Does Windows Phone have Insufficient Storage Problem

Mahesh Abnave

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I know that my budget Android have somewhat 521 MB ROM+RAM, but now its ROM is almost filled and I get "Insufficient storage" warning while installing or updating any apps failing installation. I cant move some apps out of ROM to microSD and they now keep occupying all the ROM thus preventing installation of new softwares or updates. Does this problem persist in Windows Phone since I want to know if this will occur also on the budget Windows Phone if I buy in future. I use a lot of apps.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I would say this: If you use tons of apps including games, get at least 16gb internal memory. WP has some of its own issues but the key is having plenty of internal memory from the beginning.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Budget WPs have 4 and 8 gb of memory. You put music, pics and videos to your micro sd, so the rest you have for you apps. How much apps you instal?

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
honestly i can't answer you about the ROM+RAM because i still have 1.8Gb free lol

but i think you would be fine with a 520 (or 620) if you think 8Gb of internal memory is enough!
but again, the big question is: how many apps - specially games - do you use?

cause in WP it's not possible at all to move apps to SD so you'd have to deal with the 8Gb

SD is only for media (pics, videos, music) and maps (enabled thru storage check beta)

Mahesh Abnave

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Well actually in Android I think its not just internal memory but the size of the /system and other partition on the internal memory that limits the number of apps that it can install. And that's what I am refereeing to as a ROM. My friend have Samsung phone with internal 2GB memory. However in Settings > Manage Apps it shows only some MBs for apps out which some is use and some is free. So just want to ask, can we use all the internal memory on the Windows Phone for installing apps? And yeah can we move all the apps to SD card? Since this is not possible with Android without rooting.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You cannot move apps to the SD card. You can't use all the advertised internal storage on any device, as some has to be used to store the likes of the operating system and built in apps. However, there's no system vs. app partitioning at play here, so what's available is what you can use. If you're after a specific phone, say what it is and users might be able to tell you how much free storage they had when they first got their device.

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I know that my budget Android have somewhat 521 MB ROM+RAM, but now its ROM is almost filled and I get "Insufficient storage" warning while installing or updating any apps failing installation. I cant move some apps out of ROM to microSD and they now keep occupying all the ROM thus preventing installation of new softwares or updates. Does this problem persist in Windows Phone since I want to know if this will occur also on the budget Windows Phone if I buy in future. I use a lot of apps.

here's the solution on android: buy a 16 or 32 gb sdcard, backup the phone, root, and then store apps on the sdcard since internal is insufficient.

here's the solution on wp: buy the largest internal storage capacity you can, hope the "other" bug is fixed eventually, and (if applicable) buy the largest sdcard possible for that device to store user files.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
WP 8 has models up to 32gb and alot of phones allow SD card support. Some don't, so you would have to research that if you plan on using an SD card. So, in that regard, I would say no storage problem there...

However, there is this "Other" storage issue/bug that should be remedied in the next major update for everyone. There's some apps (including Lumia Storage Check Beta if you have a Lumia) that will help in this regard before the update. I think most are pushing for this Other storage annoyance to be fixed first. Most are finding that 16-32 GB phones are good enough for them.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a budget phone, the other storage but is major flaw. The 32gb phones don't have sd slots and the smaller phones fill up to quickly if you want to install a decent amount of apps.

Mahesh Abnave

May 4, 2013
Visit site
@ohgood yeah I know that but rooting Android is pain sometimes. Especially in my case am badly stuck with that since I dont find CWM recovery for my phone. Here is XDA thread I created for that: Finding / building CWM Recovery - xda-developers

So I just thought if thats the condition with WP. If not I believe thats real point to go for WP, since I believe there are only two bad things in Android: this storage issue in budget phones and updates.

But still I believe WP should bring ability to move apps to SD, since budget WP phones will also have similar issue as budget android. At least with rooting Android can overcome it.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
@ohgood yeah I know that but rooting Android is pain sometimes. Especially in my case am badly stuck with that since I dont find CWM recovery for my phone. Here is XDA thread I created for that: Finding / building CWM Recovery - xda-developers

So I just thought if thats the condition with WP. If not I believe thats real point to go for WP, since I believe there are only two bad things in Android: this storage issue in budget phones and updates.

But still I believe WP should bring ability to move apps to SD, since budget WP phones will also have similar issue as budget android. At least with rooting Android can overcome it.

There are major performance issues when you actually move the apps to a slower SD card, that's one of the primary reasons Android has stopped doing it as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb