If you mostly use the phone for browsing, music, texts, and calls, then you should be fine. It will do a first-rate job at those things. Most anyone coming from Android or iOS will start to notice the app shortage pretty quickly if you use a lot of apps. In your case, that may not apply. I am a big baseball nerd, so as long as it's baseball season I can't replace my Nexus 4 with the 920 as my daily driver, since there's no MLB app.

The OS could still use some maturing. There is one volume setting for everything. Turning down media volume also turns down the ringer volume. Also there is no way to disable auto-rotate. It's kind of annoying when I'm laying in bed trying to use the phone. I have not encountered any bugs other users have reported such as heating up, light bleed, or excessive battery drain.

The Nokia Lumia 920 a well-built, solid phone that does most basic functions well. Just be sure you do your research to make sure the phone does what you do with a smartphone, and that the apps you need are available. Then go for it! WP needs the market share boost!

Last edited:

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
OK before you scream after getting a WP phone, IE has one problem, cannot handle CSS3 or HTML5 written drop down menu.
But I guess you will love it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
OK before you scream after getting a WP phone, IE has one problem, cannot handle CSS3 or HTML5 written drop down menu.
But I guess you will love it.
Would you please explain this in a way that the average person who is not a web developer would understand?

EauRouge

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
OP, youre right. from what I hear WP was smoother than Android, until the Jelly Bean, which became "project butter" Android is now smoother... (n)

gandhule

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
How do you use your smartphone?

If you use it mainly as productivity tool, you'll lve WP. The UI is clean and simple, thus makes you feel less distracted.

But if you use your smartphone mainly for gaming gadget, you will miss,your android a lot.

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Mainly as a tool. Nokia essentially covers all the bases i intend the device for. Music, camera, fluidity of basic UI functionality. I have had IOS prior to WP and I do miss some of the high end graphic intense games. Considering I don't have much time for that now, its not a priority for how a phone meets my needs.

gpstrucker

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I also have a gmail account and have had no issues with syncing the mail to my L822. I just set up the account information and my gmail and Hotmail/Outlook mail syncs automatically.

Both my Google calendar (which I no longer use), and my MS calendar sync no problem.

I've had zero issues with the web browser.

andrew120

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

e91a

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
How do you use your smartphone?

If you use it mainly as productivity tool, you'll lve WP. The UI is clean and simple, thus makes you feel less distracted.

But if you use your smartphone mainly for gaming gadget, you will miss,your android a lot.
Thats the thing. I pretty much never play games or use much apps.well i think il buy the 920. Been at the store and checked it out twice and i liked it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb