Nokia's almost doing this, would like to see them come closer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You do realized that the "firmware" is actual a bundle of OS and drivers?

Exactly. Each firmware update contains numerous driver files that are specific to the phone's hardware.

These driver files are .sys files identical to the driver files found on the Windows desktop operating system. However, there is no mechanism to update Windows Phone driver files individually. And you can be guaranteed that no Firmware Update would be pushed out for the sole purpose of updating one single driver file.

The entire scope is different because Windows checks for driver updates for each driver in the system and then pulls the updates that it needs. Windows Phone does not check for updates based on specific drivers it has, and the updates are based on the phone's model. These updates for Windows Phone are pushed to the phone from the server, rather than pulled from the server to the phone. It's actually a huge difference :)

I know this from reverse engineering code inside of the Windows Phone operating system. =P

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations for not understanding a word I said!

You need to understand that a business model that works with computers won't necessarily work with phones. The entire software process is different, and that impacts the hardware process; The main thing being the way the hardware support is maintained through the software. On a computer the hardware makers are responsible for the support of their components and it's very easy to push out a driver update to everyone who has that hardware. Phones COULD have the same process, but currently none of the phone operating systems have an update distribution method that would allow this type of system to work like this.

My whole point was about focusing on the BIG PICTURE. The entire software AND hardware aspects combines and the way they depend on each other. And yet you were only able to focus on a small part of that with your reply. Thanks for reiterating my point.

My statements had absolutely nothing to do with Carrier Independence......

Ok fine. Let's take this back towards the spirit of your initial doubts that they could make this work. There's been more since I last posted:

Motorola advisor (and former Apple evangelist) Guy Kawasaki posed an interesting question recently via Google+: “Wouldn’t it be great if you could personalize your phone like this?” The this of his question referred to a video clip highlighting Porsche Exclusive, the auto makers offering allow for buyers to create a completely custom vehicle, from paint job to stereo and more.

So what does this have to do with Android and rumors of the X Phone? You might recall a report from last week detailing how Moto will approach the brand. It was said that Motorola and Google will offer buyers the option to customize different aspects of their new handset at time of purchase, including RAM, storage size, and color. The idea would be akin to the sort of upgrades offered when buying a PC or laptop.

Is Kawasaki’s post a hint at what we can expect when the X Phone is unveiled later this year? It seems more than coincidence based on the recent speculation. It would certainly add an interesting twist to smartphone buying, treating the devices more like the mini personal computers they really are and less like the mobile phones they started as
source

But what made me laugh was down in the comments section. Because I found a guy there just like you:
It is not a realistic idea though
this immediately reminded me of you. But rather than frame another response to you, I thought the response of laughing incredulity by someone else to this person's comment would best serve as a response to your doubts as well :grincry:
Seriously??? We can put car sized rovers on Mars and send satellites out of our own solar system, but building a customized smartphone isn't realistic? GET OUTA HERE! LOL!!!

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Seriously??? We can put car sized rovers on Mars and send satellites out of our own solar system, but building a customized smartphone isn't realistic? GET OUTA HERE! LOL!!!

Please tell me where I said this is unrealistic....

I said this is a stupid idea, because it's not practical. I never said it wasn't possible. It's a method that doesn't work well with phones and that is why companies haven't invested any of their resources in it. I'm going to stop caring though because you will never be in a position to makes decisions like these. You don't have the skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234