Won't google support wp forever?

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm bored with paid YouTube apps, unofficial google maps and ugly google.com. Why doesn't google help us? Won't they support us forever? Can someone send me a link of google's announcement about windows phone support? Thanks.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Google won't be developing anything for Windows Phone anywhere in the near future, not unless the market share is worth the trouble. You probably should have thought about this before you went for Windows Phone.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It's not just about market share. MS and Google are sworn enemies. Google are actively blocking development of apps for any MS phone.

Who cares, we don't need Google. I've recently started using Bing as my search engine. Who knew it was this good???

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
If WP starts gaining market share, and/or Samsung goes and starts using their own operating system, I would imagine that Google would soon come to their senses.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft's services are actually vastly superior on Windows Phone. A youtube video is a youtube video...you don't need a freakin app for it.

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft's services are actually vastly superior on Windows Phone. A youtube video is a youtube video...you don't need a freakin app for it.

Agreed. I've never understood the hype about google services, they've never seemed outstanding to me. Bing has been a better search engine for me and what I search. Bing maps (before this mess of lousy HERE maps) was always superior and much more accurate than google maps, for me. Gmail, I used for about a day and realized how bad that was, lol. YouTube is okay, but I don't use it often, to be honest. Again these are my experiences, others will vary, but other than that I've not used many of their services. I'm fine if they never support WP, but would prefer they did, just so it's one less gripe against the OS.

JHunsaker

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't use any of the Google services except for Youtube, which I use anywhere from 1 to 10 times per day. So I would really like to have an official free Youtube app. Microsoft needs to start playing hardball to force Google's hand.

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't use any of the Google services except for Youtube, which I use anywhere from 1 to 10 times per day. So I would really like to have an official free Youtube app. Microsoft needs to start playing hardball to force Google's hand.
MetroTube so far is the best YouTube app I have ever used on a smartphone and its trial version is almost full-featured .. I'd highly recommend it for anyone.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have never understood YouTube apps. Only time I ever watch YouTube is if it is embedded or linked from another site.. so the app is useless. I can't imagine people just sitting on YouTube browsing every video uploaded, Bing search can do that for you.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Google's reasons for not building WP8 apps are the same as those of many other companies (banks, airlines, Instagram, Vine etc): not enough users for a return on the investment. Building an app and supporting it is not a small undertaking at Google's scale and judging from the recent iOS apps they released, they're really going for good design and quality. So once there are enough users to justify the costs, we'll see all the apps coming to WP. MS does not help here with their insistence on making development hard (fees for SDK, publishing apps) or their insistence on using proprietary MS tech instead of industry standards (DX11 for game engines vs OpenGL ES). Part of me thinks this is because MS has an antipathy towards open-source anything.

This is of course a chicken-and-egg problem, so I don't know how/if it will be solved.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Google's reasons for not building WP8 apps are the same as those of many other companies (banks, airlines, Instagram, Vine etc): not enough users for a return on the investment. Building an app and supporting it is not a small undertaking at Google's scale and judging from the recent iOS apps they released, they're really going for good design and quality. So once there are enough users to justify the costs, we'll see all the apps coming to WP. MS does not help here with their insistence on making development hard (fees for SDK, publishing apps) or their insistence on using proprietary MS tech instead of industry standards (DX11 for game engines vs OpenGL ES). Part of me thinks this is because MS has an antipathy towards open-source anything.

This is of course a chicken-and-egg problem, so I don't know how/if it will be solved.
Ah the old chicken and egg. They make fantastic meals LOL

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
It's not just about market share. MS and Google are sworn enemies. Google are actively blocking development of apps for any MS phone.

Who cares, we don't need Google. I've recently started using Bing as my search engine. Who knew it was this good???

Truth be told Bing sucks. Microsoft needs to be more agressive. I would prefer to use MSFT becuase I literally don?t trust Google, but I can?t get my Outlook.com mail to sync properly on my Mac because it uses POP, that well that is very 90s. I tried using Bing, but the results aren?t on par with Google. Thing is, MSFT has gotten many things right. Office has NO competition, and Skydrive simply rocks. But they are messing up with their services, they sort made some bad moves (from a business perspective) with Windows 8, and they need to make Outlook more robust and feature filled than Google, they have been doing email longer. IMHO

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Truth be told Bing sucks. Microsoft needs to be more agressive. I would prefer to use MSFT becuase I literally don?t trust Google, but I can?t get my Outlook.com mail to sync properly on my Mac because it uses POP, that well that is very 90s. I tried using Bing, but the results aren?t on par with Google. Thing is, MSFT has gotten many things right. Office has NO competition, and Skydrive simply rocks. But they are messing up with their services, they sort made some bad moves (from a business perspective) with Windows 8, and they need to make Outlook more robust and feature filled than Google, they have been doing email longer. IMHO

You are an ignorant buffoon if you think Bing sucks. You may prefer Google, but Bing is incredible and preferred by most people!

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
You are an ignorant buffoon if you think Bing sucks. You may prefer Google, but Bing is incredible and preferred by most people!

mmm...Bing preferred by most people!!! Not on this planet. As of January 2013, search engine market share in the US was 65% for Google and 16.5% for Bing.

Oh, and dumping on someone just because their opinion doesn't concur with yours, and then making uninformed and incorrect assertions actually makes you the ignorant buffoon.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos