RIP, Lumia 920 screen. You were a worthy foe.

MadOx75

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Let me preface this by saying that I'm really, really rough on my phones. I've got some nerve damage in my hand, so I tend to drop it every so often. When I had my iPhone, I solved this by putting it in an Otterbox Defender. The 920 was a bit bulky to begin with, so I didn't want to add a case and make it any bulkier. Its fallen out of my hands a few times and been none the worse for the wear, even when I dropped it on my tile kitchen floor. I honestly worried for my tile.

Well, that all came to a spectacular end today. I set my phone down on the raised ledge that goes around my kitchen counter this morning while I was getting my son ready for school. I don't know if he bumped into the ledge or if I just didn't place it squarely on there, but I was across the room and heard the very solid contact of my phone with the tile floor... I went over hopeful that the Lumia fared as well as it had in the past, but unfortunately, it wasn't to be. The screen shattered in quite magnificent fashion.

Here's the ledge that it fell off of. Probably a 4.5-5 ft drop.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A81AAEA29BFE08B2!5889&authkey=!AJFnDufXrMCeRpI

And here's my poor Lumia. Excuse the crappy picture, I had to take it with my iPad.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A81AAEA29BFE08B2!5890&authkey=!AEJf-DXn9Kq-0UM

*edit* When I click the links I posted, it brings me right to my public gallery, not the pictures themselves. Not sure if its doing that for you folks too, but the pics are in there.

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, that's terrible... Sorry that happened to you. That's been one of my fears ever since I got my first touchscreen phone (iPhone 4). I just ordered a Lumia 920 myself and am so afraid of that happening to me.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It is also why I always get TEP. My wife fell down the stairs (she was fine), but had her phone in her hand, and smashed it to bits. 100 bucks and 2 days later, another phone.

MadOx75

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Mine is my work phone, so I don't get choices on insurance. My choice is to pay out of pocket for an unlocked phone or suck it up and deal with it. It still works, so I'm going to deal with it.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
It is also why I always get TEP.

???????????????

TEP Technology Enhancement Program (various locations)
* TEP Technology Enterprise Park (Atlanta, GA)
* TEP Technical Engineering Plan (US DoD)
* TEP Teacher Education Program (various locations)
* TEP Teacher Education Programme (various locations)
* TEP Teacher Exchange Program
* TEP Tropical Eastern Pacific
* TEP Trust and Estate Practitioner
* TEP Transportation Enhancement Program

What is TEP???

Len2K620

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happened to me about two weeks ago... I posted a thread today "plasti dipped Lumia 920", I feel your pain... I purchased a screen digitizer off eBay and replaced it myself for $52...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
???????????????

TEPTechnology Enhancement Program (various locations)
*TEPTechnology Enterprise Park (Atlanta, GA)
*TEPTechnical Engineering Plan (US DoD)
*TEPTeacher Education Program (various locations)
*TEPTeacher Education Programme (various locations)
*TEPTeacher Exchange Program
*TEPTropical Eastern Pacific
*TEPTrust and Estate Practitioner
*TEPTransportation Enhancement Program

What is TEP???

Total Equipment Protection -- the insurance plan on mobile devices that is paid monthly on one's bill.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ouch. That sucks.

Mine fell higher than that and has two lines on the screen. Still fully functional though so I'm not changing it just yet

piepants

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Replacing the screen is fairly easy if you've done any work on small electronics before. A new glass panel is around $40-60 on eBay, but I went along the route of buying a new panel and LCD assembly for $120 which saved the effort of having to manually separate the old glass and LCD with a heat gun, and glue the new glass to the old LCD, which of course risks damaging the LCD and leaving me without a working phone.

The replacement process is fairly straightforward. There's guides out there, you just need to be patient, look after the tiny ribbon cables (there's about 4 that have to be unplugged and unglued to get the LCD/glass assembly off the mainboard), and the biggest trick I used is to get a set of jeweller's screwdrivers (very small flathead screwdrivers) and use them in the torx security screws, rather than the actual torx screwdrivers. I found the torx drivers had a tendency to slip and destroy the head of the tiny screws, especially the ones on the motherboard itself.

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine fell out of my car and slid on its screen across the car park, no scratches. I then dropped it from "texting" height and dented the corner. screen ok thought

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon