Windows Phone sync app (desktop and Windows 8 app)

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.

When I first got my Lumia 920 I used the Windows 8 app to sync but it was pretty useless - didn't seem to be a sync, more of a copy from the PC to the phone and seemed to screw up my albums (although that seems to be a setting on the phone which I've now turned off). The desktop program didn't seem to be much better, so I've been using WMP since.

It's been a few months now and I'm hoping either the app or desktop program have been updated to provide a better service - 2 way true sync, ability to create and manage playlists as well. I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on both before I tried it again - I didn't really want to move away from WMP at the moment as it does what I want (albeit in a clunky way) unless the official programs are better than they were at launch.

Cheers.

jonnymay

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi d0gsballs,

I have been using WMP11 pretty much exclusively for a couple of reasons: 1) the desktop sync app is heinous, and 2) WMP offers the ability to downconvert music so that the songs don't take up as much space on the device, and therefore I can fit more on.

The issue that I've seen is that WMP for some reason doesn't consistently keep up with what media files are already on the device, and in dealing with upwards of 20GB worth of music, I have had many occurrences of syncing files to the 920 multiple times. Scenario: I have a playlist with 15 songs in it, which I sync to my 920. If I add more songs to the playlist and re-sync, the entire playlist will sync, resulting in duplicates of the original 15 songs.

I am wondering if the problem lies in the way WMP handles/manipulates meta data in the files? I haven't found a solution yet, but still haven't resorted the clunky desktop sync app.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I noticed a similar problem when I want back to WMP after I checked whether the sync apps were improved yet. I had a full album and two of the songs were also in playlists. The result when the sync occurred was for the album to split into two with the two songs also found in playlists showing in their own little album (on the phone, not on WMP). To resolve I had to sync the album without the two songs first and then finally sync the two songs seperatly. Seemed to work then strangely.

I may go back to iTunes. It might have been a slow piece of software, but it worked damn well.

abqjfc

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I just activated my Lumia 928 - Which I refer to as the Porsche of smart phones - (928 - Porsche...).

I previously (up to last week) sync'd my Itunes with "Salling Media Sync" to my Droid Bionic (free app - just Google it). It works flawlessly!

Today: Lo and Behold, it also works with my 928. BUT, the only issue I have with the sync is that the playlists are not sync'd.

The music is sync'd but not the playlists.

I am currently working through that "issue"...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon