WP8 Blue Concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't angry at all, I was quoting the quote so you can see if you look at it, it does indeed follow metro guidelines. Clean, Fast Modern, Motion and most importantly efficient. I'm just saying lol, and my GF also agrees that while she won't use it she sees nothing wrong with it. She and a few other friends said it look like W8 on the PC.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't angry at all, I was quoting the quote so you can see if you look at it, it does indeed follow metro guidelines. Clean, Fast Modern, Motion and most importantly efficient. I'm just saying lol, and my GF also agrees that while she won't use it she sees nothing wrong with it. She and a few other friends said it look like W8 on the PC.

Trust me mate, you sounded angry -- like I said, there were too many words written in capitals for it not to look angry. Most people who disagreed, you answered back like you was angry.

I appreciate your opinion, as you should others. End of the day opinions are like 'bumholes' -- everybody has one lol.

May I suggest if you want to emphasise so many words, put them in single quotations, that way you won't come over has being so angry.

May I wish you a good afternoon (UK) my dear sir. Bye

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
May I wish you a good morning from the US. ;D Going to a theme park today anyway back to being on topic.

I'm sorry that I'm angry, I capitalize words I want to emphasize, I know a bad habit, but it stuck with me for some reason. I appreciate your opinion.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
OP is missing the point. Yes WP can or should have whatever function other OSs have. But it has to present in a WP way. The concept you show us is nothing but a Android wannabee with WP-ish skin or at best a WP with Android theme/shell.

Exactly. This concept is a far miss from WP UI standards and quality.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't get these concepts, there was some really good stuff in there but it will never come to fruition. Why go through all the trouble of designing a concept and publishing it for everyone to see. This has no effect on what Microsoft is going to do. I guess it's just for fun. Maybe I'm an old stinker.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys can anyone tell me why my data limit for downloading apps via cellular data connection only 20Mb im from india

That's kind off topic, but I think you need to get in contact with your Network Provider -- only they can tell you what your download limit is. I don't have that problem, as mine is unlimited.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't get these concepts, there was some really good stuff in there but it will never come to fruition. Why go through all the trouble of designing a concept and publishing it for everyone to see. This has no effect on what Microsoft is going to do. I guess it's just for fun. Maybe I'm an old stinker.

Ha ha ha. I think so they can either get a job out of it, or make money from their idea. It can't be for fun, as you said it has no effect on what Microsoft is going to do -- a Wiseman once told me "nothing in life, comes for free". Lol

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
After looking over this concept I have to say that my desire for true multiplatform equality would be satiated by such an update. While I recognize that a phone is a phone, tablets are tablets, etc, there needs to be a great equalizer, a one size fits all OS that works and plays well on any device. Microsoft have been pushing for this with WP and Windows and I'm sure that the next Xbox will for the way of windows 8 as well.

People are voicing concern about copying android or iOS. Here's the thing; WP doesn't do all things perfect. The settings menu is a catastrophe in my opinion. App management is terrible. Customization and personalization are as basic as they would be. I know some of you are reading this and thinking "well just switch to android then", but that's just the problem. I don't want to use something just because its refreshing but also make a bunch of compromises. I want the whole package. This concept brings alot of what windows 8 has that WP doesn't as well as features from competing platforms.

At this point in WP's life, a pattern has emerged. WP needs to be as accessible as possible for it to get more users, which will bring a wider range of devices, which will bring more apps and updates. Its that simple. Everytime I hear about not needing a notification center or any other improvements that competing platforms have I begin to see the problem. I can hardly see the point in switching to android because of an update like this because its.... Too much like android? That barely makes any sense. It seems as though some only use WP because its cool to root for the underdog, but when that underdog starts walking like the leaders, you throw them to the curb.

At the end of the day, WP will never be like android. They are fundamentally different operating systems. However, to suggest that integrating core proven features of other OS's is worthy of ditching WP for something else is just silly. That's like saying WP shouldn't have predictive text when you're typing because android had it first.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
After looking over this concept I have to say that my desire for true multiplatform equality would be satiated by such an update. While I recognize that a phone is a phone, tablets are tablets, etc, there needs to be a great equalizer, a one size fits all OS that works and plays well on any device. Microsoft have been pushing for this with WP and Windows and I'm sure that the next Xbox will for the way of windows 8 as well.

People are voicing concern about copying android or iOS. Here's the thing; WP doesn't do all things perfect. The settings menu is a catastrophe in my opinion. App management is terrible. Customization and personalization are as basic as they would be. I know some of you are reading this and thinking "well just switch to android then", but that's just the problem. I don't want to use something just because its refreshing but also make a bunch of compromises. I want the whole package. This concept brings alot of what windows 8 has that WP doesn't as well as features from competing platforms.

At this point in WP's life, a pattern has emerged. WP needs to be as accessible as possible for it to get more users, which will bring a wider range of devices, which will bring more apps and updates. Its that simple. Everytime I hear about not needing a notification center or any other improvements that competing platforms have I begin to see the problem. I can hardly see the point in switching to android because of an update like this because its.... Too much like android? That barely makes any sense. It seems as though some only use WP because its cool to root for the underdog, but when that underdog starts walking like the leaders, you throw them to the curb.

At the end of the day, WP will never be like android. They are fundamentally different operating systems. However, to suggest that integrating core proven features of other OS's is worthy of ditching WP for something else is just silly. That's like saying WP shouldn't have predictive text when you're typing because android had it first.

You are totally missing the point. What some are saying (including myself) is it would look too much like Android, if the 'style' of changes that are being presented with this concept were to be implemented by Microsoft.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site

Furthermore, I'm not denying that we need a notification center (please read my first post), but not like this one.

Also, you said: "The settings menu is a catastrophe in my opinion. App management is terrible. Customization and personalization are as basic as they would be." My question to you is this: if you think this way, why do you have a Windows Phone?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Furthermore, I'm not denying that we need a notification center (please read my first post), but not like this one.

Also, you said: "The settings menu is a catastrophe in my opinion. App management is terrible. Customization and personalization are as basic as they would be." My question to you is this: if you think this way, why do you have a Windows Phone?

Ya, he seems to hate every aspect of it or think it's a catastrophe.

I fin all the above quite nice in WP. Its simple to use and very effective.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Ya, he seems to hate every aspect of it or think it's a catastrophe.

I fin all the above quite nice in WP. Its simple to use and very effective.

I definitely agree with what you're saying. I like the A-Z for finding apps quick. End of the day, you should know which apps you have to be able to use A-Z effectively -- if you don't know, then you are having apps for the sake of having them. In my opinion, all that is needed are a few tweaks, like the apps list needs to move to the left and the search icon to the bottom, so it matches the rest of the hubs etc.

The settings are fine, as I can pin it to my home screen. However, it would be nice to have some kind of tile or gesture (from the top) for quick settings -- no biggy, I can live with it. And a notification hub (or swipe left) for apps that are not on my home screen -- this would help because I don't want a home screen with miles of tiles to see every notification. All I want is enough tiles that I can see them all with one swipe.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Lol really feels more like android to me tht concept not gona work

Ha ha ha it's awful mate, if the notification center looked similar to how the email hub looks, it might not of looked so awful. The funniest thing is the guy (Yanko Andreev) who created the concept, 'used' to work has a Map UI Designer at DMS-GIS (subsidiary of Navteq/Nokia) -- he's either got it in for Nokia or he wants to freelance for Microsoft, maybe both?

Vb2012

Banned
Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Ha ha ha it's awful mate, if the notification center looked similar to how the email hub looks, it might not of looked so awful. The funniest thing is the guy (Yanko Andreev) who created the concept, 'used' to work has a Map UI Designer at DMS-GIS (subsidiary of Navteq/Nokia) -- he's either got it in for Nokia or he wants to freelance for Microsoft, maybe both?

lol maybe but stil feels like android parody

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I am at a loss. If you honestly think the setting menu right now is perfect then you must have a baguette sticking out of your forehead. There is no centralized area to deal with different connections, its just spliced haphazardly into all the other settings. I think everyone here can agree that if I want to switch on data or Bluetooth or NFC it should be at most two button presses, not three, plus scrolling around a bunch. If I'm trying to turn off Wifi or something I need to find or pin the settings tile, press the tile, scroll to which ever thing I want, press it, then press a toggle switch. All of this is done better by android(maybe not iOS, I wouldn't know) with a fast acting switch that can reside in your notification center or ON YOUR DAMN HOME SCREEN. Sure, this seems like a mild contrivance, but it's one of the only things I find counter intuitive. I know all the nice typography is there. I don't want to have to look at all of that to turn my damn NFC off or what have you.

If you don't think that apps should have groups by now, then that baguette has surely plugged up one of your eyes to the point where you're now satisfied with looking at a bunch of junk just to find something you need. App groups are no different from people groups, yet people around here seem to LOVE grouping people together and yet love having stone age techniques of browsing and sorting their apps. I personally don't use that many apps, but I can see how someone might get annoyed having downloaded the 40th app that starts with an S and spending a solid minute looking for it because not only can you not group apps, but you cant sort them either which is grand.

And finally, if you feel that the customization options of WP are perfect and unassailable, then that aforementioned baguette has surely encroached on both eyes because last I checked, you still cant set independent volumes for things in a central place. You cant customized your colors with any sort of granularity when this is something computers have been able to do for decades. You can't set backgrounds for you homepage or even pick a specific background color either.

Everything that I have touched upon has ben available in desktop Windows since I've been using computers, aside from notifications and wireless options of course. A lot of people here seem to think that bringing these features to Windows Phone is stupid and against the design language. I say that the design language was great as a start, but there is a lot more work to be done to make this into a truly badass OS. I've been using Windows Phone and have no intentions of changing simply due to the aesthetic of everything on the device. Does that mean that I hate progress and innovation? No, no it does not. While iOS and Android are breaking records every other month, WP is barely crawling forward because it doesn't have a lot of the ground level features that my FroYo MyTouch 3G Slide garbage android phone had over 3 years ago.

Some people here need to stop the ****** rollercoaster and realize that some of this stuff is considered a REQUIREMENT not a LUXURY. You also need to understand that CRITICISM is not HATE SPEECH. Some here trumpet the itemized list for every interface in the universe of Windows Phone and to that I say the itemized list is only good for to-do lists these days. People expect to make a phone their own not because of sleek, well animated transitions and quite usable live tiles. They expect to see something that lets them organize their life and demanding them to change to a system that is frankly inferior in the organization department and love it is pure insanity. You need only look at the adoption rates to see this in effect. Android did not take this long to gain traction and for good reason. It looked at where iOS was lagging behind and made those heavy improvements. Windows Phone has tried too hard to have a "Unique and Authentic" interface while sacrificing a few basic necessities.

Call me a hater and tell me to switch to Android. My Build 920, HTC Radar 4g, and crippled HD7 are all waving right back at you.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
^Android didn't take long to gain traction because it was the only real alternative to the iPhone when it was launched. It also was on extremely cheap devices. And because OEMs and Carriers can do whatever they want with it, they loved it and pushed the hell out of.

Android was missing features when it was launched too and took longer to get apps than Windows Phone.

Could the settings section use some categorization? Sure. But I use third party apps to pin WiFi, Bluetooth etc to the start screen.

I have an iPhone 4 and find it some of its functionality "catastrophic" too.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I am at a loss. If you honestly think the setting menu right now is perfect then you must have a baguette sticking out of your forehead. There is no centralized area to deal with different connections, its just spliced haphazardly into all the other settings. I think everyone here can agree that if I want to switch on data or Bluetooth or NFC it should be at most two button presses, not three, plus scrolling around a bunch. If I'm trying to turn off Wifi or something I need to find or pin the settings tile, press the tile, scroll to which ever thing I want, press it, then press a toggle switch. All of this is done better by android(maybe not iOS, I wouldn't know) with a fast acting switch that can reside in your notification center or ON YOUR DAMN HOME SCREEN. Sure, this seems like a mild contrivance, but it's one of the only things I find counter intuitive. I know all the nice typography is there. I don't want to have to look at all of that to turn my damn NFC off or what have you.

If you don't think that apps should have groups by now, then that baguette has surely plugged up one of your eyes to the point where you're now satisfied with looking at a bunch of junk just to find something you need. App groups are no different from people groups, yet people around here seem to LOVE grouping people together and yet love having stone age techniques of browsing and sorting their apps. I personally don't use that many apps, but I can see how someone might get annoyed having downloaded the 40th app that starts with an S and spending a solid minute looking for it because not only can you not group apps, but you cant sort them either which is grand.

And finally, if you feel that the customization options of WP are perfect and unassailable, then that aforementioned baguette has surely encroached on both eyes because last I checked, you still cant set independent volumes for things in a central place. You cant customized your colors with any sort of granularity when this is something computers have been able to do for decades. You can't set backgrounds for you homepage or even pick a specific background color either.

Everything that I have touched upon has ben available in desktop Windows since I've been using computers, aside from notifications and wireless options of course. A lot of people here seem to think that bringing these features to Windows Phone is stupid and against the design language. I say that the design language was great as a start, but there is a lot more work to be done to make this into a truly badass OS. I've been using Windows Phone and have no intentions of changing simply due to the aesthetic of everything on the device. Does that mean that I hate progress and innovation? No, no it does not. While iOS and Android are breaking records every other month, WP is barely crawling forward because it doesn't have a lot of the ground level features that my FroYo MyTouch 3G Slide garbage android phone had over 3 years ago.

Some people here need to stop the ****** rollercoaster and realize that some of this stuff is considered a REQUIREMENT not a LUXURY. You also need to understand that CRITICISM is not HATE SPEECH. Some here trumpet the itemized list for every interface in the universe of Windows Phone and to that I say the itemized list is only good for to-do lists these days. People expect to make a phone their own not because of sleek, well animated transitions and quite usable live tiles. They expect to see something that lets them organize their life and demanding them to change to a system that is frankly inferior in the organization department and love it is pure insanity. You need only look at the adoption rates to see this in effect. Android did not take this long to gain traction and for good reason. It looked at where iOS was lagging behind and made those heavy improvements. Windows Phone has tried too hard to have a "Unique and Authentic" interface while sacrificing a few basic necessities.

Call me a hater and tell me to switch to Android. My Build 920, HTC Radar 4g, and crippled HD7 are all waving right back at you.

Please use a civil tone when posting. Be a pro.

P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

http://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/500-community-rules-guidelines.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb