Data used from restoring a backup

bennogf

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, just wondering if there is a way to turn WiFi on before doing a phone restore, after factory resetting your phone? I've done two factory resets this month and the ******* phone ate 400mb of data!

Cheers,

Benno.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That's a lot of data!!!

I restored my phone via the backup a couple of times, and it used barely 20MB each time, if that.
The trick is to go to Wi-FI and turn it on (turn Data Connection off) as soon as the phone has booted to the Home screen. That way no data is really used. Just enough to get the e-mail account stuff set up....

bennogf

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The only problem is that if I want to restore it from a previous back up it seems to only give me the option when the initial setup is being performed and it doesn't allow deviation from that screen until the set up is complete, so no chance to activate wifi.

If you don't choose to perform a restore is there a way to initiate a restore outside of the initial setup?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That's normal...

You can't restore a backup if you choose to start from scratch. You have to do it when it asks.

The main bulk of the data usage is restoring any apps etc. This won't start until the phone has made it through to the Home screen. You can go into settings and switch over to Wi-Fi.
The data used during the 'restore from backup' phase is minimal. You will notice that part is very quick. It's just restoring e-mail account details, bookmarks, SMS and the like. After that it asks you to login to any e-mail accounts. It hasn't started to restore apps yet, so data use will be small.

I was worried the first time I did it because I thought it was restoring everything, but it wasn't.....

bennogf

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I thought it would be minimal too, however, for me it seems that it is not. It takes around five or more minutes to finish downloading using LTE - I've previously tested the LTE in my area and consistently got speeds of over 70Mbps - I disabled data when the handset allows me to use the settings and activated WiFi to download apps. As I'm usually not far from WiFi I doubt it would be anything else raping my data since I've done it twice, checked my data usage and ~200MB has been eaten up both times.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
That's a lot of data!!!

I restored my phone via the backup a couple of times, and it used barely 20MB each time, if that.
The trick is to go to Wi-FI and turn it on (turn Data Connection off) as soon as the phone has booted to the Home screen. That way no data is really used. Just enough to get the e-mail account stuff set up....

iOS always gives the option to connect through wifi before any data transmission is needed. Android does the same thing. Learn from your competition.

Last months, I reset my phone three or four times. I had 200M plan (I am cheap). I had to turn off my cellular connection for 20+ days.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
iOS always gives the option to connect through wifi before any data transmission is needed. Android does the same thing. Learn from your competition.

Last months, I reset my phone three or four times. I had 200M plan (I am cheap). I had to turn off my cellular connection for 20+ days.

me too!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I am sure Microsoft will fix this in the next update.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
nah. the backup itself only contains messages, your theme color and alist of your apps and your accounts. This part takes less than 10MB for me. The problem is the apps automatically downloading, but you can safely turn off cellular data and turn on wifi to download the apps.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I am sure Microsoft will fix this in the next update.

I am not as confident as you are. I started using htc titan Dec., 2011 and I noticed this defect at that time. I was as confident as you are. A year and half later, even with WP8, it is still not fixed. I am not sure someone from Microsoft even knows this. Can someone point me to a suggested improvement website for windows phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb