Do you think WP should be the WinRT feature wise ??

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
We all know WP has great UI and fluidity but one major aspect WP needs to address is features and OS limitations. People say WinRT is secure and still it has facilities like file manager, but when it comes to WP, people think file manager would be a security disaster. On WinRT, file can be used by multiple apps yet it's a secure OS but same can't be said about WP. Let's face the truth, we can't even set any music file as a ringtone without the help of PC.PDF disaster is laughable. It's a big shame, am I missing something or feature wise WP should give what WinRT is giving right now.....??? Thoughts and corrections are welcomed.

P.S. Think beyond US.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
You can set any mp3 as a ringtone without a PC. Just download Nokia?s ringtone maker.

The filer explorer could be handy, but is not necessary in the phone.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
If rumor is correct, WP8.1 Blue should be closer to using a full Windows Runtime [WinRT] (Currently its using a modified version called Windows Phone Runtime or WinPRT)

You can set any mp3 as a ringtone without a PC. Just download Nokia?s ringtone maker.

That's only if you own a nokia device. If you have an 8x, 8s, Odyssey, or Ativ S, you cant get it last I checked.

File "Explorer" in a sense of viewing every file wouldn't be necessary, but adding a file chooser similar to Windows 8's to allow apps to open files of a specific type, even if the default is an alternate app, could be handy (Such as Microsoft Reader & Adobe Reader. the apps could have an "open" command which would launch the file chooser and display (without folders, unlike 8) all files of the supported type within the device.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
This topic has been discussed to death, but yes you are right WinRT should be on a phone. It runs on a crappy Tegra 3 processor so there is no reason it can't run on our current phones, especially once WinPhone8/9 starts supporting 1080p.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I believe this is very much what Windows "Blue" (Win/WP 8.5?) is supposed to address. Bring their core and features much closer together so they will share much more in the way of devices, services, and apps.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Isn?t there any program to do it? I was just giving an example

Not last I knew. I do know you can RECORD ringtones in Windows Phone Insider, but not make them out of music. Only way I know is either a PC or using Nokia Ringtone Maker on Windows Phone. Though you could search for apps on windowsphone.com for a ringtone maker. Their may be one for free or paid in the Windows Store.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
We all know WP has great UI and fluidity but one major aspect WP needs to address is features and OS limitations. People say WinRT is secure and still it has facilities like file manager, but when it comes to WP, people think file manager would be a security disaster. On WinRT, file can be used by multiple apps yet it's a secure OS but same can't be said about WP. Let's face the truth, we can't even set any music file as a ringtone without the help of PC.PDF disaster is laughable. It's a big shame, am I missing something or feature wise WP should give what WinRT is giving right now.....??? Thoughts and corrections are welcomed.

P.S. Think beyond US.

Secure?

Microsoft fixes critical Windows, Office, IE security flaws | ZDNet

It still needs security updates.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Not last I knew. I do know you can RECORD ringtones in Windows Phone Insider, but not make them out of music. Only way I know is either a PC or using Nokia Ringtone Maker on Windows Phone. Though you could search for apps on windowsphone.com for a ringtone maker. Their may be one for free or paid in the Windows Store.

There isn't a one. I found one but it basically records music file available on my phone already, the quality of such ringtone is crap. Nokia does have some special access, I hope Nokia would provide something in future.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
If rumor is correct, WP8.1 Blue should be closer to using a full Windows Runtime [WinRT] (Currently its using a modified version called Windows Phone Runtime or WinPRT)

If I can recall, it's about kernel and windows store, rumors never said anything about FEATUREs, or did they ??
That's only if you own a nokia device. If you have an 8x, 8s, Odyssey, or Ativ S, you cant get it last I checked.

File "Explorer" in a sense of viewing every file wouldn't be necessary, but adding a file chooser similar to Windows 8's to allow apps to open files of a specific type, even if the default is an alternate app, could be handy (Such as Microsoft Reader & Adobe Reader. the apps could have an "open" command which would launch the file chooser and display (without folders, unlike 8) all files of the supported type within the device.

Exactly, file manager is a suggestion, if MS can give you something which file manager can do without providing file manager then it's not necessary but will MS do ?? Or will Nokia have to continue such workups like Nokia Ringtone makers ?? Even that app can't allow you to make ringtone more than 30 sec.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

What about HTC 8X ?? And hell, why I need an app to setup ringtone on my phone :angry: and it's just an example, we need a lot of features.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, file manager is a suggestion, if MS can give you something which file manager can do without providing file manager then it's not necessary but will MS do ?? Or will Nokia have to continue such workups like Nokia Ringtone makers ?? Even that app can't allow you to make ringtone more than 30 sec.

Not a file manager (unneeded) but a file chooser (which would be used at a developers discretion in an app, and would fix the file issues w/o creating the problems of a file explorer/manager).

And that's an OS limit I believe. Im not exactly sure about WP8, but I know WP7 doesn't allow ringtones longer than 30 - 40sec.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Not a file manager (unneeded) but a file chooser (which would be used at a developers discretion in an app, and would fix the file issues w/o creating the problems of a file explorer/manager).

And that's an OS limit I believe. Im not exactly sure about WP8, but I know WP7 doesn't allow ringtones longer than 30 - 40sec.

But why can't we have file manager instead.... That would solve a lot of problems. Don't know about length of ringtone though but if it's there then this is one more reason to be annoyed.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
But why can't we have file manager instead.... That would solve a lot of problems. Don't know about length of ringtone though but if it's there then this is one more reason to be annoyed.

Because a file manager more or less would be a file explorer. Sooner or later someone would find a way to exploit it and get access to areas of the OS they don't belong. It could also decrease security, allowing potentially malicious apps to use this to access the system and do damage.

Not to mention, a Windows 8 style file chooser could solve just as much problems. Not all apps that support specific file types are probably listed as compatible in the store, so if you had a file manager anyways, you wouldn't be able to open the files in those unspecified apps, despite the fact they support them. However, if Microsoft implemented a (limited) file chooser, im sure plenty of devs would hop on board (im sure it wouldn't be difficult to implement), and it would allow applications, even those that are not default or those that are not listed in the store as apps that can open a specific file type, to open files they support. It also would only have limited access to areas (you wouldn't be able to explore everything. An app would only display files, from app directories, that are the specific file types the devs specify, and one would not be able to change the directory (since the file list would be pulling from all available directories), in theory.)

at least, that's the way I see it. Not to mention, there is alternatives to a file manager, such as the file chooser. A file manager is for opening and managing files, however, one doesn't need the multiple folders and such on a smartphone.

[SUP]Hope I explained what I meant clearly. I have a habit of confusing people[/SUP]

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Because a file manager more or less would be a file explorer. Sooner or later someone would find a way to exploit it and get access to areas of the OS they don't belong. It could also decrease security, allowing potentially malicious apps to use this to access the system and do damage.

Not to mention, a Windows 8 style file chooser could solve just as much problems. Not all apps that support specific file types are probably listed as compatible in the store, so if you had a file manager anyways, you wouldn't be able to open the files in those unspecified apps, despite the fact they support them. However, if Microsoft implemented a (limited) file chooser, im sure plenty of devs would hop on board (im sure it wouldn't be difficult to implement), and it would allow applications, even those that are not default or those that are not listed in the store as apps that can open a specific file type, to open files they support. It also would only have limited access to areas (you wouldn't be able to explore everything. An app would only display files, from app directories, that are the specific file types the devs specify, and one would not be able to change the directory (since the file list would be pulling from all available directories), in theory.)

at least, that's the way I see it. Not to mention, there is alternatives to a file manager, such as the file chooser. A file manager is for opening and managing files, however, one doesn't need the multiple folders and such on a smartphone.

[SUP]Hope I explained what I meant clearly. I have a habit of confusing people[/SUP]

i agree on this one! a File Manager could lead to potential security risks!

and i don't really see the need for a File Manager in a smartphone except for removing bloatware - but that's Android thing, we don't have to worry about it with WP!

perhaps like you suggested a File Chooser or a limited File Manager could be the answer!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to point out an important distinction Dustin is making. As described, the file chooser would not be an app! As described, it would be a component provided by the OS, which developers can use (or not use) to provide app specific file access functionality. That functionality is then integrated into any app that needs it, but isn't available as a separate app. I suspect some people were missing that. This would more accurately be described as a "file chooser component". Being a software component, only developers would have direct use for it. Users could access it but indirectly via the apps that incorporate it. I agree with Dustin that something along those lines is likely to be a part of Microsoft's solution.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Win8 pro is secure, as is WinRT an WP8. MS would not market an OS they considered to be other than secure. The worry is that WP8 requires so many restrictions to keep it secure when the other versions don't. Instead of making it both functional and secure at the same time, they just took the quick route and locked the user out with WP8. I want WinPhoneBlue to be properly secure like WinRT. Not a leaky sieve that has to be locked up in dry dock to stop it from sinking. If WP8 was secure and trustworthy by nature, why would MS have to throw away the key?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Win8 pro is secure, as is WinRT an WP8. MS would not market an OS they considered to be other than secure...

You tell me why you think it is applicable to lump W8, W8RT and WP8 into one basket and call them all secure (I assume you are implying they are all equally secure), and I'll tell you why you are mistaken.

It sounds like you're also assuming an OS is either 100% secure or insecure. That too is a mistake. Some may have noticed the stream of security updates pouring out of Redmond each week. That should make it obvious to everyone that Microsoft doesn't consider their operating systems entirely secure. No operating system is. Microsoft will release thousands of W8 security patches over the next few years... each of them represents a security vulnerability that exists in our W8 and W8RT installations today... literally thousands of them.

I'm starting to think we would all be better off, if we agreed to never use the term "secure" again, instead replacing it with a description of what we actually mean. As it is used now, the term is nothing more than a buzzword with almost no meaning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99