How often do you use Data Sense/NFC/Kid's Corner/Rooms ?

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I would say almost never (but still 3 great features)

If they would have given 30/30 volume instead of 19/19 , Kid's corner would have been my media center.NFC is mostly good for WP to WP and useless most of the time (Bluetooth better for sharing) and Data Sense is not much needed since I am on Wifi most of the time.

Rooms - Never tried it even once

All these are WP8 features...........

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Data Sense not available for me yet. But I have a friend that plans on using it when he buys a 928 from Verizon. He monitors his data like a hawk and this is a big feature for him.

NFC I kind of see as it was put in there for the cool feature factor and for future use. They need to figure out how and where they want to use it and grow it from there. Is it more than just a gimmick?

I don't have kids of the age where Kid's Corner is useful. But I could definitely see myself using it for car rides or trips to keep them occupied when they were younger.

I would like to use the Rooms feature. But only 2 of us in the family have WP8. Two others have 7.5 and the other two iphones. I could see plenty of uses for it if we could all get on the same page.

DurnDurnDurn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Rooms, NFC, and Data Sense are all great. My wife has an 822 and I still have a trophy until the 928 comes out. But she set up a Room for us and it'll only get better once I get a WP8. Data Sense saves us a ton on data. I plan on writing some apps using NFC once I get my phone. Kid's Corner will be utilized once our daughter gets older. I plan on using them all. Most frequently used right now are Data sense and Rooms.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Data Sense is a cool easy way to see how much data you use in which apps. I'll open that every now and then. NFC I use if somebody next to me wants a picture or contact or video or something like that. Kids Corner I've never used. No kids. Rooms is cool because my mom has an 8x and dad has a 820. Whenever I go on vacation I drop some of my photos in there or have a chat with them. My mom will post a grocery list in there so whoever goes to the store knows what to get. We keep some passwords in there for things in our house (nothing super secure, just WiFi and stuff like that). Another cool thing is the calendar being synchronized between the three of us! Our room is called the Family Room, but hats the only room I have. Very useful, though!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Data sense not available.
NFC - frequently!
Kid's Corner - for giving my phone to friends to play with i.e. demo unit with awesome apps sometimes.
Rooms - very often - amazing feature, love it!

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
No data sense here. NFC now and then. Kids Corner - never on my phone, now and then for my girlfriend. Tried rooms when we first got the phones but now never

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I use Kid's Corner as an emergency info corner with allergies and emergency contacts as well as a map and flashlight app

nilchak

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
NFC makes great sense if you only know when and how to use it.
Came across this NFC Tag / QR Code in my parking lot - a boon to help remind all parking their cars the floor on which I parked - a great help as I (and many like me) forget the floor day to day.
This allows me to just park, tap and go to the train station.NJ_Commuter_NFC.png

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Data Sense isn't available and I don't even have a data plan.

NFC I've never used. Idk what it would be useful for at the moment.

I haven't even set up Kid's Corner, I don't like letting people use my phone lol.

I would LOVE to use Rooms but hardly anyone I know has a WP. It's such a great feature to have though, so I hope WP gets popular so I can actually use Rooms.

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Data Sense - Not available on AT&T

NFC - I've fiddled around with it some.

Kids' Corner - Not at all, but jhguth's idea seems like a good one. I might try that.

Rooms - I would love to use this, but (1) I only know one other with WP8 and (2) I don't need to share calendar/photos/etc. with him.

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I would say almost never (but still 3 great features)

If they would have given 30/30 volume instead of 19/19 , Kid's corner would have been my media center.NFC is mostly good for WP to WP and useless most of the time (Bluetooth better for sharing) and Data Sense is not much needed since I am on Wifi most of the time.

Rooms - Never tried it even once

All these are WP8 features...........

The problem is that all these features require carrier support (Rogers deactivates datasense for their MyAccount tile) or requires other people to have WP8 devices. NFC sharing doesn't seem to work with GS3 devices as these devices don't seem to recognize my Lumia 920. My kid isn't old enough for kids corner but I know it will be useful eventually. I do use a family room occasionally with my wife to share photos and videos.

Its like that with all phone features... most are just gimicky things. Siri for example... no one uses it except to show someone how great their phone is. Its all about the quality of first party services like email, skydrive, xbox music, etc. This is where iOS sucks balls are relies on the vast app library... their first part services blow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon