Had an Affair with HTC One, Ran Back!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going anywhere but truth be told, the HTC One made my knees buckle. We have one in the house since my son's blog gets review units in and he's currently reviewing the HTC One and Blackberry Z10. Now the Z10 is garbage. Well, not exactly garbage but it seriously is a non-issue. Blackberry better get comfortable with 4th place. But this HTC One is no scrub. What was interesting to me was low light photos could sit side by side with the L920. Its not enough to move me to google's bs. But the HTC One will move many from Samsung GS line. Without a doubt.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not going anywhere but truth be told, the HTC One made my knees buckle. We have one in the house since my son's blog gets review units in and he's currently reviewing the HTC One and Blackberry Z10. Now the Z10 is garbage. Well, not exactly garbage but it seriously is a non-issue. Blackberry better get comfortable with 4th place. But this HTC One is no scrub. What was interesting to me was low light photos could sit side by side with the L920. Its not enough to move me to google's bs. But the HTC One will move many from Samsung GS line. Without a doubt.

The HTC One is a beautiful phone. I cannot say anything about how it works cause I'm not going to buy it and I haven't researched it. I do however like metal phones. So I am hoping that Catwalk is a pretty phone. I was also jonesing over the mock up of the vaporware Surface Phone.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
ah ****!

So no-one liked my fake western accent and disturbing predilections?

y'all just liked it 'cause of Vault Boy?

dagnabit!

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually pretty surprised to hear you had issues with the One lagging and needing a restart. I'm a huge WP fan (and I like to try pretty much every new phone I can get my hands on) and I've actually had no problems with the One lagging. Most reviews say the One is pretty much slick and smooth too. I wonder if you had one with some sort of issue, or did you maybe use a task killer or something on it? Anyway, I've used enough phones to know others can have a different experience than I have, but it's too bad to hear your experience with it was hindered by the lag issue.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
After using a smooth OS for so long (I've been with WP for close to 1,5 years now)... You start noticing lag on every Android-device. A friend just got the HTC One... And I can see lag everywhere... And sometimes menus pop up directly, sometimes they hesitate for half a second. Nah, I just can't go back to Android.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
that must be a faulty unit or some issue with the background process hogging up the CPU. Definitely there cant be lag in HTC One, it comes with so much of horsepower that it blows away previous generation phones. I have tried the GS3 and I hardly see lag except in some scenarios, it's tiny if you ask me :)

OR Maybe, you are just too used to the WP interface :D

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
i dont know about all the people stating Android doesn't lag, but my Samsung Galaxy S3 lagged A LOT. Ok, it didn't lag so much while traversing through the main screen but almost everything else was annoying slow/sluggish. And i routinely kept my RAM clean by killing ALL apps except for the OS (hold middle button down, brings up all open apps click on circle left tab and clear all RAM). Some of my specific problems were:

- KEYBOARD, extremely slow. Stock keyboard was horrible so i bought Swyft (or whatever its called) and although it helped it still lagged. The system couldnt even keep up with me, i had to pause 40% of the time to make sure it spelled the correct word.

- Browsing. Both stock browser and Chrome ran equally sluggish, although i do appreciate its easier to move between pages compared to IE Mobile due to additional buttons on client. However, even with that said the clarity and fluidness of my 920 vs the S3 is night and day....WP8 wins imo.

- Crashing and many reboots, many times the system seemed to panic and reboot. And it wasn't during 'questionable' apps or else i'd understand...it was in middle of videos i recorded or modifying my UI. Multiple times it happened when visiting my contacts section...very frustrating.

While i had some bad experienced with Android it does do a lot of things very well, i appreciate the mgmt tools, flexibility of OS and tons of apps (missing flipboard). Its not like WP8 isnt without its flaws, but when they're put side by side i'd take WP anyday.

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Android will lag as long as it will use Java Virtual Machine. The users who like android keep saying is Linux, but they don't understand that Linux it's only to run the JVM, that's all. The Linux does the hardware part, screen+mic+battery connection to the JVM, the rest, the OS runs on JVM.
Coders know Java lags, you can't change it. When Google will decide to build from ground up they will get there, at the fast fluid notion, until then no chance.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
That HTC One, she is mighty purty alright. Might tend to make a fellow stray. I'm hoping for a purty phone like that with our OS on it, might help me keep my grubby hands where they belong.

Yah, just put my hands on a new Glaxy S4 and that also is a very nice feeling device. As much as I like all the Android apps and some of what Android gives you, I just think the Windows phone runs smoother and faster. Now when that new Galaxy Note III comes out, THEN I might have to put on a blindfold. :)

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I bought an HTC One for my mother and she loves it, especially the Zoe feature which sounds gimmicky at first but I can honestly say is one feature I would absolutely love to have on WP. The phone itself without a doubt one of the finest pieces of industrial design I've seen in a while, and there really is very very little lag, if at all. Scrolling is still not as smooth as WP, but responsiveness is stellar.

To be honest, I was quite set on getting her an 8X to transition her to WP, but she specifically asked for a gigantic screen so the 8X wouldn't cut it, while the Lumia 920 is too thick and the Ativ S doesn't have LTE.

That said, if I ever go back to Android myself, it would only be with a Nexus device. I loved Sense on my Desire, back in 2010 when stock Android was hideous and had zero social integration, but today Sense 5 is just an unnecessary skin with little annoyances that you don't notice in the store when you're playing with it but uncover over time. I still find it hard to believe that HTC's flagship is still running 4.1, even after the supply delays, when the version succeeding 4.2 is going to be unveiled in less than a month. Also, my friend's Nexus 7 is still the only Android device I've used that can come close to WP in terms of fluidity.

I played with the Galaxy S4 the other day and it was just awful. Not only does the hardware feel cheap, which I expected, but what I didn't expect from Samsung's flagship is how poorly optimized the software is. It just stutters and lags all over the place.

Last edited:

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I had literally ZERO/minimal lag on android 4.1.1 which came first time with my Nexus 7. It's very fluid Android, I am talking in reference to Jelly Bean. The 4.2.1 update introduced quite a bit of lag especially swiping across the home screens/app screen was not so smooth like the initial 4.1.1JB. If you face lag on your S3/S4, HTC One, you probably need to root, and flash it. Micro lags are always there though :( .

thewaterbird

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7, and the lag is ridiculous. This is in comparison to my lumia 610m which is quite laggy. But I especially agree with the OP. Whenever I use the N7, I notice how it takes extra steps to do simple things.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7, and the lag is ridiculous. This is in comparison to my lumia 610m which is quite laggy. But I especially agree with the OP. Whenever I use the N7, I notice how it takes extra steps to do simple things.

I have a Nexus 7 as well. IT IS PURE SUCK. I have it to keep up with tech. At my job, we have many pockets of android, IOS and Linux so I have to be as current as possible. But the Nexus 7 is not even close to what was promised. More of google making s*&^ up again.

rifqi23cool

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Sluggish performance? I keep reading over and over again that Jelly Bean fixed all the lagging and slowness issues, and that a high end device would fix all those problems. Surprised to hear that the opposite is true here... Unless HTC Sense software itself is bring system performance down.

Having been through a laggy "high end" Nexus with Gingerbread I think way back when, I've been led to believe that was an old experience that would never crop up again with Android. I was even told that on these forums. Hmmm...

The battery life thing sucks.

i don't know about HTC Sense being the weight, but some of my friend on HTC prefer to remove it by using custom roms.. but stock Jelly Bean is still slow.. i got two devices that got pretty close specs
-HTC 8S: running 1Ghz Snapdragon S4 and 512mb on a WP8
-Andromax U (Innos I6) probably some of you never heard of it.. it's a china made phone renamed exclusively for Indonesian cellular provider: running 1,2Ghz, Snapdragon S4, 768mb of ram on CLEAN Android Jelly Bean.. no custom UIs, just pure standard
the day i bought the Andromax, it's still running ICS... little improvement, but not much difference after upgrades

8S with it's windows phone flies with every touch.. even stock roms on Jelly Bean with not much custom UI is so slow...

Last edited:

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
The HTC One is like that hot girl you see standing in the distance when you're walking with your wife in the mall. She's absolutely gorgeous in every way but you know she's bad for you and still can't compare to the beauty and compatibility you have with your wife.lol That's my take. Shout out to the faithful men out there. Good post though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99