Idea for MSFT to push WP8

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I had an idea that MSFT would never do but could really get the WP8 market share up big time. They should do something like give away WP8 away free with no contract for everyone who either preorders the Xbox1 or buys it before the end of the year. With all the systems they will most likely sell they would more than likely double or triple their user base.

Oxymoron428

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Lol you're right, Microsoft would never do that. They'd probably give users a discount if they preordered, but not free.

Although that would be nice!

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
That's a good idea too. The problem is still though not enough user base so alot of the developers may overlook the platform until there is a larger user base.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft will become "Cheap" and "worse" if they implement that idea.Its like degrading their own image and trying to be desperate for userbase.

Android tablet user base is reaching almost equal to iPad but the main problem is that they are not being "actually used" at all.
Web browser marketshare shows that MORE THAN 85% of web traffic is coming from iPad but marketshare shows that iPad and Android tablets are like 50-50 almost.

Even today , Android Tablets are a joke with "Big user" base because Apps/games available to those tablets are still laughable (Honeycomb came in 2011 and its 2 years already).

MS should launch a nice campaign without BS.
They should spark interest in developers as well as consumers.

That's the only way WP will succeed.

Android tablets are nice example to say that user base has nothing to do with apps.Its always about "interest" and "potential" of the user base.
See OS X , which has tiny marketshare but OS X user base has nice potential to purchase apps , that's why Mac gets all latest apps (games ofc don't play well because Macs always have average video cards , so obviously Windows PC customers have better potential when it comes to releasing of games)

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
What's going to happen is people will sell the phones on Craigslist or eBay, bring the value of WP8 phones down, and spend the money they make on games or Xbox Live.

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I had an idea that MSFT would never do but could really get the WP8 market share up big time. They should do something like give away WP8 away free with no contract for everyone who either preorders the Xbox1 or buys it before the end of the year. With all the systems they will most likely sell they would more than likely double or triple their user base.
And the majority of those who buy the Xbox One will already have iOS or Android devices, leading to a ton of phones just sitting around being unused.

anon(5918101)

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft will become "Cheap" and "worse" if they implement that idea.Its like degrading their own image and trying to be desperate for userbase.
Why? Sony is actually giving, in my country, free xperia Z and xperia L for every bravia tv series w8/w9 bought; sure, there is a pretty big price difference between a tv and a console but let's think about it for a second: Sony builds loyalty with the customer, how? Simple, sony xperias function as tv remote controls with every sony new generation tv and, having smartphones shorter life than televisions, the average user will be brought to prefer an xperia as his next smartphone.

So imho, if microsoft offers, I'm not saying a free phone, but simply a slightly better deal in buying wp8 devices (possibly not coupons as these would be put on craigslist/ebay/etcera) for every XB One preorder and simultaneously improves the smartglass experience on wp8/winRT/win8 (or/and dilutes the android/iOs one)*, windows phones would acquire a reasonable advantage against android and apple devices.

*That would be pretty ******* but, hey, all's fair in love and war.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
They should do something like give away WP8 away free with no contract for everyone who either preorders the Xbox1 or buys it before the end of the year..

You are correct. That will not happen anytime soon. The Xbox One will already be sold FAR BELOW cost. Adding a smartphone to a hardware package that is already so heavily subsidized just isn't going to happen.

Maybe bundled with a Surface Pro?

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Why? Sony is actually giving, in my country, free xperia Z and xperia L for every bravia tv series w8/w9 bought; sure, there is a pretty big price difference between a tv and a console but let's think about it for a second: Sony builds loyalty with the customer, how? Simple, sony xperias function as tv remote controls with every sony new generation tv and, having smartphones shorter life than televisions, the average user will be brought to prefer an xperia as his next smartphone.

So imho, if microsoft offers, I'm not saying a free phone, but simply a slightly better deal in buying wp8 devices (possibly not coupons as these would be put on craigslist/ebay/etcera) for every XB One preorder and simultaneously improves the smartglass experience on wp8/winRT/win8 (or/and dilutes the android/iOs one)*, windows phones would acquire a reasonable advantage against android and apple devices.

*That would be pretty ******* but, hey, all's fair in love and war.

I think MS can offer "For those who already have any WP8 device and Xbox One activated under same account can get a free xbox game" (Choice is limited to games made by MS like halo or forza etc.) and similar offers.

FavBrowser

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I have even better idea: why doesn't Microsoft give away WP8 to EVERYONE in the US, WP market share would jump to 90% and we would get all the amazing apps.

Even better, they should also give away Xbox One with every Windows 8 purchase to speed up adoption.

Brilliant.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've tried IOS, android, and WP and there really is no comparison. WP wins hands down in terms of functionality and usability, but why is the market dominated by iphones and galaxy phones? PR. They blind you with specs that don't really mean anything in actual usage, pander to your desire to be hip and cool, mock you for not being a regular person if you don't own their piece of plastic, and generally take charge of their phone's public image while trying to shoot down their competitor's image. Microsoft's products are complete, integrated, and amazing but no one knows about it or worse they've heard about it from google or apple.

There's nothing worse than having your competitor set the tone/message for your products. Insiduous passive-agressive things like "They say the ecosystem is still to mature in 3 years, WP is maturing and will be ready in another 2 years, and others" and openly attacks like "wp is flat and boring and nothing would entice you to keep using the UI". The UI is mature and stable, the ecosystem is almost complete and already diversifying in areas ios and android do not or cannot go, and honestly the UI was meant to be unobtrusive. We have xbox games ... on your phone! We have office apps ... on your phone! Nokia has the greatest phone camera apps around and their PR definitely is not shy in asserting and defending it. Bing on wp has visual, audio, etc search. enterprise functionality found nowhere else, a digital design that even now IOS is encorporating ( and most probably be hailed as the best thing since icecream when it comes out ) I can go on and on about each and every feature and benefit and each one of them should have been enough to convince anyone to switch from android/ios to wp. The problem is microsoft's unbelievably slow PR. Frustratingly slow PR. Honestly, do they just sit around all day long?!? They refute rumours and wild speculations when the idea becomes already too entrenched and therefore too late. Case in point : the current viral campaign being secretly waged to make sure XB One never gets off the ground despite how good it is. Apple and Google are setting the tone and Microsoft is just reacting ..... on their own products.

I saw the Home shopping network push for the nokia 521 and was blown away. HSN of all people!?! It was everything I ever wanted to say to convince someone to switch, you got to hand it to HSN, they know how to SELL. They managed to find each and every benefit no matter how obscure and present it in under 13 minutes.
Microsoft's research and engineering arms are great , their PR needs a lot of work. A LOT. like a total overhaul. If Microsoft fired the whole lot of them last year we'd still be in the same place now.

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I've tried IOS, android, and WP and there really is no comparison. WP wins hands down in terms of functionality and usability, but why is the market dominated by iphones and galaxy phones? PR. They blind you with specs that don't really mean anything in actual usage, pander to your desire to be hip and cool, mock you for not being a regular person if you don't own their piece of plastic, and generally take charge of their phone's public image while trying to shoot down their competitor's image. Microsoft's products are complete, integrated, and amazing but no one knows about it or worse they've heard about it from google or apple.

There's nothing worse than having your competitor set the tone/message for your products. Insiduous passive-agressive things like "They say the ecosystem is still to mature in 3 years, WP is maturing and will be ready in another 2 years, and others" and openly attacks like "wp is flat and boring and nothing would entice you to keep using the UI". The UI is mature and stable, the ecosystem is almost complete and already diversifying in areas ios and android do not or cannot go, and honestly the UI was meant to be unobtrusive. We have xbox games ... on your phone! We have office apps ... on your phone! Nokia has the greatest phone camera apps around and their PR definitely is not shy in asserting and defending it. Bing on wp has visual, audio, etc search. enterprise functionality found nowhere else, a digital design that even now IOS is encorporating ( and most probably be hailed as the best thing since icecream when it comes out ) I can go on and on about each and every feature and benefit and each one of them should have been enough to convince anyone to switch from android/ios to wp. The problem is microsoft's unbelievably slow PR. Frustratingly slow PR. Honestly, do they just sit around all day long?!? They refute rumours and wild speculations when the idea becomes already too entrenched and therefore too late. Case in point : the current viral campaign being secretly waged to make sure XB One never gets off the ground despite how good it is. Apple and Google are setting the tone and Microsoft is just reacting ..... on their own products.

I saw the Home shopping network push for the nokia 521 and was blown away. It was everything I ever wanted to say to convince someone to switch, you got to hand it to HSN, they know how to SELL. They managed to find each and every benefit no matter how obscure and present it in under 13 minutes.
Microsoft's research and engineering arms are great , their PR needs a lot of work. A LOT. like a total overhaul. If Microsoft fired the whole lot of them last year we'd still be in the same place now.

first- WP wins hands down in terms of functionality and usability. please explain.

second- you say wp is diversifying where ios and android can't. please explain, also.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I have even better idea: why doesn't Microsoft give away WP8 to EVERYONE in the US, WP market share would jump to 90% and we would get all the amazing apps.

Even better, they should also give away Xbox One with every Windows 8 purchase to speed up adoption.

Brilliant.

And bankrupt themselves in the process?

Yes, brilliant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05