Soft and hard reset questions?

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Now don't get me wrong, I have done my research, and I know that soft resets is in essence just a reboot but without needing to slide down after holding the power button, or if the phone freezes. I also know that hard reset is the same except that it factory resets the phone. That being said, my question is, do soft resets, once triggered shut down the phone and then automatically switch it on, or shuts it down and waits for you to hold the power button to power on again? I know this may seem a trivial question, but due to my first phone dying in the toilet bowl, I am VERY paranoid of my phones dropping in the water. I even have a "emergency drying kit" for phones, ful of collected silica gel packets. However with my old phone I had a removable battery but with my new Windows Phone (Lumia 720) the battery or cover does not come off and I would just like to know whether my phone will stay off after doing a soft reset to allow the phone to dry in peace if I should drop it in the water. Thanks! :)

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Now don't get me wrong, I have done my research, and I know that soft resets is in essence just a reboot but without needing to slide down after holding the power button, or if the phone freezes. I also know that hard reset is the same except that it factory resets the phone. That being said, my question is, do soft resets, once triggered shut down the phone and then automatically switch it on, or shuts it down and waits for you to hold the power button to power on again? I know this may seem a trivial question, but due to my first phone dying in the toilet bowl, I am VERY paranoid of my phones dropping in the water. I even have a "emergency drying kit" for phones, ful of collected silica gel packets. However with my old phone I had a removable battery but with my new Windows Phone (Lumia 720) the battery or cover does not come off and I would just like to know whether my phone will stay off after doing a soft reset to allow the phone to dry in peace if I should drop it in the water. Thanks! :)

A soft reset in terms of software is the exact same as pulling out the battery and restarting the phone. Since your 720 doesn't have a removable battery, a soft reset is the closest you can get to pulling the battery. Soft resets are like holding in the power button on a PC and then immediately powering it back on.

If your phone drops in water.... Pray. Because there's no way to open it up.

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry if I didn't understand you correctly, did you mean it will not wait for me to power it or it will not automatically switch on again? I assume you meant it will not wait for me to power since power button does shut down and wait for me to power. Thanks for your reply :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett