2 Win8 phones, 1 Hotmail account, don't need each others contacts question

starwarsclark

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
I have just updated my wife - sorry meant phone! - to a shiny new HTC 8S that accompanies my Nokia 820. We only have 1 Microsoft account and I am signed into that and all was fine, yesterday my wife had 5 8S updates and she had to sign into a Microsoft account to get the update, OK I thought lets sign her in. So far so good, however I now have my wife's contacts on my phone and she has my contacts and work contacts on her phone, as well as photos etc.

Is there an easy way to either stop us getting each others contacts please? Can you filter by individual contact? Do I just sign her out of the account (if you can) if so what happens next time the phone needs an update?
One more question - My wife does not have any need for data, she uses her phone for phone calls and texts! Incredible eh! is there a way to turn off all data connections but leave Wi-Fi (just in case) at home, that also means she gets her calls and texts?

Sorry for the questions, I am sure it is obvious but I am new to the Win8 phone experience - Loving it so far, so much better looking than that Apple thing I had before. :excited:

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You can't sync two phones with one account and not expect all the stuff in include.

However, way around is - in People's Hub, you can tap ..., then settings and then filter contacts - and untick "Live/Microsoft Account" - that way your contacts are only hidden in the phone book. She can sync her contacts into an existing another email account i.e. gmail, yahoo whatever and always add new contact to those accounts OR create new contacts on the phone (which will sync to the hotmail account by default!)
If you don't want that then under email+accounts settings, under sync settings - untick "contacts" on her phone so it won't sync your hotmail contacts.

However, the easiest way is - have two separate accounts. I see why you have chose one account - single app purchase?

In that case, her contacts need to be sync into another email service or locally. She can hide contacts from People's hub using "filter" as I described and stop the sync from email+accounts as I described.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I would hard reset her phone and sign her up for her own Microsoft Account. It really is the simplest thing to do...

I think if you contact your provider you may be able to limit/block the data connection so she can't use it (kind of like setting it up the way they do some teenager's phones).

If she's never had a smartphone before, I'd wait on blocking/limiting the data connection. My wife was someone who only used it for phonecalls (not texts!) and now does lots of stuff with it that she couldn't do before since she didn't have a smartphone...

starwarsclark

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to both of you for the replies, I will see which is better and easier to do.
With regards to the data question - Her phone tariff doesn't include any data and she has never expressed an interest in it, it would be easier if I can get it blocked and then if she ever looks interested she can try it through the home Wi-Fi (which she will need to connect to for the phone updates anyway) before looking at her phone tariff.

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
If you go into Settings and then Mobile Network, you can turn the cellular data connection off in there. Hope that helps!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)