[User Voice] REVIVE METRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!
It's time to remind Microsoft where their new OS UI's roots lie!
Its time to bring back METRO

Revive the Metro Design Philosophy

Windows Phone and Windows 8 are the latest in Microsoft's OS lineup. Both of them us an interface called Modern UI, however, its time for them to go back to their roots. Yes, im talking metro. Too often the term "Metro" is used alternatively for Modern UI, however they are NOT the same thing. Metro is all about content before chrome, beautiful typography, ease of use, simplicity and aesthetical beauty. Metro (appeared to be) a philosophy of design, where content was first, and the experience was personal; where typography was clean yet beautiful; where the interface was "fashionably" straight to the point. Metro was... beautiful. Modern UI was based off of it, yet it seems to be lacking in numerous areas today. Already, facebook is a flat version of the ios/android counterparts, and some apps are direct ports of iOS. No longer are we building apps for content first, familiarity and design second. All it would take is a few changes to make facebook a beautiful hybrid of familiarity & metro (see here: http://orig13.deviantart.net/42dd/f...ndows_phone_redesign_by_saphfan32-d63wcg7.png). Modern UI has flattened itself into a corner where people think Metro means pivots and no dimension, and they are WRONG. Zune for Windows is an excellent example of Metro. It has content in mind, yet does it with fashion. Its clean, simple, and even implements a pivot, but at the same time makes subtle use of gradients and drop shadows, sliding and lighting, something we fail to see in numerous Windows Phone apps. Already, Google and (if rumor be true,) Apple are flattening UI's, so whats to say Windows and Windows Phone are better than them? Answer: METRO! We need to revive this philosophy, and improve the appearance of our apps. No more cheesy knockoffs and web apps in the store. No more iOS ports with nothing changed. What we need is beauty and high standards. We need simplicity yet good design. We need flatness with DEPTH. What we need...

...Is Metro.

Vote and comment here on Windows Phone's UserVoice: Revive the Metro Design Philosophy

Oh, and share this with anyone who you think agrees (or should agree ;) )

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Seriously?

Metro hasn't gone anywhere. I think you need to read this...

Toledo2 ? Blog Archive ? Don’t call it Metro, call it Good Design

You seem to have a different opinion on what metro is. Also, I did read that. Also, read the title
Don’t call it Metro, call it Good Design

I never said the facebook beta app was bad (it looks decent, and sticks to its good design), but it isn't metro.

My point is that Metro is going away. Good design, of course its staying, Modern UI? Sure its there. But the metro design PHILOSOPHY isn't. Its more than good design. Its unique, while the same. Its subtle touches. Its what originaly made Windows Phone so radical and unique in the first place. Granted, Metro will still in some form be part of Modern UI's stock features, but its falling out with 3rd party, 2nd party, and even some 1st party(?) apps.

Oh, and this isn't about facebook. I used fb beta as an example, yes. But it isn't about facebook. Also, if you read what I put, I noted metro and Modern UI are used interchangeably, when they are not interchangeable.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
She doesn't seem to get it, though.

This "It's Metro, It's not Metro, Metro is dying, Metro revival" thing was already long discussed here.

I know its been long discussed, but I didn't think to post this there (silly me).

Also, metro isn't dying, but its crippled.

But then again, it depends on ones understanding of metro.

Its like hipsters. The dictionary definition is basically one who is up on current trends, fashion, and tech, sometimes before everyone else (thus "liking it before its cool") HOWEVER, the cultural definition seems to be that of people who are nostalgic, wear retro clothing, and like taking photos with polaroid filters applied. It's quite the opposite.

In the same way, there is "METRO" the design philosophy, and "METRO" the culturally defined as Modern UI. This problem makes for very confusing communication.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
So you are talking about Metro as a style? Like the tiles, vibrant colors, etc.? Or the specific subway sign aspects of it? If you are talking about as a style, well of course it will change. All styles change and evolve. And even from the Zune to Windows Phone there were changes. So was Metro dead before Windows Phone even launched?

What you need to understand is that not every app is best built using the pivot and panorama experience. Its a great method for most simple apps, or for apps that don't have a "known" UI from another platform.

At this point you are just pulling hairs. Apps are still being built with this base level Metro theme. Your sudden cry out seems like an over reaction to the FB app.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
So you are talking about Metro as a style? Like the tiles, vibrant colors, etc.? Or the specific subway sign aspects of it? If you are talking about as a style, well of course it will change. All styles change and evolve. And even from the Zune to Windows Phone there were changes. So was Metro dead before Windows Phone even launched?
:angry: Nono no no no. A design philosophy. HOW its styled. HOW its designed. HOW it functions and it is used.

What you need to understand is that not every app is best built using the pivot and panorama experience. Its a great method for most simple apps, or for apps that don't have a "known" UI from another platform.
Did you even listen to me? Forget the dang pivots and panoramas. Forget them. Throw them out the window. BURN them. they have NOTHING to do with metro. They are merely tools that if used responsibly can obtain/use metro.

At this point you are just pulling hairs. Apps are still being built with this base level Metro theme. Your sudden cry out seems like an over reaction to the FB app.

1. Metro Theme? No. nono nono no. Its not a theme. Its not a style. Its a way of doing things. Its a way of design
2. This "cry" was a LONG time coming. many things have been bothering me about this. Facebook was just a catalyst of sorts.

[SUB]My apologies for textually raising my voice.[/SUB]

Last edited:

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna guess those fixated on things being "metro" all the time must do this stuff for a living or worked on WP originally. Personally, I don't really care. If an app has "metro" look and works great. If it doesn't and works, that's fine with me as well. As long as the app works, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
you should define metro. The new facebook app features a very modern, flat design that fits windows phone perfectly..

Metro [me - tro] n. A design philosophy where content is put first and displayed with unique and fitting typography, in which chrome is only used subtly to accent or improve the appearance, and in which motion is key. EXAMPLE: "Windows' Modern UI was built around metro." note: Modern UI, unlike Metro, is an interface. Metro is a way of doing things. A design philosophy if you will

That's the best I can do for a "dictionary style" definition. And even though I wish they put more effort into the app, I will agree that it (fb beta) is, at most, using basic Modern UI elements.

I'm gonna guess those fixated on things being "metro" all the time must do this stuff for a living or worked on WP originally. Personally, I don't really care. If an app has "metro" look and works great. If it doesn't and works, that's fine with me as well. As long as the app works, lol.

I actually don't. im a chef/waiter at a local caf?, however, Metro, Modern UI, and Windows 8 (Phone, x86, Tablet {RT}) are a few things im passionate about.

1. Facebook Beta
  2. Twitter
  3. Untappd
  4. Chronos Calendar

Actually, Twitter IS Metro. They integrated Modern UI elements, while integrating familiarity, Content was put first above all (content in this case being tweets), and the design is not full of added bezels and chrome. And the typography is of course MS' classic Segoe WP, so its a given.

Last edited by a moderator:

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Metro [me - tro] n. A design philosophy where content is put first and displayed with unique and fitting typography, in which chrome is only used subtly to accent or improve the appearance, and in which motion is key. EXAMPLE: "Windows' Modern UI was built around metro." note: Modern UI, unlike Metro, is an interface. Metro is a way of doing things. A design philosophy if you will

That's the best I can do for a "dictionary style" definition. And even though I wish they put more effort into the app, I will agree that it (fb beta) is, at most, using basic Modern UI elements.

I actually don't. im a chef/waiter at a local caf?, however, Metro, Modern UI, and Windows 8 (Phone, x86, Tablet {RT}) are a few things im passionate about.

Actually, Twitter IS Metro. They integrated Modern UI elements, while integrating familiarity, Content was put first above all (content in this case being tweets), and the design is not full of added bezels and chrome. And the typography is of course MS' classic Segoe WP, so its a given.

Twitter broke from the common Metro elements too, similar to Facebook, but it gets a pass? The Facebook app uses Segoe WP, there is no chrome, the content is definitely first. But it also brings in familiar elements from the standard Facebook web elements.

I understand you are passionate about Metro, as am I. Much of the work I do for my company is similar to the Metro Design philosophy. That design philosophy dates back to Swiss design and Bauhaus. The principals of the philosophy is important, but some things need moved around a little to make it appropriate for the use case.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree with OP..

There seems to be a slight shift away from the core 'Metro' design. I personally think there is.
The 'new' Facebook beta is a case in point. It looks like every other Facebook app out there. I don't like it. Not just for the 'flat' look, but the functionality feels just like Android. If I wanted that, I would have bought an Android phone. Not very WP8 like at all.

A lot of users seem to want the Android feel and customisation on everything. It defeats the point of WP. I want a slick useable OS, not a tarted up wannabe from 2009.
A lot of posts are we want this or that, or on Android it does this.... Buy an Galaxy S4 or HTC One then. Jesus!!!!!

calecamo

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I think the design of Facebook app (official) looks so much better than beta. Would it be possible just to work around it to have the functionality needed than design a new one that looks like iOs android one
Sent from my cyan Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

AliSiirappi

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
If Metro means apps that waste precious screenspace in oodles, I would Say good riddance and please Never come back. The official Facebook app is hideous in how it wasted space on the top and bottom of the screen. Content is king. It is fairly annoying seeing apps that have their name and logo in Two separate lines wasting space at the top. Hate it and have it from the getgo When I got my Lumia 920. Android and ios apps give me more info and less silliness than metro.

Andr3sfc

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
If Metro means apps that waste precious screenspace in oodles, I would Say good riddance and please Never come back. The official Facebook app is hideous in how it wasted space on the top and bottom of the screen. Content is king. It is fairly annoying seeing apps that have their name and logo in Two separate lines wasting space at the top. Hate it and have it from the getgo When I got my Lumia 920. Android and ios apps give me more info and less silliness than metro.

THIS. "Content is king", as written by you, is actually a Metro core principle. Even the rant posted by the OP states it ("Metro is all about content before chrome", "a philosophy of design, where content was first"). But some people seem that would be happier with a huge "Facebook", in "beautiful typography", [wasting] occuping half of the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786