Wired Magazine SLAMS weak WP8 app releases...

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand when people bag on Tom Warren, when he sticks up for MS like crazy. Everyone was talking about that Leap Motion thing, and he was the only one around saying Kinect is 1000x better.

That article was 100% true btw. I told my girlfriend Temple Run 1 came out. She immediately laughed. Its sad. Ruzzle now coming out, 90% of my friends stopped playing that around January .

nstine20

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
That article was 100% true btw. I told my girlfriend Temple Run 1 came out. She immediately laughed. Its sad. Ruzzle now coming out, 90% of my friends stopped playing that around January .

In my opinion, whether or not her article is true or not doesn't really matter. The reason that people are calling it click-bait is because of its overly-dramatic title and then fails to bring anything new to the table. Her article pretty much only states what is already common knowledge and is thus largely unnecessary. Worst of all she not only flat out dismisses some of the strides the platform has made in the roughly 5 months it has been out, but she also completely overlooks others. Microsoft has to start somewhere and well-established products are as good a place as any.

Statements like those by the developer of Evernote that WP8 users spend more money than Android users are a pretty big deal. Those are the kind of statements that will make developers take notice. One of the major reasons that the big name apps are typically released on iOS before Android is due to the fact that iOS users typically are willing to spend more money. If that trend continues it could prove to be a huge part of WP8's success. The fact that more and more big name developers are starting to release apps on the platform, even if they are older apps, shows that developers are beginning to gain confidence in the platform.

In terms of gaming, I think WP8 recently took one of its most important steps, yet it has gone largely unnoticed by people like the article's author simply because it is not as flashy as a brand new game. That step was gaining support for the Unity game engine. The last statistic I saw said that 53% of all iOS/Android games are powered by the Unity engine. If true that means that prior to gaining support for Unity, even if all other deciding factors for a developer to port a game to WP8 were taken care of, over half the games available on iOS/Android could not be ported over to WP8 without redesigning them to work on a completely different game engine. Porting games over to another platform is already hassle enough, and redesigning a game to run on another engine only adds to the cost of development. Now start to add back in the other issues with the platform such as a lack of marketshare and it is pretty easy to see why WP8 has been slow to add new titles. Unity only officially added WP8 support yesterday and even then it is only in beta. It will take some time for us to see the effects of this, but it has laid the foundation for more efficient development of games both new and old alike.

Contrary to popular belief, Microsoft has made some important strides with the platform. These improvements combined with the recent influx of big name apps tend to point to growing confidence in the platform and that can only lead to bigger and better things. I think the biggest threat at this point is whether or not WP8 can sustain/improve its momentum after all of the hype for the galaxy S4 and whatever Apple brings to the table later this year. As long as WP8 can grow its marketshare we will eventually reach a point where developers cannot so easily dismiss us.

Last edited:

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree...WP is slowly building momentum and i think there is still much more to come!
To those who bash WP because of apps, i can just laugh!
1st - i'm a former Android user and out of the 700.000+ apps i used like not even 10...and having quantity does not mean quality, the mixed bag of users reviews often made not want to try many apps, even top ones (like Firefox)
2nd - i found replacements for basically all the apps i had on Android and i can say all of them does not lose in quality...in fact i found some to be even better
3rd - i couldnt care less about Instagram and i'm not the first nor the last WP user to say this

i'm not saying everyone should love WP, we all choose what suits us better...but it does get annoying to hear pplz talking about something they barely know about or out of pure hatred...most of Android users who complain about apps basically uses FB/Instagram or just buy a smartphone for the sake of having one...ofc there are exceptions but we all know that is true and aside from Instagram we do have almost all the rest and what we don't have eventually will come as WP grows

so again, i do not expect everyone to love WP but please inform yourselves better before talking!

Aggemam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's funny. I was just thinking, that's it's getting easier to recommend the WP platform to other than WP fanboys, such as myself. Because of all the apps that has been released recently. I don't get what the whining is about...

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Off topic: What makes developers decide how not to include features on one platform vs another? I keep reading about lack of feature parity a lot recently!
Two reasons 1) limitations of the OS, which can apply to both Android and iOS too and 2) they don't deem WP8 worthy enough to spend time incorporating various features.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i just wish microsoft came to the party in 07/08 because then people wouldnt bash so much on windows because practically everyone would be on an even footing when it came to applications.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Dude he receives paycheck from the biggest troll site. I soon learn to give him a break.

I like Tom and at the end of the day it's about ad revenue and it's his paycheck...he seems personally like a great guy and I enjoy most of his twitter comments...it's his articles that have taken a dive.
There doesn't seem to be any real tech news on theverge other than regurgitated copies of other sites or themselves...

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, whether or not her article is true or not doesn't really matter. The reason that people are calling it click-bait is because of its overly-dramatic title and then fails to bring anything new to the table. Her article pretty much only states what is already common knowledge and is thus largely unnecessary. Worst of all she not only flat out dismisses some of the strides the platform has made in the roughly 5 months it has been out, but she also completely overlooks others. Microsoft has to start somewhere and well-established products are as good a place as any.

Statements like those by the developer of Evernote that WP8 users spend more money than Android users are a pretty big deal. Those are the kind of statements that will make developers take notice. One of the major reasons that the big name apps are typically released on iOS before Android is due to the fact that iOS users typically are willing to spend more money. If that trend continues it could prove to be a huge part of WP8's success. The fact that more and more big name developers are starting to release apps on the platform, even if they are older apps, shows that developers are beginning to gain confidence in the platform.

In terms of gaming, I think WP8 recently took one of its most important steps, yet it has gone largely unnoticed by people like the article's author simply because it is not as flashy as a brand new game. That step was gaining support for the Unity game engine. The last statistic I saw said that 53% of all iOS/Android games are powered by the Unity engine. If true that means that prior to gaining support for Unity, even if all other deciding factors for a developer to port a game to WP8 were taken care of, over half the games available on iOS/Android could not be ported over to WP8 without redesigning them to work on a completely different game engine. Porting games over to another platform is already hassle enough, and redesigning a game to run on another engine only adds to the cost of development. Now start to add back in the other issues with the platform such as a lack of marketshare and it is pretty easy to see why WP8 has been slow to add new titles. Unity only officially added WP8 support yesterday and even then it is only in beta. It will take some time for us to see the effects of this, but it has laid the foundation for more efficient development of games both new and old alike.

Contrary to popular belief, Microsoft has made some important strides with the platform. These improvements combined with the recent influx of big name apps tend to point to growing confidence in the platform and that can only lead to bigger and better things. I think the biggest threat at this point is whether or not WP8 can sustain/improve its momentum after all of the hype for the galaxy S4 and whatever Apple brings to the table later this year. As long as WP8 can grow its marketshare we will eventually reach a point where developers cannot so easily dismiss us.

You said it far better than I did/could.
Kudos.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
i just wish microsoft came to the party in 07/08 because then people wouldnt bash so much on windows because practically everyone would be on an even footing when it came to applications.

No doubt...they are years too late and thus is the reason for them really having to scramble...at the same time, the justice department in the US really killed off the integration they are now doing in the late 1990's and that only ended a couple of years ago.
I'm not so sure in 2007 the government would have allowed them to release Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 that would have the same core and eventually have the ability to run the exact same apps...

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
No doubt...they are years too late and thus is the reason for them really having to scramble...at the same time, the justice department in the US really killed off the integration they are now doing in the late 1990's and that only ended a couple of years ago.
I'm not so sure in 2007 the government would have allowed them to release Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 that would have the same core and eventually have the ability to run the exact same apps...
i agree with you just wishful thinking on my part. I just feel that currently all the hate that microsoft is getting is really unjustified, sure they released a few things half baked but at the end of the day they are just moving in a forward direction. How? I'll tell you, they are taking design philosophy completely seriously, they are sticking to their guns regardless of criticism, they are to some extent heeding the communities pleas, working with OEMS to bring some completely unique looking devices that call out to the attention of multiple people while hitting multiple price points (especially 520/720) and above all bringing speed reliability and fluidity with their products. i commend microsoft because they are different then when i was growing up, are they perfect? no..not by any means, but they are seriously trying to win back some of the trust they lost in the 90's.

Nick Archambault1

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I still do not get everyone's infatuation with Instagram.

The only app I was missing was Pandora which is now available. Otherwise a revamped Facebook and a few other apps being updated to Win 8 is all the platform really needs.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Who gives a flying f what a few ****** bloggers say about a mobile telephone that they obviously don't use? There's too many J. Riveras in the tech blogosphere. They can all fall down an empty elevator shaft into a pile of infected syringes for all I care. Eff em!

Spicymikey

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
No WP8 is not that bad at all. In fact, their pretty damn good. I owned an iPhone for 4 years, had an Android (briefly) and tried a Nokia 920 this January. I'm not 17 so I don't care about games that much anymore. I'm an adult looking for a productivity tool. I'm extremely happy with this. It integrates with by backend servers better than the iPhone. Not nearly as quirky as the Android was, and is on some fantastic hardware from Nokia. I plan to stay with this and don't understand this article. The author sounds like she has an axe to grind

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I mean look, she is right. The article is harsh but accurate. We've had some recent momentum but that doesn't excuse the 4 intervening months since launch with basically jack.

There are a multitude of apps we don't have and many are dealbreakers for people. It's been 2.5 years since WP7 launched and Microsoft has been unbelievably slow in getting key apps on the platform.

As to the writers and click bait headlines - these people get paid on view counts. Headlines that incite and create controversy generate clicks and comments. Places like The Verge want to create as much controversy and stir up as much crap as possible, as that's what brings home the bacon

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The SDK was released just a few months ago and it takes months, typically, to knock at programs. I don't think it's any coincidence that all of these apps are starting to come out. Quite frankly, I expect the flood to continue. A lull might happen here or there, but every time I turn around another app is released. Give it another 3-4 months and I don't think anyone will really be able to run with the app argument anymore. Let's not forget that WP8 is also getting some unique and exclusive apps on top of all these ports.

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, this article and any other review or opinion article means absolutely nothing to me.

All that matters to me is that my phone provides me with what I need and that I enjoy having it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb