Running the Windows core inside WP has side effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=49CA5FBFBAF16BF1!1520&authkey=!AKuPm4b2SIrhSQM

Look at the pic ^^
This is in IE10 a great metro app. I'd never expect to see the big infamous windows red X in it. I know it's just a security cert. error, but it looks like a typical error message. This would scare the average user for sure until they read it. Obviously, the people porting the NT core couldn't metrofy error messages?

Now lets look at another image...

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=49CA5FBFBAF16BF1!1523&authkey=!ACUycgNVb7Okm9Q

That's a legit boot error. This is windows phone, the most buttery, optimized OS in the world. That boot error right there are the exact things MS wants to get rid of and make their companys image have less bluescreens and more tiles.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The error message notifies you that the site has an invalid security certificate. It does its job, no? Additionally, "SmartScreen" does have a Metro warning screen for unsafe websites. That boot error? Someone was messing around with modified firmware. No user is going to come across that.

I find it hard to believe you found the pictures without the accompanying explanations. Thread seems pointless.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
+1 ^
These are perfectly normal and certainly doing its job. Regarding the boot screen, never seen a failed root android phone?

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm unsure about the first one. It's the first time I've seen a certificate error displayed like that in the mobile IE app on Win Phone 8. Interesting that the URL shows "glass to facebook" in it. If you tell us the URL used maybe we could reproduce the error and confirm.

The second image displays a known error message that only shows itself when installing ROMs(usually hacking them on) and is a side effect of bypassing the secure boot process.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The first error message is part of IE. It is meant to scare the user, because it is alerting the user of a potentially very serious security threat! Since most users completely ignore messages and just click OK to dismiss them, you need to do stuff like this to get their attention.

How do you know that second error message is legit? Is that your phone?

I'm guessing there is no way to encounter such an error without tampering around with things you shouldn't. In that case, all bets are off, and you can fully expect to see more technical error messages you otherwise wouldn't.

Last edited:

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
any user that uses the web sees the first one, welcome to 2013 and the internet. It's a site using a self signed cert not trusted by a third party root source, that's an issue with the website not windows.

The second one is as described above and no "user" would see that.

I'm very confused as to what your point is. I can generate all kinds of errors on my PC and then say, "I thought MS was going to fix this stuff", well, if you break it on purpose and then take screen shots...

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The first error has next to nothing to do with the phone or the OS. That's a web-related issue and you'd encounter something similar on any other device.

As for the second message; it seems to me like you're doing non-standard things with your phone then complaining when the device spits up some unusual error message. What do you expect? What do you think would happen with a rooted Android phone or jailbroken iPhone?

Regarding standard error messages, one of the reasons iOS creates the illusion of stability is that they never give you a message when anything goes wrong. The device just spits you back to the home screen when something crashes. It turns out that users don't actually want more information about what's going on. So instead a crash turns into an inconvenience and people don't notice that their iPhone actually crashes relatively often.

mharr

Jan 2, 2004
Visit site
Obvious by his handle (Instigator?), he is throwing up phony error messages and saying Microsoft can't be trusted to write a decent operating system. Leave him alone and let him go to his cave.

Last edited by a moderator:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
android recovery is hard to use for the average person with non-obvious controls - therefore google should work to make it beautiful and fast

also thats a black screen not a blue screen

i've used plenty of OSes and they all have something scary, from PalmOS's black box of death, to something vague like the forever displayed Apple logo

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Obvious by his handle (Instigator?), he is throwing up phony error messages and saying Microsoft can't be trusted to write a decent operating system. Leave him alone and let him go to his cave.

We don't use the T word on WPCentral. We don't call out anyone. However, do feel free to report posts that seem like a bait and a moderator will sip his coffee all night and monitor the thread for rest of his life to do the needful as and when needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo