Windows Phone 8 - Wifi Hot Spot or Tether

jcornel7

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple of Windows 8 Phones. My challenge is that I carry around a Samsung Galaxy S4 as a wifi hot spot which I would rather not do anymore. I tried with AT&T to get them to turn the feature on and charge me for it, but I am still on a grandfathered unlimited data plan which they want to make me give up to get hotspot / tethering, which defeats the purpose. But I digress....What do i need to do to enable WiFi Hot Spot regardless of my carriers ineptness. I used to be able to on my previous Samsung WP7.

1. Can I edit the registry somehow?
2. Can I use my developers account somehow to enable it?
3. Do I have to "root" my phone?
4. Is there an app I can sideload?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the UK so not sure how much this will help. I've heard that AT&T is allowing unlocking of their phones after a period of time. Not sure if that opens up the system any. I'm assuming that the carrier prevents tethering? I've always found that a bit weird. On my 920 it's simply under Setting -> Internet sharing and all is good. Far as I know there's no app or jailbreak solution.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Odd how american companies have a habit of doing this. AFAIK no other countries restrict tethering or make you pay more for it.
Then again we dont have any unlimited plans at all for data. So maybe them blocking it is fair.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So if you're phone is unlocked it should just work?

I really wonder what the issue is with tethering that US carriers have. In any case, judging from a small amount of research I did if you have an unlocked phone prior to joining AT&T you would have no issues with tethering, (apparently people have had no issues in this situation) however if you bought an AT&T branded phone and got it unlocked it's possible that you'll be in the same situation. The only thing I could suggest is see if you can get AT&T to unlock your phone then see what happens.

Just out of curiosity do you have the Internet sharing under Settings?

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Even if you unlock the phone you still won't be able to tether. Only way to do it is have a non ATT firmware on the device. Any ATT branded device will have that restriction (but at least with android you have other app options)

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Odd how american companies have a habit of doing this. AFAIK no other countries restrict tethering or make you pay more for it.
Then again we dont have any unlimited plans at all for data. So maybe them blocking it is fair.

In the UK, you pay more or carriers block it (yes I know there are some work-arounds).

GoodDayToDie

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Depending on the WP8 phone you have, you may be able to get wired tethering working. I managed it on my Ativ S. The process is actually very similar to WP7 for Samsung phones, using the Diagnosis app (##634#) and then *#7284# to be able to switch the USB mode. "QC RmNetComposite", and then you have to find the appropriate drivers. I had to install them manually - Windows Update searching didn't work - but the drivers worked fine. I'm attaching the ones I used here; use Device Manager to install them (worked for me on Win7 x64; click through the warning about signatures).

More info: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] USB Tethering

Attachments

• Mobile_drivers.zip
    326.7 KB · Views: 484

AuToFluXx

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
This Doesnt Work on Windows 8 Or higher...! coz as we dial The Diagnosis Code..! it Doesnt Show any keypad Where we can Dial..! Soo Basically For Lumia 920..is it Possible to Usb tether it...? its urgent..!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss