My biggest pet peeve

wingcutter

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So I am an iPhone convert, and I have to say I have never really looked back since I purchased my 920. After 6 years of using an iPhone, that really says something... Windows is doing a good job.

HOWEVER, there is something that drives me crazy. And that is the on-screen buttons (back, home, search). When needing to move around the phone... They are great. But I can't count the amount of times they have accidentally been hit and thrown me out of the app I was in or the video I was watching, forcing me to re-find my spot, etc.

After months of using the 920, I can say that I never truly feel "safe" or fully "comfortable" holding my phone because one slight brush against these buttons and BAM, you are thrown off course. With the iPhone you actually have a place to put your thumbs on both sides of the phone, firmly and confidently. Because there is a hard button, it is WAY easier to avoid hitting it. I am tired of having to hold my phone by the ity bity corners in fear of hitting our on-screen buttons.

So my question is, is there no way around this? Wouldn't it make sense if a double tap was required only when you are in an app?? O how wonderful that would be. Does anyone know of any setting... Or patch available??

Last night, I was showing my wife a video clip and when she tried to adjust the phone to the right viewing angle for her, bam, she closed the video. She sighed, said, "I don't know how you use that thing", and didn't bother sticking around for the video to be setup again. This is a serious issue and I don't think MS has thought it through enough.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Mine is the search button Bing seems to magically appear I close it and go on. I have played with an iphone several times I'd rather stick with my focus 900 and 920. My preference only

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is VERY annoying! I like your idea of a double tap on capacitive keys while in app. That I think, would solve this problem, and it's a simple fix!

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I can see how it can be very annoying. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but I came into smart phones with the focus, so I'm 'used' to it.

My only advice is to just be careful. The good thing is if you hit the Bing button (which I hit most of the time) is then to just tap the back button and it'll take you right back into your app.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I just did this while reading this thread. Bam!!! All of a sudden I'm in Bing.
Sent from my AT&T Cali Blue HTC 8x using Board Express

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't really have any issues with this. In the rare event of a mis-press, if it was home or search just hit back and you're right back where you were. Back could be more of an issue but I don't think I've ever hit that by mistake...

As a side note, sounds like your wife is either really impatient or wasn't too interested on the video you were trying to show her. ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro