GDR2 - What Can We Reasonably Expect?

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I can explain at least for some part why the orientation lock is "missing" in Windows Phone.

Microsoft has a design/developer vision where the landscape orientation can be used in apps to offer complementary screen views. I'm talking about screens like these, where the application content changes depending on the screen orientation:

portrait1.png landscape.png

This sort of functionality would of course be compromised by a system-wide orientation lock, so instead of that developers were given an option to enable orientation lock in an application-specific way. If there's clearly a scenario for using the application where an orientation lock makes sense, like browsing the app content while lying down, developers can make that happen. You can find such a software orientation lock in high quality apps like Weave and Baconit.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank god that MS does listen to the 5%, which includes me. If they listened to the majority, all we would have is an Android based lag-fest, with a Notification Centre.

I'll say it slowly... LIVE TILES ARE THE NOTIFICATION CENTRE!!!!

Complaints about apps with no Live Tiles are down to the app developers.
I'm not a 'fan boy' either, just someone who knows how to use their phone properly!!! Never missed a 'notification' yet. It amazes me that so many users are too lazy to check the Live Tiles that are available. It takes one finger swipe up from the Lockscreen. Why is that so hard????

Want a Notification Centre?? Get an Android phone....

Live tiles cant replace a notification center, live tiles don't tell u what apps went off when the phone was in your pocket, and the time they went off so if u go look at ur live tiles u have to look at all the tiles on your home screen and guess which one went off and when if u miss the toast notification and that's completely ridiculous

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Live tiles cant replace a notification center, live tiles don't tell u what apps went off when the phone was in your pocket, and the time they went off so if u go look at ur live tiles u have to look at all the tiles on your home screen and guess which one went off and when if u miss the toast notification and that's completely ridiculous

So how is looking at a Notification screen, any different from checking the Live Tiles - on a screen....

This is madness!!!

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
So how is looking at a Notification screen, any different from checking the Live Tiles - on a screen....

This is madness!!!
because a notification center tells u at what time each individual app went off. What you're saying is silly. Its like having a phone without a caller id for missed calls. If your phone rings and its in your pocket and u don't answer it if u don't have caller id for missed calls how will u know who calld u on the calls u missed? I don't understand why guys aren't understanding the importance of a notification center....that's the madness!!!

abxy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
because live tiles update after 30 mins, notifications are instant. The Wide live tiles takes a lot of space for example Message tile or dialer but they will only show 1 missed call or message and that too won't cycle. Its just the latest item. Stop being such a blind fan. Notification center is important.

This is madness!!!

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
because live tiles update after 30 mins, notifications are instant. The Wide live tiles takes a lot of space for example Message tile or dialer but they will only show 1 missed call or message and that too won't cycle. Its just the latest item. Stop being such a blind fan. Notification center is important.

I'm not being a 'blind fan' at all. I have yet to miss a notification via the Live Tiles. A 30 minute gap between notifications is enough for me, as I have a life outside of constantly staring at my phone. Important things like e-mail are 'as they arrive', are immediate and show on the Live Tiles. FB, Twitter etc is really not that important for work or life use, so the 30 minute window is adequate.

I understand the 'need' by users for a Notification Centre, but I just think it is not that important.

I am allowed an opinion on this, but I really don't understand why some users get so wound up and start calling me a '******' and I want WP to die. It's this kind of thing which is childish.
I am not anti-Android either. I just think it is not a good phone OS. As there have been no viable alternatives for a while, users think it is the norm and are reluctant to change.
I don't want an Android style Notification Centre either. It's this sort of thinking that stops innovation. WP is clearly innovative. Bolting on a list of notifications negates the need for those Live Tiles.
We may as well have the iOS grid system and Android's pull down shades and be done with it.

I hope that IF MS implement a Notification Centre, it IS elegant and more in keeping with WP OS as a whole, not just a bolt on. If the newest FB beta is anything to go by, sadly that may be the case....

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Notification Center was already planned from the beginning. MS just didnt have enough time to finish it. They dont have any excuse now not to include it in the next update since it has been months!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Notification Center was already planned from the beginning. MS just didnt have enough time to finish it. They dont have any excuse now not to include it in the next update since it has been months!

Proof ?

I'm another one who does not see a need for a full Notification Center, this is what life tiles are for and Microsoft has said that in the past. If you want a Notification Cetner, get a Android phone because it's needed there. That what I feel about it.

A place or "shortcut"(not in the main tiles) to enable hardware features (Wi-fi, NFC, bluetooth) would be usefull and a pull down option to see last notification or last 3 notifications would be usefull as well and would make most peoople here happy I would think. Slide down from the top a little and it shows your last notification, slide down 1/2 way down the screen and it shows the last 3-5 notifications.

There is no need for a full notification screen on Windows Phone and I would be honestly shocked if one actually came to Windows Phone.

If Microsoft said they were thinking or was going to add one, I would like to see proof of that.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Nothing solid, They also claim "Other Microsoft representatives that The Verge has talked to at Build this week have pointed towards Live Tiles as a way to display notifications"

I'll still be shocked if we see a FULL Notification Center and I still dont see the need but, to each their own. I have noticed past Android users tend to want this Windows Phone users from the start dont see the need. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, IF it even plays out.

I do agree there should be a way to view past notifications but, a Notification Center is not it....

I guess everyone will have their thoughts here...to each their own...

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Nothing solid, They also claim "Other Microsoft representatives that The Verge has talked to at Build this week have pointed towards Live Tiles as a way to display notifications"

I'll still be shocked if we see a FULL Notification Center and I still dont see the need but, to each their own. I have noticed past Android users tend to want this Windows Phone users from the start dont see the need. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, IF it even plays out.

I do agree there should be a way to view past notifications but, a Notification Center is not it....

I guess everyone will have their thoughts here...to each their own...

Neither did I state that it will be an iOS or Android rip-off. But MS will give us a "center" where all notifications will be collected. That's for certain.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
We agree to disagree on the Notification Center, everyone is going to have their own thoughts. You also can't make everyone happy, that is known.

Out of anything we could see on GDR2, I want Microsoft to enable the FM radio... this is joke one feature from WP7 that I used all the time but, get a top device and cant use it...

SanjitVignesh

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
If the toast notification is missed, the lock screen will still show the icon of the type of alert(say Email, SMS, Facebook). All of you have to do then is just go to the corresponding live tile if it has been set up.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
If the toast notification is missed, the lock screen will still show the icon of the type of alert(say Email, SMS, Facebook). All of you have to do then is just go to the corresponding live tile if it has been set up.

You can't pin everything on the lockscreen though.

cbrines

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't really care about a notification center, as I don't need it. That being said, I can see why some people might want it.

Give me separate volume controls, custom notifications sounds and orientation lock. It's embarrassing that these three "features" are still missing.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Give me "Set as ringtone" option, even simple feature phone has this feature,and release audio,video api for 3rd party, I want to see and send videos and audio from my whatsapp. Leave notification center aside, some of my friends feel annoyed due to lack of such facilities.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon