Something interesting from the Nokia 928/925

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
First I would like to apologise to the mods if this is posted in the wrong forum.

Yesterday I was surprisingly lucky to be able to watch the Nokia event live streamed at work. The reason I say lucky was that I was able to view it at all as the IT restrictions on my work computer is pretty high, not because I saw the presentation. We all know that presentation wasn?t all that great though it did have some interesting points.

There were a couple of things that stuck out for me in the presentation and I would like to get your opinion on them by asking three questions but first let me point out these two things. I?d like to point out that I don?t have the video available to view so I?m going by memory.

At the end of the 925 presentation they pointed out the fact that Windows Phone has 90% of the top 50 apps (and only 1450,000 apps in store). I must admit to feeling slightly disappointed at that statement considering we?re almost at the closing of the second quarter for 2013 and that Windows Phone 8 has been out for almost three quarters now and we still haven?t got the top 50 apps. I?m not sure if games are in there or not as I know we're missing a few of the latest. It also means we?re missing about 5 of the 50 apps!

Next part that stood out was one of the questions by a reporter. Charles Arthur, who is no friend of MS or WP, a complete Apple ****** and wrote some horrible articles recently on both MS and Nokia. He writes for the tech section of the Guardian UK. Regardless of what I think of him and that his question was a weasel one that he?ll probably use in some article in the future to bash Nokia it was interesting to nevertheless. You?ll have to excuse my paraphrasing here again. His question was:

?What do you think is the one destinctive things that makes a person want to buy a mobile phone?? I think he asked about OS, camera, being made of metal.

He was of course taking a shot at the fact that Nokia concentrates so much on cameras and probably they fact they brought out a thin metal phone. I think it caught them off guard which I think was the idea. I don?t fully recall what those answers were but I doubt it satisfied him.

So my three questions for you is this:

1) Were you disappointed to see that we still only have 90% of the top 50 apps?
2) Do you think MS and Nokia are doing enough to sell the platform? What can be done better?
3) What apps (keeping it to 5) would it take to make your experience complete on WP (if any)

With the question about apps I?d like to avoid OS updates and make it purely about apps.

My answers:

1) Yes I was disappointed
2) I think Nokia are trying because their existence depends on it. I do think they are doing what they?ve always done; put as many phones out there as they can and let the consumers decide. Let?s hope that works. I think the biggest hang-up is with MS. What can be done better is advertising what the OS is capable of now. Yes we hope Windows Blue brings some much needed updates but that shouldn?t hold people back getting WP8 now.
3) Apps for me, I?m mostly happy: HSBC banking app, better calendar (I?m not overly fond of what?s available), other web browser option, Coffee app (London Coffee Guide example)

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
1) I'm not disappointed because it's not their fault.

2) I think they're doing enough. They can't hold guns to peoples heads, and force them to buy WP8 -- people get phones that work for them, unless they follow fashion.

3) Here in the UK, I would like to see Sky Go app, Halifax Bank app, Virgin Atlantic app, Ryan Air app and Crackle app.

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
1) I'm not disappointed because it's not their fault.

2) I think they're doing enough. They can't hold guns to peoples heads, and force them to buy WP8 -- people get phones that work for them, unless they follow fashion.

3) Here in the UK, I would like to see Sky Go app, Halifax Bank app, Virgin Atlantic app, Ryan Air app and Crackle app.

I have crackle on my trophy already. If you mean the video service.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre