When live tiles stop working...

simbadogg

Aug 28, 2008
Visit site
I've done some searches in the past, and I'm trying to figure out, what should I do when live tiles just stop updating. I've tried restarting the device, disabling then re-enabling background tasks, unpinning then repinning pinned apps, uninstalling apps and sometimes it just doesn't work. Seriously I've gone two day w/out my live tiles working and it just makes the phone borderline unusable.

And for whatever reason, whenever I toggle airplane mode, this always seems to happen, does anyone else have this problem, specifically with airplane mode?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It is a known bug that WP8 live tile requires an active network connection. MS is aware of that and hopefully will fix it in next update.

simbadogg

Aug 28, 2008
Visit site
That isn't the problem. Whether on LTE, WiFi or at&t "4g" it doesn't update. Rebooting under each of those network connections doesn't work. I know toast notifications and live tile updates come over cellular, but it isn't working. Its been about 35 hours, and 10 reboots with still no fix.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What I mean is that when you put phone into airplane mode, it triggers that bug and all updates stop even if they don't need network connections. What happens afterwards is anyone's guess. A lot posts about this in the past. Most point fingers to certain weather apps. You may need to uninstall your apps one at a time until you find the fix.

The core problem is still within OS. It is buggy in WP7 and still buggy in WP8.

simbadogg

Aug 28, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I'm having this problem again. This time completely unrelated to airplane mode. All live tiles haven't updated in almost a full day, the only one that has had been metro talk, but that's just because its one of the few that I have that actually gets push notifications. Basically all my background agents for all apps have stopped working.

saputraj

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I found out that aside from LiveTiles not working, my accent color reverted back to Dark/Cobalt combo at each reset. I did a hardreset via buttons combinations and bricked my phone. Luckily I had the portico firmware backup. I was able to resurrect the phone and reupdated it via OTA to 1308. Now my LiveTiles and accent color work again.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I found out that aside from LiveTiles not working, my accent color reverted back to Dark/Cobalt combo at each reset. I did a hardreset via buttons combinations and bricked my phone. Luckily I had the portico firmware backup. I was able to resurrect the phone and reupdated it via OTA to 1308. Now my LiveTiles and accent color work again.

Yeah - I also decided to do a full reset of my 920 to try and fix it. Then the phone got stuck for 8 hours on the gears. Had to use an old firmware backup and re-flash the phone - if I hadn't already downloaded that (Nokia no longer allows downloading these) I would have had to send the phone back to ATT. Then everything restored. Wasted an entire weekend day fighting this. Took a couple of days for all apps to update back to latest versions. OS eventually updated to latest version after about 5 updates.

This fixed my 3rd Party Live Tile updates for about 5 days. Then they stopped working again.

This continual, ongoing issue is really making WP8 useless for me. When Live Tiles don't update, it's really a crippled OS, as so much of the functionality depends on it. When Live Tiles don't work, combined with no notification center, I'd be better off back on the buggy iOS with it's Windows 3.0 interface.... I bought the 920 at launch, and if it actually worked I'd really like it. But I can't keep fighting the OS breaking (and this is my second 920 as the first one burned out it's own battery a few months ago)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos