Backing up Apps

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I just came over to Windows Phone with the new Nokia Lumia 928. With iPhone and before that Palm, I had physical apps that I could back up on my computer. Is there no way to do this with Windows Phone? Why I ask is that I quickly read the headline that Microsoft and Google teamed up to make a YouTube app but didn't finish the article. I deleted the nice Microsoft YouTube app and downloaded what turned out to be the previous version. I thought, no biggie, I'll just reinstall it from the WindowsPhone site. It shows it but also that it is no longer available in the store. So I can't just reinstall it. The YouTube thing isn't really a big deal to me but what happens if I purchase an app that I really want and then have to do a reinstall for some reason only to find it's no longer available. I would really like to be able to back up apps on my own computer just in case I need to go back a version or something. Does anything like this exist?

Also, why is connecting the phone to a Windows 7 computer so buggy? It works great on a Windows 8 computer but at home I'm still at 7 and half the time it works and half the time it doesn't.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
First off, you can't technically backup files, but there is a solution. You are able to save app files to your SD card from windowsphone.com. I do believe you can't pull them off tho.

Youtube is back to the original because Microsoft and Google is finally going to make one together. Metrotube is best by far anyway and it still download videos.

For your windows 7 computer, I'd suggest you go to the manufacturers website and check for out dated drivers. I don't have a problem with my w7 or w8 computers.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but there is no way to physically back up the apps we install on our Windows Phone. Some Windows Phones have SD card slots which means it is possible to side-load apps by downloading the installer from the Store so an app could be reinstalled from that if a copy of the installer file is kept.

The MS YouTube app was pulled because of an issue with advertising within the app (or lack thereof) and Google spat its dummy out. Hopefully it will be reinstated soon once the big boys settle their differences.

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I noticed I had Zune software on my computer...don't even remember ever using it. I uninstalled it and ever since I have had no more issues with syncing or drag and dropping using Windows 7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs