July 2013 Update / GDR3 (or whatever it will be called) Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
You just said you're holding out for MS to deliver the basics. But then why are you expecting Nokia to announce those basics which are up to MS to deliver? Makes no sense and seems like an obvious way to set yourself up for disappointment, no?

he is referring to the updates windows phone blog mentioned in the blog about Lumia 925

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
and that is important why?

because it's Microsoft announcing features that will be introduced into windows phones (a.k.a. Our HTC brethrens will also get them - when they actually get it is another issue). It's just "casually" mingled in a post introducing Lumia 925 so you may confuse it as a Lumia/nokia update.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is smart because they are not wasting resources trying to satisfy the users that will NEVER be satisfied.

Completely agree with all your statements Rob.

People are entitled to their own opinions and should be able to freely state what they do and do not like. On the other hand, judging the work of people in a field they themselves have absolutely zero expertise in is pretty pathetic, but unfortunately also commonplace.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
because it's Microsoft announcing features that will be introduced into windows phones (a.k.a. Our HTC brethrens will also get them - when they actually get it is another issue). It's just "casually" mingled in a post introducing Lumia 925 so you may confuse it as a Lumia/nokia update.

Okay. I think I read that same blog. The title of that section was: "WP8 update coming this summer", which seems pretty clear to me...

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Please refrain from personal attacks and insults. The reported material has been cleaned up. Remember this from the forum rules when posting.

[WARN]Personal Attacks or Insults to Members - Constructive discussions, debates and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to either criticize or insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If your are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic; you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.[/WARN]

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
It took 5 years for iOS and Android to get to where they are now. So I suggest you wait until 5 years has passed for Windows Phone. You cant just copy and paste this stuff. You don't understand the hundreds of things that needs to be analyzed and planned for each single new feature.

A notification center is a large feature. It takes time to code. And EVERYONE here should understand by now that Microsoft is focusing on the entire ECOSYSTEM as a whole. Do you want a lousy notification center now? Or do you want a notification center that's innovative, a notification center that syncs across all your devices like Windows 8 and Xbox?

My guess is you want the second one, as do I. So if you want a central notification center across the entire ecosystem, that means you have around a month of development for Windows Phone, a month of development for Xbox, a month of development for Windows 8, etc.

MS is doing everything correctly. They are doing everything the RIGHT WAY. Let the PROFESSIONALS do what they have been doing for YEARS.

That was because of poor screens and hardware back then.

It was difficult for implementing advanced features because of limits in hardware.

Right now , we have cutting edge hardware , MS should be little fast than what they are currently having

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
CalDAV & CardDAV will be nice additions. I also wish they had better theme options. How about letting us choose both background and tile colors from a color wheel or something so there is more options.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
The list of updates and features in GDR2 is rather disappointing. They're all fairly minor and it does seem like we're moving at a snail's pace when we have quite a lot to catch up on. Don't get me wrong these are welcome additions (I hope my carrier gets DataSense!) but in six months I'd have expected to see a bit more progress...

These are minor updates, the list of large features are for major updates. If you liken it to IOS, you have a couple small updates each year that fix problems, or improve small features, and then you have the major bump in IOS version number.

They are moving at a pretty good speed, adding the stuff they have / will in between the major updates is pretty nice. they cold pull an Apple and only fix small things and leave ALL new features for the version release.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
It took 5 years for iOS and Android to get to where they are now. So I suggest you wait until 5 years has passed for Windows Phone. You cant just copy and paste this stuff. You don't understand the hundreds of things that needs to be analyzed and planned for each single new feature.

A notification center is a large feature. It takes time to code. And EVERYONE here should understand by now that Microsoft is focusing on the entire ECOSYSTEM as a whole. Do you want a lousy notification center now? Or do you want a notification center that's innovative, a notification center that syncs across all your devices like Windows 8 and Xbox?

My guess is you want the second one, as do I. So if you want a central notification center across the entire ecosystem, that means you have around a month of development for Windows Phone, a month of development for Xbox, a month of development for Windows 8, etc.

MS is doing everything correctly. They are doing everything the RIGHT WAY. Let the PROFESSIONALS do what they have been doing for YEARS.

So if Apple released a video game console tomorrow that lacked a bunch of features present in modern consoles, should we afford them time to catch up because Nintendo, Sony, and MS had an almost 30, 20 and 10 year head start?

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

LoL what ??? Howmuch time did android,iOS need to reach 10% of global market share ?? It's been 3 years and still where wp stuck ?? MS is always slow, it's been 6 months and we still don't have good new features, not a word on different sound profile, other storage issue, oh crap we can't even set any music file as our ringtone....And why any supported video file received via bluetooth goes in the Saved Picture folder ?? Is this some kind of awesome feature or a bug like other storage ???

What kind of copy you're talking about, giving featurewto users is not a copy, MS isn't doing right or wrong, it's actually doing nothing. Just see, howmuch time Nokia took to bring storage check,network+ like options.... Don't be a blind fan...

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
These are minor updates, the list of large features are for major updates. If you liken it to IOS, you have a couple small updates each year that fix problems, or improve small features, and then you have the major bump in IOS version number.

They are moving at a pretty good speed, adding the stuff they have / will in between the major updates is pretty nice. they cold pull an Apple and only fix small things and leave ALL new features for the version release.

Giving options like set as a ringtone or giving different sound profile are not a big features.....

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

The problem here is 1) MSFT is playing catch up and they cannot afford to add major updates only on a yearly basis. 2) even if they announced big new major features, like datasense, restore from cloud or extended business support, they screwed it up by not delivering or do a half-baked implementation. 3) they are also removing features, like wireless sync, Zune video support, fm radio etc. 4) major functions that people expect on a smart phone are not there - sync music is a PITA (iTunes works 5 years ago); Xbox video is broken; exchange ActiveSync is half baked; the list goes on.
There are people who paid $99 a year to buy Xbox music subscription, and found cloud sync is only available on windows 8? Wait a year - that's$99 dollars.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Giving options like set as a ringtone or giving different sound profile are not a big features.....

It may seem like a small feature but it may require more work than what they can do in a month time. We do not know how the OS is written, things are integrated with this and that, and it is a whole tangle of code that needs to get sorted, tested, and sorted again. Its not as easy as plug this in and whala its good to go. It can potentially be a major undertaking. It was a Major feature with its release in IOS

The problem here is 1) MSFT is playing catch up and they cannot afford to add major updates only on a yearly basis. 2) even if they announced big new major features, like datasense, restore from cloud or extended business support, they screwed it up by not delivering or do a half-baked implementation. 3) they are also removing features, like wireless sync, Zune video support, fm radio etc. 4) major functions that people expect on a smart phone are not there - sync music is a PITA (iTunes works 5 years ago); Xbox video is broken; exchange ActiveSync is half baked; the list goes on.
There are people who paid $99 a year to buy Xbox music subscription, and found cloud sync is only available on windows 8? Wait a year - that's$99 dollars.

You can have one of two things, rushed half assed releases, or a bit longer time in development to get things right. your asking a baker for a loaf of bread before he has the dough, and getting ticked off that its not done. They are playing catch up, so why not get it right the first time instead of pissing off customers because they continue to rush things through that are half finished?

Windows phone 8 was a MAJOR change, it was not like changing a light bulb, it was like rewiring the house. It takes time to get things written back into the OS after such a major change. They did not remove the previous features because they were wanting to be jerks, they removed them because they may have had issues with the overhaul, and required a deeper look to make sure they would work with everything that has been changed. Microsoft had to rush Windows phone 8 out the door, thus you get a half finished release because they did not have enough time to get it done (refer back to my first statement in this reply) you get a half baked loaf, or you get the finished product, you cannot have both. Xbox music is certainly a problem, again they need time to finish it.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nothing too interesting - Datasense i can see being useful if you are capped but if you are on unlimited - who cares?
U know the world? The world includes but not limited to US, UK, Mexico, Afghanistan, North Korea, Iraq and Iran...

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
So if Apple released a video game console tomorrow that lacked a bunch of features present in modern consoles, should we afford them time to catch up because Nintendo, Sony, and MS had an almost 30, 20 and 10 year head start?
This, this, this. When you're behind, hard work is required to outpace the market leaders. Situations such as with other storage are simply disappointing. For that specific issue, cache clearing has been a problem since Windows Phone's launch in 2010 and got real terrible with WP8 six months ago. All we've gotten is Belfiore promising "some improvements" in "future updates" in a random tweet. I very much appreciate Windows Phone for what it is, but Microsoft seems to be intent on giving it a really bad chance at relevance. There are feature requests which are easily implemented and provide nothing but benefit to end users that have gone ignored for years. Is the team too small? Are there archaic internal processes holding them back? I don't know, but consumers don't care. They just don't buy the product.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
It may seem like a small feature but it may require more work than what they can do in a month time. We do not know how the OS is written, things are integrated with this and that, and it is a whole tangle of code that needs to get sorted, tested, and sorted again. Its not as easy as plug this in and whala its good to go. It can potentially be a major undertaking. It was a Major feature with its release in IOS

They shouldn't have launched OS without such basic features, and I don't think it can take months...Even if takes, MS is a giant, just hire more people in wp and do some fast work to bring such basic features to wp.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
This, this, this. When you're behind, hard work is required to outpace the market leaders. Situations such as with other storage are simply disappointing. For that specific issue, cache clearing has been a problem since Windows Phone's launch in 2010 and got real terrible with WP8 six months ago. All we've gotten is Belfiore promising "some improvements" in "future updates" in a random tweet. I very much appreciate Windows Phone for what it is, but Microsoft seems to be intent on giving it a really bad chance at relevance. There are feature requests which are easily implemented and provide nothing but benefit to end users that have gone ignored for years. Is the team too small? Are there archaic internal processes holding them back? I don't know, but consumers don't care. They just don't buy the product.

Internal conflict or just J.B. alone develops WP at MS....MS is really careless about WP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb