Suggestions how tracking cellular data usage when roaming in Mexico using a Lumia 920?

ehuna

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I am planning to take my Lumia 920 to a trip to Cabos, Mexico in the next couple of weeks.
AT&T sells 120 MB of "Global Data Roaming" for $30 for the month.

I've used a similar 150 MB plan from AT&T in London a couple of years ago with an iPhone - and was careful to turn on roaming only when needed. I also reset the iPhone counters and checked the cellular data usage often.

I'm having a hard time finding a way to do something similar using the Lumia 920 on AT&T: resetting the counters and checking cellular data usage.

I searched and found these -

- MyAT&T: does not seem to support tracking roaming cellular data.
- Data Sense: currently only available to Verizion users.
- Counters: seems to be only available on WP7/7.5 - I can't install it on my Lumia 920.
- Nokia Xpress: seems to compress data and has some counters - but I'm not sure it counts all cellular data usage or only data that goes through its proxy.
- Dialing *3282# ( - I doubt this will work in Cabos, Mexico through Telmex or some other Mexican carrier that will provide the roaming cellular service.

AT&T charges crazy rates if I go over the 120 MB.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can track cellular data usage when roaming in Mexico using a Lumia 920?

Update:
- MyAT&T: once I activated the 120 MB data roaming option, I now see an "International Data" counter. I'm not sure if it updates after each usage, so any other solution would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ehuna

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
>Don't do it man! Roaming is a con! Get a local SIM card instead!

I'd like to try it - any ideas where I'd get a SIM card that works with the Lumia 920 in Cabos San Lucas, Baja, Mexico? And how much it'd cost for data & voice?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I am sure you can find a local wireless telecom carrier to buy a pay as you SIM card from. That's the best way to go when you travel outside the U.S.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Open dialpad, dial *3282#, hit call. It will send you an SMS with your current (lags some) data usage. This is assuming you are on AT&T. I have used this when traveling internationally in remote parts of Indonesia and Colombia as well as other international locations (London, HK), so I am sure that it will work in Mexico.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster