Accessing files on SD card. (WP8, Lumia 810)

Pete Alvarez

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
So, I've used the search function to find it, but I don't seem to see an answer. (I only looked for about 10 minutes, so it may just be buried deeper)

I've had my Lumia 810 for about a week, and so far I'm loving it. I was nervous about switching from android, but I think I made a good choice.
For the most part, I'm getting used to the new way of doing things, but there are a couple of issues I have.

1. Is there any way to just browse the file folders on the SD card from within the phone itself? I use my phone's SD card as storage for a lot of files (office documents, pdfs, etc.) and I want to be able to just dig through the file folders like in windows explorer. Android did this easily, and I just assumed that windows would let me look at file folders on the phone the way windows lets me look at file folders on the desktop. This just seems like a really odd functionality to be missing, and I'm hoping that I am just overlooking it, or at least there is an app that functions like explorer.

2. Is there a way to change the search button so that it uses a different software. I installed the google search app, because bing just doesn't bring up results I am interested in, but I would like to be able to go straight to it from the search button.

Vaibhav Chauhan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
1. No, WP doesn't have a file explorer in the phone itself yet, you can access music from Music + Videos or Nokia Music, videos in Music + Videos, documents from the office app. (Documents should be on phone memory, and i think documents in sub-folders in "Documents" folders dont show up, also, PDFs wont come up in PDF reader app, you have to open them from office app only)
2. No, search button is bing only. For google you need to use the browser.

Ben Loomis

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I would desperately like a Windows Explorer app to be able to move files around and keep thing organized. I don't want to have to take the SD card out of the phone on a regular basis.

As far as the Search Engine question goes; one can go to Settings, swipe left to Applications, go to IE and then to Advanced. At this point you will be able to select to use Bing (default (of course)) or Google (glad the choice it there at least!).

The Lumia Storage Checker app may work for some people, doesn't work for my 620 now. I'm hoping for some type of update to allow that to work. It will allow for storage of Nokia offline maps on the SD card! I love offline maps as I don't have a data plan and no one has 100% coverage that would allow for totally reliable navigation.

Ben

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So, I've used the search function to find it, but I don't seem to see an answer. (I only looked for about 10 minutes, so it may just be buried deeper)

I've had my Lumia 810 for about a week, and so far I'm loving it. I was nervous about switching from android, but I think I made a good choice.
For the most part, I'm getting used to the new way of doing things, but there are a couple of issues I have.

1. Is there any way to just browse the file folders on the SD card from within the phone itself? I use my phone's SD card as storage for a lot of files (office documents, pdfs, etc.) and I want to be able to just dig through the file folders like in windows explorer. Android did this easily, and I just assumed that windows would let me look at file folders on the phone the way windows lets me look at file folders on the desktop. This just seems like a really odd functionality to be missing, and I'm hoping that I am just overlooking it, or at least there is an app that functions like explorer.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a file explorer/file manager of any type. What I've heard so far is that the total security that WP8 OS relies on is that no apps can access a file location so if a file explorer was implemented then it would compromise the OS. Allowing viruses and other malware. I am hoping that this isn't true but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Skydrive and Office hub are the closest things you have to any sort of 'file manager' and that's probably all you'll ever have on WP.

2. Is there a way to change the search button so that it uses a different software. I installed the google search app, because bing just doesn't bring up results I am interested in, but I would like to be able to go straight to it from the search button.

As the others have stated you can't change the search button to anything other than Bing, you also can't shut it off. IE is also the only browser you can have as default. You're stuck to what files you can download and what files can be attached to emails.

So aside from the fact that you probably won't find all the apps you had on Android you also get less functions than you're used to. Welcome to WP :)

Lumio

May 16, 2013
Visit site
From what i've read on a forum, there's a trick for setting "Google" as your default search instead of Bing, if you fiddle with settings.

Settings > System > language + region > Browser & Search language
- Set it to Russian (russia)

Now the search button should open "Google" (Russia) instead of Bing, though the search results will be in English only.

Markus G

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Answer to your question #2. This is easy.

I have a Nokia Lumia 620, but you should be able to do this on all Windows 8 Phones:
1) Open your IE browser
2) Select "Settings" from the menu.
3) Hit the "Advanced Settings" button.
4) Select "Google" as your default search provider instead of Bing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Answer to your question #2. This is easy.

I have a Nokia Lumia 620, but you should be able to do this on all Windows 8 Phones:
1) Open your IE browser
2) Select "Settings" from the menu.
3) Hit the "Advanced Settings" button.
4) Select "Google" as your default search provider instead of Bing.

Um, they stated 'Search Button', as in the physical button, not IE search. Doing what you suggest does not change the search button default.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Did anybody check this application?? Can we open files, share files via this application???

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't have an SD card so can't test. Some files you can view directly others need to be renamed (I don't like that idea much) but it appears you can open the file as long as there's a program but you can't do much else as it states SD is Read Only.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an SD card so can't test. Some files you can view directly others need to be renamed (I don't like that idea much) but it appears you can open the file as long as there's a program but you can't do much else as it states SD is Read Only.

Yeah, just read article about this app in wmpoweruser. You can't edit,move,copy,etc due to Read-Only thing. Limited support for some files now. But you can view it by renaming format to .kirik, .pdf is included but no office files. I hope they will add support for more file formats. Though it's limited, it's a start. I hope MS would bring some openness for SD card & so we can have limited file manager for at least SD card files. Hope.... ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

anon(5844482)

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
PDFs can be viewed and opened directly. Office files or any other files can be opened by adding .kirik to their extension. ANY FILE will work if there is an opener app.

charliechaplin1

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
hi you know how you said that android phones you could access the SD card files on the mobile phone? well i have an android phone and don't know how to do it :unhappy::unhappysweat:. could you please tell me? thanks, charliechaplin1 :smile:

Vaibhav Chauhan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Wrong forum.
But still, simply go to play store and search file manager or file browser. You'll get tons of options.
hi you know how you said that android phones you could access the SD card files on the mobile phone? well i have an android phone and don't know how to do it :unhappy::unhappysweat:. could you please tell me? thanks, charliechaplin1 :smile:

detealin

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys!
Im 4 days in to Windows Phone. Coming from android, it's getting harder and harder to adapt to it. Here are two aspects im having trouble with:
1. I connect my Lumia 520 to my PC. The 'Windows Phone app for desktop' works just great: i can store, browse, whatever - but Nokia Suite isnt recognizing the Phone. My phone does not display the option to connect by Nokia Suite when I plug it in the USB. Is there something im missing out here?
[Im running windows7(x86)]
2. I understand i can't browse through the files (read the posts above) but is there any place i can find files that are not common for WP? (not music, videos, pictures, pdfs, .xlsx, .doc... whatever).
Thanks a lot!

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys!
Im 4 days in to Windows Phone. Coming from android, it's getting harder and harder to adapt to it. Here are two aspects im having trouble with:
1. I connect my Lumia 520 to my PC. The 'Windows Phone app for desktop' works just great: i can store, browse, whatever - but Nokia Suite isnt recognizing the Phone. My phone does not display the option to connect by Nokia Suite when I plug it in the USB. Is there something im missing out here?
[Im running windows7(x86)]
2. I understand i can't browse through the files (read the posts above) but is there any place i can find files that are not common for WP? (not music, videos, pictures, pdfs, .xlsx, .doc... whatever).
Thanks a lot!

#1 - Nokia PC Suite is not applicable to WP8.

#2. No.

kreativmaestro

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I too just switched from great Android TAB 2 to Nokia Lumia 520.

Tried file manager which doesnt exist and Googling couldn;t answer too :(
Tried Inserting Android SD Card into WP, again I couldn;t browse.
Most of the Google Applications aren't available for Windows Phones, which isn;t that good. I dint like this strategy at all. Rivals are between Google & Windows, why customers suffer. :(

Now, changing to WIndows is a fun in the way that its superb fast but I'm still looking for features of Android, which hangs my TAB too often... :)

Last edited:

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Folks, somebody already posted that by design, applications are sandboxed. So a file explorer will never happen until a new API or WP OS is made.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb