03-29-2013 12:51 PM
62 123
tools
    Lots of Instagram apologists here. You can make fun of this app all you want, at the end of the day the fact remains that Instagram, after Twitter and Facebook, is perhaps the biggest 'social network' out there. It's a top app, people love it, people want it, and it's as simple as that. Your denial of this fact won't change anything.
    03-29-2013 08:17 AM
    Lots of Instagram apologists here. You can make fun of this app all you want, at the end of the day the fact remains that Instagram, after Twitter and Facebook, is perhaps the biggest 'social network' out there. It's a top app, people love it, people want it, and it's as simple as that. Your denial of this fact won't change anything.
    As long as we are moving off topic a bit let me ask this.

Who are developers hurting more themselves or us? When it come to business at my company I want to reach as many people as possible. I make sure that every person and company in my target group has access to my goods and services. How is a company like Instagram helping it's bottom line by not becoming part of the WP environment?
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 03-29-2013 at 09:27 AM.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    03-29-2013 09:08 AM

Who are developers hurting more themselves or us? When it come business at my company I want to reach as many people as possible. I make sure that every person and company in my target group has access to my goods and services. How is a company like Instagram helping it bottom line by not becoming part of the WP environment?
    thats a great point thats why it confuses me from the likes of some of these devs even the likes of google whos business is built on gathering information from consumers that shun wp
    03-29-2013 09:16 AM
    Does Z10 have an instagram port already on it?
    03-29-2013 09:59 AM

I'm finding I'm heading more and more back to engadget these days....the layout is simple...it's mostly just fact based with the exception of editorials which is fine...reviews are pretty fair....

While I still think Wired is a viable option for tech news, I totally agree with this statement. Engadget by far has the best articles for tech and they seem to be very unbiased by just describing the news and not taking sides. I see a lot of WP8 news that comes this way from them.
    03-29-2013 10:36 AM
    It has an Android Port that works relatively well enough, but its not in BB World yet. So I wouldn't consider it to be on the platform already, since most wouldn't go to the trouble of side-loading. Normal consumers probably wouldn't even know the term side-loading.

Anyway, BB10 is in no better shape than WP8. WP8 has more quality apps imo. But I have to admit to the point of MS being slow in updates. WP has been out for around 2 years already, and still we lack a notification centre, which is pretty important imo. WP8 is not a new platform even though it might use a different kernel. Most consumers wouldn't care or know about that, because it looks largely the same only with the exception of adjustable tile size. Same thing with BB10, its not exactly a new platform as well. PlayBook which uses the same kernel has been out for around 2 years already. But BlackBerry has it worse as playbook uses a different UI, apps might be easily ported over, but the UI looks out of place. That plus Android apps don't necessarily work well since they use a different type of navigation.

In terms of ecosystem, it is my opinion (not just number of apps, but also quality of apps) that BlackBerry 10 is quite a distant behind Windows Phone. Also don't forget Zinio's recent announcement that they will be bringing their updated app to WP8 first before trickling the design to other platforms. Its a good endorsement imo.

The Wired article isn't exactly wrong, its a little harsh, but I don't see why we need to show leniency to companies. Same goes for BlackBerry too. They have their fair share of "XXX apps not coming to BB10", "BB10 still lacking in apps" articles, and frankly they kinda deserve it. Both also have things still lacking in their OS, features that are still missing, APIs that are not in place yet. They are still relatively new, compared to the matured iOS and Android platform. But that just mean that they have to work extra hard to catch up.

One comment that I have been seeing all too much on BB10 is the statement that BB10 launched with 70,000 apps, which is more than what any other platforms launched with. But its frankly a useless number when many big name apps are not on board yet. And comparing it with something that happened years ago? its like a country saying, "Our new armed forces started with Assault Rifles, Tanks, and Jets. Which is more than what Alexander the Great's Army started with, like swords, spears, and horses." Step 1 towards a better platform is to step out of denial. To be honest, I prefer BB10 over WP8, because it suits my needs better. But I want the both of them to do well. They both provide something unique to the smartphone market, which ultimately more choices is better for consumers.

Apologies for dragging BB talk into this thread, but there are many parallels that can be drawn with both platform, since they are both relatively newer, and are facing similar struggles. End of the day, they just both need to do what they can to get more developers on board. Not just to bring their app over from iOS and Android, but to consider their platform to launch a new app with.
    03-29-2013 11:02 AM

Who are developers hurting more themselves or us? When it come to business at my company I want to reach as many people as possible. I make sure that every person and company in my target group has access to my goods and services. How is a company like Instagram helping it's bottom line by not becoming part of the WP environment?
    Well it's kind of like a company opening a retail store in a new location. Let's suppose the cost of opening a new store is $50,000 one time + $5000 monthly expenses, regardless of wherever you open it. Now you'd want to recover that cost as soon as possible so you'd want to open it in a place that will attract the REQUIRED amount of customers on a CONSTANT basis so that you can 1) recover the one time cost as soon as possible and 2) earn more than your monthly expense.

Project the same situation on Instagram. They spend huge sums of money to develop a top notch app for Windows Phone, and then spend considerable amounts monthly to pay developers and keep the app updated. They might get their initial expenditure back but are there enough users to make the monthly expenses worthwhile? Perhaps it isn't, which is why they are not interested for now.
    03-29-2013 11:17 AM
    There's a working Android port. Not an ideal situation but better than nothing I'd say.
    03-29-2013 11:17 AM

Simple: There are not enough WP users to justify the costs involved in developing and supporting an Instagram app for WP.
    03-29-2013 11:32 AM
    Here's the thing - to a person considering a new smartphone how do you tell them that WP8 is superior to iOS/Android? What are the reasons they should overlook the feature and app holes?
    03-29-2013 11:44 AM
    Simple: There are not enough WP users to justify the costs involved in developing and supporting an Instagram app for WP.
    Exactly. Instagram already has 110 million users. There aren't more then 15 million WP users out there, and only 5-6 million WP8 users.
    03-29-2013 11:45 AM
    i just wish microsoft came to the party in 07/08 because then people wouldnt bash so much on windows because practically everyone would be on an even footing when it came to applications.
    MS was there in 2008, just with the crappy Windows Mobile, which was fragmented beyond belief. I had a Samsung Omnia then, the so called competitor to the iPhone... it was laughably bad. Completely underpowered, no headphone jack, resistive screen, etc. The WM business model was Blackberry-like...corporate only. There was no centralized app store, just junky third party websites like Handango and PocketPC something or other. They would not have been on an even footing because MS doesn't like to take risks or explore new markets and products outside of enterprise.

Bill Gates turned down an eBook reader developed in their labs in 1998 and told them to integrate it into Windows Mobile instead, calling it Microsoft Reader. As usual, they didn't do any due diligence in terms of talking to publishers to bring them on board, leaving it to third parties that had nowhere near the leverage that MS did. in 2006 Amazon put out the Kindle and effectively made ebooks a multi billion dollar business.

Its all about having vision. Microsoft's problem, like BB, is that they tend to follow market trends instead of leading them. Listening to your customers works in enterprise, but the consumer market doesn't know what it wants until they see it. kinect is a good example of taking the lead by extending the functionality of motion controlled gaming that Nintendo premiered with the Wii. The combination of Halo and Xbox live was also ahead of its time. But in mobile MS moves very very slowly.
    03-29-2013 12:51 PM
62 123