People Hub doesn't get private messages?

Oxymoron428

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
The people hub is EXCELLENT! It notifies you with anyone's actions (upload photos, post on my timeline, tags, etc.), but it doesn't seen to notify me when I get a private message. Is there any way I can set it to do this?

Oxymoron428

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I'm referring to the Facebook messages. But they don't come in my messages hub at all, and I have Facebook chat enabled :/

I can send messages through Facebook chat in people hub, but if someone sends me a private message (by clicking, "send a private message" on my wall instead of clicking my Facebook chat icon), then I won't get it on my phone.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm referring to the Facebook messages. But they don't come in my messages hub at all, and I have Facebook chat enabled :/

I can send messages through Facebook chat in people hub, but if someone sends me a private message (by clicking, "send a private message" on my wall instead of clicking my Facebook chat icon), then I won't get it on my phone.

You will get only messages from people who are "online" on their Facebook. Anyone appearing offline, won't be able to send the messages to your phone.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-facebook-chat-and-messenger-windows-phone

Oxymoron428

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Don't think I've even got a "private message" option on my FB....

Remember back in the day before Facebook chat? Where you can just send a plain ol' message? Those messages.

And thanks Rockstarzz. That's disappointing, but at least I know my phone doesn't have a problem. :)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Remember back in the day before Facebook chat? Where you can just send a plain ol' message? Those messages.

And thanks Rockstarzz. That's disappointing, but at least I know my phone doesn't have a problem. :)

If you have free SMS in plan, you can turn on facebook mobile and messages from people appearing offline will come through as a text that you can reply.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure the People hub wouldn't be the place for this, but I'm split on the underlying point. On one hand, integration as a concept is highly appealing. On the other, I think the current system highlights how hard it is. The problem is simple: text messaging, Messenger and Facebook chat are three different services that are likely used in several different ways by a single user. That makes the integrated approach a hard problem to solve – perhaps too hard?

My anecdote: as Facebook's messaging became integrated across chat+inbox a while ago, I use it primarily like email: if there's someone I'm perhaps not super-close to who I want to contact, I'll send them a Facebook message. Sometimes this will be for the intent of it ending up in their Facebook inbox, sometimes it will be when they are online on chat. As for Messenger / Skype, that's purely for instant messaging (especially with Skype's weird sync issues). Text messaging is for asynchronous communication with close friends.

Because of this, I rarely make use of any of the Messaging integration on Windows Phone. I want text messaging to have that priority that I personally put on it, and not have it flooded by the messages from other services that I use for different purposes and to varying degrees.

Cadet Christmas

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
If you have free SMS in plan, you can turn on facebook mobile and messages from people appearing offline will come through as a text that you can reply.

I have never thought of this. YOU sir deserve a baked good, or something equally great. Normally I would just pin the "messages" section of the Facebook app to the home screen, but I might be doin Facebook mobile now :)

If you've used it before.... It will be a text just for the private messages I hope? And not include the chats?

Oxymoron428

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I have never thought of this. YOU sir deserve a baked good, or something equally great. Normally I would just pin the "messages" section of the Facebook app to the home screen, but I might be doin Facebook mobile now :)

If you've used it before.... It will be a text just for the private messages I hope? And not include the chats?

I think you could set it that way. I have it set so that only messages will appear.

Thanks Rockstarzz :)

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
One feature that must be added. I think we should get Facebook messages, online or not, pushed down to the texting app. I have this happen and resort to the mobile site as my conversation was happening with a person that was not online just on mobile. Got real old, real fast. This, plus re-sharing, and new tagging features need to roll out to wp8 so that facebook feels complete. I love chatting online with Facebook friends, but without getting the whole experience it feels lacking.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
One feature that must be added. I think we should get Facebook messages, online or not, pushed down to the texting app. I have this happen and resort to the mobile site as my conversation was happening with a person that was not online just on mobile. Got real old, real fast. This, plus re-sharing, and new tagging features need to roll out to wp8 so that facebook feels complete. I love chatting online with Facebook friends, but without getting the whole experience it feels lacking.

That feature already exists. Sign into the phone with your fb account and then go to messaging settings and turn on fb chat. Voila

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos