Wow look... View Text Message Backup in Outlook!?

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
My issue is that, if you have more messages backed up than the phone can hold, at one time, you can only recover a portion of your messages. This would not be much of an issue if you could see them, in Outlook. But, as you cannot the remaining messages are orphaned.

Stefan De Moor

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I also got an email from Outlook.com saying the History folder will be removed in autumn. But it will be replace by a folder named 'Messages' (french version, maybe 'Chat' in english) wich will contain Google Talk, Facebook and Skype chat. Don't you think they will also include SMS? I hope so!!

mth17

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I also got an email from Outlook.com saying the History folder will be removed in autumn. But it will be replace by a folder named 'Messages' (french version, maybe 'Chat' in english) wich will contain Google Talk, Facebook and Skype chat. Don't you think they will also include SMS? I hope so!!
Hi all,

Haven't checked this thread in a very long time, sorry!

I actually also got this email too, from the Outlook team, but I realized that you can actually use this to your advantage. If you follow my instructions, you should be able to see all your texts in the "Messaging History" (if not, let me know the problem).

These are the instructions in the email I got..
If you want to keep a record of your chats, you'll need to move them to another folder. To move your message history:

In Outlook.com, right-click Folders, and then click Add a new folder.
Enter a name for the folder and press the Enter key.
Click Messaging history, and then click the check box at the very top of your message list.
Click Select everything.
Right-click any message and then click Move.
Select the folder you want to move your messages to, and then click Move.

Sooooo going forward from there, provided you can see your texts..you can actually select all of them and them move them to a new folder that you have created. Therefore, you don't have to keep deleting the "b" at the end of the url and you are free to see them whenever you want! :excited:

Here's a screen shot to what I mean
WP.png

As you can see, I have created a new folder called "Text Message History" and I have moved all my messages from the hidden "Messaging History" folder into something that I can now see and not worry if they ever remove the hidden glitch.

It might be obvious to some, but I thought it might be of some help to others :wink:

mth17

May 20, 2013
Visit site
This is a very interesting feature, it looks like Microsoft is testing the system based on the mixed success rate of above posters and the fact that they are not yet advertising it as a feature.

btw do you need to have text message backup enabled on your phone for this to work? and/or your phone number set up with your MS account?

Yes, to the text message backup and yes to the link with the MS account

Rcxotic

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
None of the above worked for me but I just kept clicking around and trying different things and finally got them to appear.

Try clicking on this link and then go to view by -->conversation

https://blu154.mail.live.com/mail/I...-0000-000000000000&so=Date&sa=false&fav=false

This showed all of my text messages :smile:

Sweet! This worked, basically,
- login to outlook.com
- click on messaging history
- remove the "b" at the end of the URL
- click on Arrange By
- click on Conversation view

worked for me :) Thanks!

mrZoSo

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I actually also got this email too, from the Outlook team, but I realized that you can actually use this to your advantage. If you follow my instructions, you should be able to see all your texts in the "Messaging History" (if not, let me know the problem).

Sooooo going forward from there, provided you can see your texts..you can actually select all of them and them move them to a new folder that you have created. Therefore, you don't have to keep deleting the "b" at the end of the url and you are free to see them whenever you want! :excited:

As you can see, I have created a new folder called "Text Message History" and I have moved all my messages from the hidden "Messaging History" folder into something that I can now see and not worry if they ever remove the hidden glitch.

It might be obvious to some, but I thought it might be of some help to others :wink:

But will future SMS/MMS backups also go in to this new folder automatically?
Also, when I moved them to the newly created folder, it REMOVED them from my phone! Moving them back to Messaging History restored them back on the phone.

Last edited:

Mikko Muilu

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Sweet! This worked, basically,
- login to outlook.com
- click on messaging history
- remove the "b" at the end of the URL
- click on Arrange By
- click on Conversation view

worked for me :) Thanks!

I've tried and tried this "remove b"-thing every now and then, but it never worked. Now, this arrange by conversation worked for me. I didn't get back messages I've deleted from my phone, but got all the ones still in the phone.

Spedez

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Just bull****. No text messages are ever backed up in cloud. At least for me. I have the setting on in my phone and in outlook, no matter what "b" tricks I try I can't see any of the text messages. Why is MS making this so hard or does their software just suck? With age old Nokia Suite you could easily see and browse all your text messages on your PC.

huonghieu1411

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

View attachment 40324

Hey guy, i've done your instructions many time, but it still show up Facebook messages and MS team messages which had been sent directly to my hotmail :(( Last night be4 i reset my phone, i checked status of Text messages back up and it on and i rememberm it'd on for long time ago. to day after a hard reset, in the begin of restore, i chose back up in 30/9/2013 ( yesterday ) to restore, and no text messages restore for me.... so sadd :((

fusion-pc

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Trying to reply to Mr. ZoSo's comment:

I also moved all my messages from the hidden folder into one I can see, but my messages were ALSO deleted from my phone!! I moved them back into the Messing History folder, but they are not reappearing on my phone.
I'm afraid that if I go into my phone's Settings and manually run the text message backup, it will delete all texts from the "Messaging History" folder since they aren't on the phone anymore (I would assume that what is on the phone takes precedence over what Outlook stores)

Outlook does not allow me to copy&paste my messages to another folder for safekeeping, it only moves them. How should I proceed?

Kristijan87

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I just did something that displayed all received text messages. Kinda. Well, let me explain. I was fiddling with categories on Outlook.com. You go to the bottom of the left column when on Outlook.com and under "Quick Views" you right click on any category and select "Manage Categories". Then, tick "Contacts" to let it appear in Quick Views.

I did this and voila, clicking on "Contacts" under "Quick Views" now brings up a mix of emails and text messages from, well, my contacts. The only thing is, I can't seem to open any of those texts. Well, I can open some of them (very few of them, actually). But they are there. There even was one unread text message I completely forgot about. I marked it as read and that synced with my Lumia instantly.

No fuss with URLs. It's semi-functional now. Try it and tell me if it works for you, I hope it does.

EDIT: if you want to read the entire text message, try forwarding it, it will let you see the entire text, it works for me.

Davinder Sangha1

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I managed to get this working, but I then moved a lot of messages using Outlook.com from the Quick View folder to a new Text Message folder. However, they've disappeared from my phone. How do I copy them back to the phone, but keep them in my Text Messages folder as well?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb