Comparison photos: Lumia 720 vs Lumia 920 vs Lumia 820

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Long-time Windows Phone user. LG Optimus 7 > Lumia 900 > Lumia 920.

Anyhow, the camera on the Lumia 920 is truly amazing at times, but the newly-released Lumia 720 looks pretty great as well. I took the 720 and the 920 out for a few snapshots this weekend, and I'm posting my results for others to see.

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

I also recently acquired a Lumia 820 that I'm adding into the comparison. I hope to have shots from all three phones posted later this afternoon. Enjoy!

Yip

Note: all camera settings are on Default, 16:9 format, Focus Assist turned off, and Tap-to-focus used as method for snapping photos. "Close-up" setting is noted when used.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
You seem to have the same focusing problem that I've got on my 920. It only seems to focus on a small area of the entire shot and the rest of the shot is blurred and out of focus.

stevemcgf

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
You seem to have the same focusing problem that I've got on my 920. It only seems to focus on a small area of the entire shot and the rest of the shot is blurred and out of focus.

Hey! That's not a problem but a feature! Due to aperture of f2.0 is a very good effect remove background distraction. You will mostly see this problem on close up photos.
BTW this aperture value is what let the lumia 920 take better photos with low light.

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Note that I used "tap to focus" every time I snapped a photo. The blurry portions of the photo are very typical for "close-up" shots, and (quite honestly) is an effect that I very much like :)

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Not surprising, I do think the 920 has the best camera. But I am amazed by the 720, it really holds its own. It does give the 920 a run for its money on a few shots. And the 820 just lags in comparison. Owning a 820 myself, I am looking forward to my 720 that should be arriving in a couple of days. :smile:

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I actually had my daughter scroll through each of these photos with me last night. She didn't know what it was for, or what pictures had been taken with which camera. The end result was her picking the Lumia 720 as the "best" about 55% of the time, with the Lumia 920 coming shortly thereafter. She never picked the 820 for any of them. Not once.

Anyhow, the Lumia 920 really does seem to have overall better capability, but the 720 really holds it's own -- and sometimes (to my eyes) looks better. I assume that Nokia will release a firmware update for the Lumia 720 sometime soon, and the camera will get even better!

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I constantly get good shots with my Lumia but out in broad daylight it does seem too suffer slightly which is a annoying. I wish we were about to adjust the aperture for daylight and landscape shots.........

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
looking at a few pictures there, did you take the original camera app on all phones? 920&720 seem to have unnaturally high saturation, or is that intended?

Johan Bonilla

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
hi, i used to have a lumia 900, and the pics were awesome for me, i look at your album and for me is 920>720>820, and i want to buy a lumia 720, dont have the money for the 925, do you think the 720 outperform the 900 in terms of photos?

freebirdmanjil

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Lumia 720 for about a month now and for me it shoots great photos at night but not so great on daylight..it lacks detail and sharpness..my previous iPhone 4 with 5 mp camera captured more detail than my Lumia:(..hope it gets better with amber update

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss