Nokia is Windows Phone

Andre o Botelho

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Nokia HAD good design with Symbian phones, on WP I dont like it ( WP8 ones are getting better). If MS Join with Nokia to make the OS better they can suceed but currently WP is for High end Smartphones( Nokia fit it on a Lumia 520 but not every manufacturer can do this with Its expensive REQUIRED hardware) It cant get a market like Android but have to get a market like iOS. Currently Nokia NEEDS WP and WP is growing just because of Nokia smartphones - with HTC or Samsung WP is just another OS.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Difference is that Nokia gives choices ranging from $100 to $700. Apple doesn't do that at the moment.

As was said on the Podcast yesterday if it continues to be Nokia = WP then what difference really is it from Apple?

But hey, I might be living in a dream world...

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
You say, you don't like Nokia hardware and surface phone concept looks almost same as 928 and 822 from the front. Back is different(flat) but obviously 928's back is better.
I have an HTC 8x and i love the Phone, but it's really anoying that everwhere i read about windows Phone it's mentioned in combination with nokia.
I know nokia is supporting it to the max.(maybe more dan microsoft)
but in my opinion windows Phone looks to be the new symbian.

I hope MS designs somewhere in de feature (or as we speak) the're own Phone with hardware like they did with the surface.
I saw the other day an concept windows Phone surface View attachment 34546..... If that one comes to the market I instantly burn my 8x and buy that one.

EauRouge

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you OP.

I think Nokia should be given exclusive rights to allow for an even stronger and more unified push of WP devices.

That being said, if WP starts to get really big, there will be remorse for not fostering more competition, a la Android.

This is a tough problem to wrestle with, almost as tough as the whole "should BBM have gone cross platform" issue!

ArjanNL

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
You say, you don't like Nokia hardware and surface phone concept looks almost same as 928 and 822 from the front. Back is different(flat) but obviously 928's back is better.

"Don't like the hardware" is maybe not the correct formulation.
Don't get me wrong that nokia is doing a good job to windows Phone.
But if I had to choose between 8x and 920 which I did. (and maybe i was to greedy to get a WP, that I bought was the first WP (htc)
..I still choose the 8x for the outside looks. in my opinion the 920 is al really large and robust Phone.

A well, I have still my 8x for a least 1.5. years i think. Maybe after that there a more Phone choices.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If Samsung and HTC never released another Windows Phone device would you miss the diversity? Or is a Nokia driven Windows Phone platform perfectly fine with you?
Yes.
No.

It makes zero business sense for Nokia or M$ to put all their mobile eggs in one basket. That would be very near sighted and could invite catastrophe from several different avenues. It is also very bad for the consumer. Competition is good for the consumer.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes.
No.

It makes zero business sense for Nokia or M$ to put all their mobile eggs in one basket. That would be very near sighted and could invite catastrophe from several different avenues. It is also very bad for the consumer. Competition is good for the consumer.

It is an interesting argument, ever since Nokia has gotten onboard. But, where I think we at WP Central may be missing the proverbial forest for all these stinking trees is.... Nokia IS innovating due to competition. We all know the list of goodies... City Lens, Mapping, exclusive camera apps, improving the hardware on screens sensitivity, so on so forth. Is there anyone out there that truly thinks Nokia is doing these things because they are concerned about other WP manufacturers? Or are they doing it in response to the Android dominance, Apple profit margins, and BlackBerry 10? Of COURSE it isn't the other WP devices. Nokia already rules that small pond. But Nokia wants back to being the biggest and best device maker in the world. So, innovation for them will not end if they are the only WP handset manufacturing partner of MS. No worries there. Microsoft was smart to offer whatever they had to to get Nokia as a partner.

Scary thought: Where would we be without them????

Microsoft wants a cross platform, software empire. Honestly, if Nokia could get to 10%-15% of worldwide cell phone sales all by themselves, and I think they surely can with enough time and support from MS along with a little more urgency from Redmond, mission would be accomplished. Nokia made the mistake once about taking advantage of being #1. I think WP would be fine in their hands.

Now, after all that, I sure HOPE HTC and Sammy stay onboard. But, I do not think it is life or death.

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
As much as some fanboys wish for it to be, Nokia will not achieve exclusivity with regards to WP (and if they do, that's not a good thing. Competition is always good). Samsung, HTC, and Huawei will probably make phones for the next generation of phones, and I wouldn't be surprised if more manufacturers jump on board. I'd like to see what companies like Sony or LG could throw into the mix, as it seems that each company brings its own vision of what WP is.

anyacooool

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I think till date Nokia is the best hardware maker of all.....coupled with Windows, I think people will prefer Nokia windows phones to any other hardware....plus it is rumored that Nokia is merging with MS.....even better!! The WP software guys need to be faster in developing apps and keep them updated....in no time WP will come shoulder to shoulder with Android!!

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
With the constant leading innovations, exclusive content, and growing number of services from Nokia, are we at the point where Windows Phone is identified as Nokia as iOS is Apple? HTC and a reluctant Samsung have pit out decent hardware but aside from that have been mostly absent from the Windows Phone landscape. And do we really even need Huawei and other low end less known OEMs on the platform. If Samsung and HTC never released another Windows Phone device would you miss the diversity? Or is a Nokia driven Windows Phone platform perfectly fine with you? Personally given the fact that Nokia creates such beautiful hardware coupled with leading camera and maps technology, as long as EVERY CARRIER(as far as the US is concerned) gets the same device, I believe I would be satisfied with that. What are your thoughts? Is Windows Phone on the verge of becoming a Nokia only manufacturer? Would you rather see Sony, Motorola, or LG get in the mix?

Lol, you said Motorola and Window Phone in the same paragraph... You remember they're owned by Google right?

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Reading this thread made me lose all hope for humanity. I hope some of the people in this thread don't have kids. If so, I hope the mother is a Casey Anthony type.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is not Nokia.
Nokia is Lumia , Lumia stands to be more popular than WP8 as a brand. **** it stands to be more popular than all of MS's tries at Mobile OSes

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is not Nokia.
Nokia is Lumia , Lumia stands to be more popular than WP8 as a brand. **** it stands to be more popular than all of MS's tries at Mobile OSes

I must disagree. Its the Windows Phone 8X/S by HTC. Then you have the Lumia series..

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Assuming this is true then Nokia is crippling Windows Phone 8 adoption and development by signing exclusivity agreements with one carrier per country. This is a terrible strategy and Microsoft should figuratively kick their man Stephen Elop (Nokia's CEO) in the rear to change it.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Assuming this is true then Nokia is crippling Windows Phone 8 adoption and development by signing exclusivity agreements with one carrier per country. This is a terrible strategy and Microsoft should figuratively kick their man Stephen Elop (Nokia's CEO) in the rear to change it.

That would definitely be one way to go. I like it!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12