Will Windows Phone continue to avoid to make a File Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to say this but after a few day of research i learn that File manager/explorer is not a missing feature but Microsoft try not to include this into WP. i understand this is because they want to have a high security OS. but without that third party app won't able to access our file like Metrotube's download videos won't show up in Music + Video hub. if i download a pdf file from other source i need to choose an app to run them so if i choose Microsoft own pdf reader then Other third party app can't access that file, also in HD Photo Viewer it can't really do anything to photo, we can't delete edit or send them we need to use system app that we know it sucks. this is only a few things that bug me on this platform.

So i want to ask will WP eventually get a decent File manager in future update? if not i'm sorry but to quit the platform. i don't know for all of you thinking about this feature but for most people a file manager is a must for an OS.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
For the average person, a file manager on their phone is far from a must. I can honestly say that there has been maybe been one time I wanted an Android style manager, and I got over it pretty quickly. It is easy sometimes for techies to forgot that the average person doesn't use their phone like us.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
A must? Hm...interesting. I'm pretty much glued to my phone and I've never had a need for a file manager. When I had one on my old Windows Mobile phones I rarely even used it. WP doesn't have one and iOS doesn't have one, so how can you assume that most people MUST have this? There's more to this world than your own opinions...

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to say this but after a few day of research i learn that File manager/explorer is not a missing feature but Microsoft try not to include this into WP. i understand this is because they want to have a high security OS. but without that third party app won't able to access our file like Metrotube's download videos won't show up in Music + Video hub. if i download a pdf file from other source i need to choose an app to run them so if i choose Microsoft own pdf reader then Other third party app can't access that file, also in HD Photo Viewer it can't really do anything to photo, we can't delete edit or send them we need to use system app that we know it sucks. this is only a few things that bug me on this platform.

So i want to ask will WP eventually get a decent File manager in future update? if not i'm sorry but to quit the platform. i don't know for all of you thinking about this feature but for most people a file manager is a must for an OS.

I'm not up on how all things work on this phone. But if it means not having a file manager because of security reasons, then so be it -- it's not a 'must' for me either. However, what is a must for me is security.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There is really no necessity for a file explorer when apps are still restricted to its own isolated storage. When that restriction is gone like Win8, apps will be possible to access the files downloaded by other apps. Still don't need file explorer. Currently, app isolated storage folders are under a subfolder named after the application GUID. There is way you can tell which folder belongs to which app even if you have file explorer.

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
For the average person, a file manager on their phone is far from a must. I can honestly say that there has been maybe been one time I wanted an Android style manager, and I got over it pretty quickly. It is easy sometimes for techies to forgot that the average person doesn't use their phone like us.
how about some sort of developer option to enable it? i mean this is the only thing that make my friends immediately deny to switch to windows phone. as long as they make it they can hide it anyway they want to.

There is really no necessity for a file explorer when apps are still restricted to its own isolated storage. When that restriction is gone like Win8, apps will be possible to access the files downloaded by other apps. Still don't need file explorer. Currently, app isolated storage folders are under a subfolder named after the application GUID. There is way you can tell which folder belongs to which app even if you have file explorer.
that's what i mean! at least make that happen! if that happen i'm sure third party file manager app will appear

I've never needed a file manager for any phone, ever
maybe some thousand people who refuse to switch to WP need?

I'm not up on how all things work on this phone. But if it means not having a file manager because of security reasons, then so be it -- it's not a 'must' for me either. However, what is a must for me is security.

but isn't when app entering the store they need to get tested by Microsoft? unfortunately it is a "must" for me and i want to help WP too but maybe Security is more important than Ability for you

A must? Hm...interesting. I'm pretty much glued to my phone and I've never had a need for a file manager. When I had one on my old Windows Mobile phones I rarely even used it. WP doesn't have one and iOS doesn't have one, so how can you assume that most people MUST have this? There's more to this world than your own opinions...

at least 40% of iPhone user jailbreak their phone just to get these kind of feature... and this is the reason i hate iOS now why i meet this in the OS that i love?

Last edited by a moderator:

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
LOL third party file manager ? You will need to breach the OS security aka jailbreak it(currently it's impossible).

that is up to Microsoft to allow it or not -_- , App need to be allow to read (and write some) file in our phone memory

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
phing77, I can understand your wants for actual file management instead of the current method. unfortunately, I cannot see ms bending for any reason on its current state of opinion for file usage.

if its a feature YOU, as a user want or need, it doesn't matter what others say isn't needed by them. find a way to work around the deficiency if its possible, or change platforms to achieve what YOU need. as quickly as software is changing, it could be implemented tomorrow, but I'm afraid will not.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
but isn't when app entering the store they need to get tested by Microsoft? unfortunately it is a "must" for me and i want to help WP too but maybe Security is more important than Ability for you

Like I said I'm not up on all things to do with WP. But do app updates get tested like the apps themselves?

Furthermore, why would ability be more important than Security? If that's the case, then surely you would have Android if Microsoft don't allow it?

I really don't get why it's so important to you, unless you are a hacker?

Last edited:

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
phing77, I can understand your wants for actual file management instead of the current method. unfortunately, I cannot see ms bending for any reason on its current state of opinion for file usage.

if its a feature YOU, as a user want or need, it doesn't matter what others say isn't needed by them. find a way to work around the deficiency if its possible, or change platforms to achieve what YOU need. as quickly as software is changing, it could be implemented tomorrow, but I'm afraid will not.
Thank for understanding my feeling. but an great OS is an OS that help people do thing easier not to tell people not to do that... i can't but hope that they'll bring them in Blue update. this is my last try :(

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I want a File Manager on a secure Windows Phone. I have used File Mangers on every PC computer and Windows Mobile device I've owned. I don't need access to the OS or App program files. I think there should be a File Explorer to give me easy access to my files.

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Like I said I'm not up on all things to do with WP. But do app updates get tested like the apps themselves?

Furthermore, why would ability be more important than Security? If that's the case, then surely you would have Android if Microsoft don't allow it?

i'm usually download content from other source like file hosting website but in WP no we can't, if i download a mp3 file from my "own" website i only able to play it i can't save it. Now let see on Android you need to have root access but on WP root is not possible so why not let's app has control over multimedia file and leave the system alone?

I really don't get why it's so important to you, unless you are a hacker?
No! it's important to a lot people. not every people buy music from Xbox, not every one love using cloud base service( skydrive ) not everyone like to switch their app just to watch youtube video that already downloaded.

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I want a File Manager on a secure Windows Phone. I have used File Mangers on every PC computer and Windows Mobile device I've owned. I don't need access to the OS or App program files. I think there should be a File Explorer to give me easy access to my files.

YES! :smile:

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
MS should permit a file manager on Windows Phone. Sure, most users may not need it, but I don't think there's a need to shut off your potential power-users and send them to Android.

IC Blues

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
i'm usually download content from other source like file hosting website but in WP no we can't, if i download a mp3 file from my "own" website i only able to play it i can't save it. Now let see on Android you need to have root access but on WP root is not possible so why not let's app has control over multimedia file and leave the system alone?

No! it's important to a lot people. not every people buy music from Xbox, not every one love using cloud base service( skydrive ) not everyone like to switch their app just to watch youtube video that already downloaded.
Have you tried to download your mp3 using UC browser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)