The Thing I dont Understand Is Why Flash Player Mobile is Still Used

Nightprowler1966

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I was watching a popular TV show today. I wanted to continue to watch this on my phone which is a HTC Windows 8 Phone, but it says that I have to download Flash Player. When I go to the site using the computer it says it has a download for Android and iPhone. I got curious so I did some digging on how the site runs its video and it does run on Flash. So how does companies keep developing newer and exciting websites that run on an out dated software. Is adobe saying one thing and doing another for business? If a software is out dated and supposed to be non supported then why would a company still use such software. The show I was trying to watch is a new show and only released a couple of months ago. It seems that HBO, Max, Starz, Encore and all the others support Android and iDevices who change their whole platform configuration often (ie Ice Cream, Jelly Bean, Honeycomb) where as Windows has not so why does Windows not get consideration. Are the big two in mobile devices paying kick backs to the channel executives? They say its because Windows Phone 8 is a new device and they are waiting to see what happens, WP8 is solid third so why wait. I hope that WP8 executives and developers read the forums cause from where I am standing, WP8 is an Outstanding business phone, one where you can trust that your employees wont be watching the movie channels or any other distractions like checking the houses web cams, changing the A/C, or other things that iPhones and Androids can do. I have had a Windows phone since the start being the first in my area to own a HTC WP7 Trophy. I had hoped by this time things would be start to trickle in or change but as of now, nothing has changed. I just hope by the time my contract is up something comes around cause I am getting tired of waiting and defending a mobile OS that has so much potential but a company that doesn't want to do anything to make it better.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say it but market share is why Windows Phone isn't considered by a lot of app developers and the main reason why I keep an Android device with me. Give it time and as WP increases in market share the developer will be unable to keep their apps off the platform for long.

As for Flash Player Mobile, it's dead Jim, and never coming back. You also have to remember that no platform has Flash now anyway. The problem lies with the websites themselves whose developers can't be bothered to switch to HTML5, which I feel is superior to Flash anyway, to support all devices.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I hate to say it but market share is why Windows Phone isn't considered by a lot of app developers and the main reason why I keep an Android device with me. Give it time and as WP increases in market share the developer will be unable to keep their apps off the platform for long.

As for Flash Player Mobile, it's dead Jim, and never coming back. You also have to remember that no platform has Flash now anyway. The problem lies with the websites themselves whose developers can't be bothered to switch to HTML5, which I feel is superior to Flash anyway, to support all devices.

BB10 has flash and can be toggled on and off. Flash Mobile isn't dead until the website choose to switch to something else, not because you dictate it to be.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
BB10 has flash and can be toggled on and off. Flash Mobile isn't dead until the website choose to switch to something else, not because you dictate it to be.

The only reason that BB10 has it is because it was in development before Adobe killed Flash Player Mobile. It's dead, not because I say it is but because Adobe chose to kill it!!!!

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It's being very quickly phased out. Which is pretty much the same thing. Killing it on Google Chrome for Android was the first major step.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
it also sometimes due to the fact that webmasters dont really care to support IE10 properly. So a lot of the website, the HTML5 version is hit and miss on IE.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes