Alert! ALL live tiles have stopped???

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so, there are two issues present here:

1) If your live tiles NEVER update, even after opening the apps, you might have the stuck app problem, usually caused by crashes or issues. Clear the IE history, & reset with vol down & power. Then wait. It may take a few times for this to catch, but it works, trust me.

2) This second issue is the one I just had. Its the same damn bug from WP7. Once you have x amount of apps with live tiles - whether they're enabled or not - the system can't update them. They'll update once after opening the app, & freeze again. This is solved by uninstalling apps listed in the background tasks part of settings. Amazing Weather may have just been coincidental. Chances are, any app would've fixed this.

Is there a particular number after which tiles don't update? Is it related to the number of installed apps/games, or the number pinned to the start screen?

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been able to pin down the number, but its relative to the number installed. They don't need to be pinned or even on. Search & you'll see this same issue existed on WP7

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been able to pin down the number, but its relative to the number installed. They don't need to be pinned or even on. Search & you'll see this same issue existed on WP7

I've never experienced this. Im surprised to read about this bug. But its possible I haven't noticed it, so I'll keep a check on this. I have about 55 apps and 15 games, but haven't noticed tiles not updating.

josh_feinberg

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
FWIW I have only 5 apps that I have background tasks enabled: Amazing Weather HD, Battery Sense, CNN, Chronos Calendar, and My Stocks Portfolio +. I've been careful to limit this number since the first time I dealt with this issue. After I go through the process of Unpin, Block, (sometimes) Soft Reset, Power Off, Power On, Repin, Open my live tiles will update once, maybe twice. Then they stop. I know this because CNN, Battery Sense, and Amazing Weather have times on the live tiles.

I've also uninstalled all of them, and then redownloaded one to check them out one at a time. I've done this with CNN, Amazing Weather, and Battery Sense (again since they have times). It hasn't helped.

I've read that if you wait a while they'll eventually start working again (which honestly is BS) so I'm stopping and giving them a few days. This happened to me the same day that the new Youtube and Foursquare apps came out, but I think that's coincidence otherwise this would be much more widespread.

Hopefully GDR2 comes out within the next few weeks and will clear all this up. I'm also hopeful it won't take that long.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
As I've said multiple times, it isn't the number of enabled apps, its the number installed, enabled or not. Same exact issue we've been dealing with since 2010.

Go to background tasks, and advanced, start uninstalling apps you don't use. I uninstalled 12 on Saturday & they came back to life.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
This just started with my phone after I was just telling my brother (his stopped working) I've never had this issue. Annoying. Most of my stuff is push, but I do like to see updated weather and stocks.

Corrado Andriani

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
My live tiles were dead since a very long time...
Then the last test was that I opened all the apps I have on my Lumia 920, acknowledged all the warning, alerts, info for those apps that I didn't open since ages.
After doing that it seems that my tiles are alive again... :wink:
Otherwise it was quite a coincidence!

Good luck!

Last edited:

wfblue

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Live tiles have been inop for a few weeks. Removed about 10 unused apps which has been listed in background tasks( even though not enabled) and did a shut off and back on. Live tiles now functioning again.

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have not yet experienced this problem although it sounds very very annoying indeed. The whole point of WP Is live tiles and stability so why are all these problems happening??

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
As I've said multiple times, it isn't the number of enabled apps, its the number installed, enabled or not. Same exact issue we've been dealing with since 2010.

Go to background tasks, and advanced, start uninstalling apps you don't use. I uninstalled 12 on Saturday & they came back to life.

This just fixed it for me too

Why do all those apps need to be in background tasks anyway? I had games sitting in there too, spyware ?

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My third party live tiles are working, but Marketplace notifications have been dead for a while. Tried unpinning, clearing IE history, repinning, and still no good. Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb