GDR2 - What Can We Reasonably Expect?

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I know this has been brought up before, but I'd like to start a real discussion about what we can expect to see in GDR2. Obviously, things like a notification center and other dramatic changes won't be part of it. But there are small features and bug fixes that could perhaps be implemented.

Features:

-Orientation lock. I'm not sure where they would stick the toggle for this, but I hope such a tiny feature could come sooner than later.

-"Reader" function in Internet Explorer to convert non-mobile sites into a phone-friendly format. iOS has had this for some time now, and the HTC One I was checking out the other day has it too. It's enormously useful for sites that need it.

-Music controls via voice. This may be just me, but it could be nice.

-Do Not Disturb setting. Doesn't bother me personally, but many people have requested this.

-Calendar search

-Weekly view for Calendar

Bug Fixes:

-Music starts to play sometimes after initiating a command via Bluetooth.

Again, I'm trying to keep this list as realistic as possible. It just seems funny to me that there has been virtually no talk of this coming update.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
A fully featured hardware search button would be my biggest whish, so one can search the (whole) phone's content.

Also some profile settings for connections and sounds would be awesome.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Andr3sfc

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Orientation Lock is a must. I can't even begin on how annoying WP is when laying down...
Reader in IE would be nice

Basic (and I mean BASIC) things like this — such as orientation lock or volume profiles —, which WP lacks, are definetly a MUST. Damn, they shouldn't even have released the OS without it.

Details — important ones — like these are really annoying, and they can grow on some people over time and make 'em leave the platform.

Chen Vivi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Separate volume for ringtone and other applications.
"Other" storage fix so I can turn on skydrive backup

App to SD -- most likely not gonna happen, but I just wish it might since I own the 8s

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Separate volume for ringtone and other applications.
"Other" storage fix so I can turn on skydrive backup

App to SD -- most likely not gonna happen, but I just wish it might since I own the 8s
"To offer the ultimate mobile experience to our users, Samsung provides [a] microSD slot on Galaxy S4 for extension of memory," the company says. That microSD slot supports cards up to 64GB in size, so even owners of the 16GB hardware can theoretically wind up with more capacity than any version of Apple's iPhone or the HTC One can provide. Unfortunately you can't install Android applications to external storage on the GS4, so the extra room is only good for your documents and media files. Earlier this year Microsoft faced a barrage of criticism from shoppers who found the out-of-box storage of its Surface tablets equally lacking."
Other phones heading the same way with memory, so we won't see changes and it made me kinda sad cause i own 8S aswell.

But we can hope for bug fixes and skype contacts appear in your chat hub instead of windows live friends.

johnsuni

May 2, 2013
Visit site
My wishlist.:
"Tap - Tap" on screen to wake up phone.
Silence phone when turning screen downwards.
Some kind of indication on the phone when the screen is black, on unanswared call's. Maybe blinking Windows logo on the phone.
Possible to group tiles on screen.

Uha, forgot to mention a very importenting thing.:
Enable the FM radio reciver & transmitter function on Lumia 920 if it is possible. It would really be a good thing.

A very happy Nokia Lumia 920 owner. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
why wouldn't notification center be on gdr2? they said they were working on it in 8 but ran out of time and it would come in a future update, so it should be finished by now for atleast gdr2 wtf

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
why wouldn't notification center be on gdr2? they said they were working on it in 8 but ran out of time and it would come in a future update, so it should be finished by now for atleast gdr2 wtf

Maybe they're saving it for a bigger update, like Blue. Isn't GDR2 a minor update? With an important feature like notification center, you would think they'd want to announce it with a bunch of other major features at a Microsoft event.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they're saving it for a bigger update, like Blue. Isn't GDR2 a minor update? With an important feature like notification center, you would think they'd want to announce it with a bunch of other major features at a Microsoft event.
GDR updates are huge, little minor updates don't even get announced, we just get them( mostly quick fixes or firmware ).

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Delaying Notification Center to be a highlight for Blue is a bad idea. That's like almost a year from now. Features like these should have been baked from the start tbh.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I know this is going off topic just a hair but, Why does people THINK they need a "Notification Center". Live tiles are to replace this, so email, texts, etc are available on a tile for you to see with out having to go into a menu. I DO see a need for a quick place to turn on hardware features (Wi-Fi, NFC, Bluetooth, etc)

A notification center is something you NEED for Android or iOS but, not WP8, I don't see the need and don't think you will ever see a Notification System.

If we get anything out of the update, I want a FM radio that Microsoft has said it was coming... Baseball games are free over FM but, to stream them it costs $40 a year from MLB. That is just wrong.. I see this as a major step backwards from WP7

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Delaying Notification Center to be a highlight for Blue is a bad idea. That's like almost a year from now. Features like these should have been baked from the start tbh.

Yeah. When we first heard a few months back that the notification center was originally intended for the initial release of WP8, I thought, ok well it could be something they release in a couple months. But with WP8 being 6 months old now, with no significant updates, I'm pretty sure that "big" features like this that fundamentally change or add to the OS... they'll almost certainly be saved for Blue. Which is so unfortunate. Windows Phone needs to catch up and start innovating, but at this rate they're always a step behind.

Karnn

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Have they fixed the problem of being able to send text to only one number of any contact from the people hub? And not being able to search within messages? Can we now search for songs already in the device in the music hub? Or make playlists while having songs already playing in the device i.e., not from now playing list; or save webpages in IE;Or the auto-disappearance of status indicators at the top of the screen? If not it would be a good time to add these few small features now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa