How to read a PDF when you don't have connectivity?

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I placed a couple of PDFs I wanted to read on a flight recently on to my Skydrive.

I then opened them in the PDF viewer with the understanding that they would then be saved locally to the device.

The problem though was when I got in the air and didn't have any connectivity the PDF would not load any of the additional pages.

So my question is, how do I store a PDF or any other document locally on the device so I can access it when I am off the grid? I don't really see a folder for general files or another storage area that is easily accessible to the user.

Thanks in advance for the help!

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
open PDF Reader by Microsoft. see if your documents are in there
if you have opened them using the app before they should be in history

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft need to add a file manager to the OS, that way you can manage and manipulate files locally on your phone.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
try sending it to yourself via email or onenote?

I've not tried that yet but will do it and see if it works.

open PDF Reader by Microsoft. see if your documents are in there
if you have opened them using the app before they should be in history

That's what I did before. But if you're in an airplane without connectivity it'll only load a couple of pages. Once it's past that point it tries to load the rest of the file from the network and ends up showing you blank pages instead.

U can transfer the PDF files via computer cable to the documents folder on ur phone... That is how I did it :D

I didn't know that. Where will you then find it on your phone once it's loaded there?

but you can open local PDF files already with PDF Reader without the need for a file manager

True but that doesn't help as I mentioned above because without a network connection it shows it exists but in reality is not completely saved locally.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
True but that doesn't help as I mentioned above because without a network connection it shows it exists but in reality is not completely saved locally.

What he meant is to copy locally. PDF reader doesn't download the entire PDF file from SkyDrive. It only downloads enough for current page. Cache entire PDF file is not a good way for go (for reading stuff over SkyDrive).

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It saves it locally on my phone. I just tried it to confirm by turning on airplane mode, and I can open all of the PDF files I have on the phone.

1) Open PDF reader
2) select file
3) file opens just fine

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Some PDF files are created to be downloaded bit by bit over the web, and some all in one go. When you are making your PDF file you need to make the right choices. You may find that scrolling through the whole PDF over WiFi will cache the whole web view style PDF?

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Copy paste your pdf file in your phone in documents folder. Open it through office hub.

If you want to use SDcard, copy it anywhere except music folders and use Kirik SD viewer free version which can read .pdf files. And you can open your pdf files on SDcard from there. I suggest you to use Adobe Reader.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb