Is it just me or all the ones that own a WP are geeks?

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
What I mean is that you see people with iPhones and androids all the time, but I barely see any WP on the street.. Maybe is a U.S thing only, who knows..

Thanks in advance for commenting..

Cheers..

Kevyn Degia

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
U.S. has a weird love/hate with MS products. I think it will never gain much in the US.
Fortunately the world isn't only the United States, slowly MS is realizing that. But they have to move faster!
WP8 can have a great success in countries like Russia and other Eastern European countries, Brazil, China, India, then maybe Western Europe.

Here in Italy wp marketshare is > 10% (mainly thanks to Nokia). I have seen quite a few people with a Lumia device, from a 14yo school girl, up to a 50ish woman. Unfortunately for people from 20 up to 40 yo it will be never so cool as an iphone

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Ney Sayers!.. Haha.. I've noticed in the Northeast US MS/Nok. Is slow to adopt, however in California and the south of US adoption seems to thrive.. Had a convo with sales rep today and we were bantering about this exact topic..

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
New England here and huge WP fan. Had the trophy and now the 822 and love it, but might upgrade to a higher end Nokia if it has a removable battery and SD card slot like the 822

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Erickson you notice around your area the adoption of Wp? Here in jerz/nyc I see more and more winphones, however slow to adopt.. Weird, however when I was out West I observed many people had winphones and I did see more proactive advertising there, more so than here in the East.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Geeks tinker with their phones. WP doesn't allow for much tinkering. Android is a geek's phone, WP is for people who want something new and different from the standard grid-based app launcher.

icyrock1

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
It has to do with the mentality associated with iPhone's and popular android devices. At my high school, iPhone's and Galaxy devices are king. I've seen one person with a WP. A while ago, I was talking with some friends and one of them said (we were talking about track [lol, we got wayyyy off the original topic] and it lead to a person we know who had recently gotten a WP); "Lol, what? He uses a Windows Phone? Why not just get an iPhone?". And it hit me; most of the phone trends of what phones will, and won't sell are based on what there friends get and buy. Since he had an iPhone, he didn't understand why anyone would want anything else. But I think there's more to it than that. People are afraid of change, and leaving what they know. Especially if it is going to cost them $200 on a contract.

Those that do take the jump, are normally either trend starters or the adventurous ones.

Just my 2?.

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Cameradork, I c your point and its valid.. Some folks like to tinker, however the majority of people have things going on in their lives so at the end of a business day the last thing one wants is to tinker or configure, I fall somewhere in the middle I just want it to work and the WP is on its way there..

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Geeks tinker with their phones. WP doesn't allow for much tinkering. Android is a geek's phone, WP is for people who want something new and different from the standard grid-based app launcher.

Not all of us.. I like to tinker, but with my laptop.. Have Linux and W8.. I like something that works for my phone since I use it for most of the day..

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I chose WP -- for whatever reason: device design, compatibility, fresh and individual UI experience. Until Thursday I was using webOS and there isn?t another mobile OS (out at the moment) which could compete against it in means of multi-tasking and intuitiveness.

I knew the capabilities of WP and therefore if it fits my needs BEFORE I bought my 8X. If people don't bother about this, I don't know what to call them -- I call myself an individualist.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

jdriscoll636

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll tell you my storey, I'm 29 and live in central New York. I had been using android since cup cake, and my sprint contract was about to be up. I had for months been looking for a new phone to upgrade to. So when black Friday hit, I got myself a gs3. I had it for a week, and I liked it at first, but because of the network and constant roaming I returned the phone and jumped ship to Verizon. While at Verizon I had a note 2, the network was good, but I was constantly worried about my data cap. So I played with the note 2 for 10 days, and after an error with my pay check I returned the phone. Now at this point I had known about NL 920 since its announcement and had wanted one. I was just worried that there would be no apps for the os, and I would be wasting my money. Well after fixing the error with my paycheck, I just bit the bullet and got the NL920. I went through 2 high end android phones, and was not fully happy with either. I love my NL920, I can't say enough about it. I don't think I will ever go back to android, and I've talked my mother in law into switching.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not all of us.. I like to tinker, but with my laptop.. Have Linux and W8.. I like something that works for my phone since I use it for most of the day..

Cameradork, I c your point and its valid.. Some folks like to tinker, however the majority of people have things going on in their lives so at the end of a business day the last thing one wants is to tinker or configure, I fall somewhere in the middle I just want it to work and the WP is on its way there..

Yeah, I guess my post came out wrong. The OP asked if only geeks have Windows Phones. I was just trying to say that Windows phone is not targeted at geeks' geekiness (like Android) because it lacks the ability to easily get your hands dirty with the OS. It's targeted at a broad audience - lots of different types of people have WPs. If geeks use it, it's not because it's a geeky phone, it's for the same reasons that it appeals to non-geeks - it's pretty, smooth, different, and works really well.

Make sense?

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Erickson you notice around your area the adoption of Wp? Here in jerz/nyc I see more and more winphones, however slow to adopt.. Weird, however when I was out West I observed many people had winphones and I did see more proactive advertising there, more so than here in the East.

I do,t really see many of them. Some of the people at my work I have showed mine have been impressed a,d some are on IOS and have said wow your apps look nice, one even got the 822. They had issues with their battery and Verizon wouldn't do anything about it so she went back to her iPhone but uses the 822 as a music player still.

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Heaven knows I'm not a "geek". I don't know code, hacking, or what NT or anything else like that. I cam easily use a computer, but that's it.

Now, I have unlocked my old Imagio running CE, and rooted my old TB running android. But only with a ton of help.

With that said, I can honestly say if they develop a way to give us rights on this phone, I WON'T be using it!
Sent from my wicked sexy HTC 8X windows phone using Board Express

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Yea makes good sense dude!

Yeah, I guess my post came out wrong. The OP asked if only geeks have Windows Phones. I was just trying to say that Windows phone is not targeted at geeks' geekiness (like Android) because it lacks the ability to easily get your hands dirty with the OS. It's targeted at a broad audience - lots of different types of people have WPs. If geeks use it, it's not because it's a geeky phone, it's for the same reasons that it appeals to non-geeks - it's pretty, smooth, different, and works really well.

Make sense?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)