push, email notifications and other strange things.

michaelleewebb

May 26, 2013
Visit site
i asked a question a few days ago about whether or not it was possible for wp8 to keep reminding me every 5 minutes or so that i have received a new text or sms message. someone on the forum (mark five ??) stated the wp8 can't do it, that wp8 is a one off notification system. he is correct in my opinion, looking into the wp8 API's there is nothing for finding out if you received an sms, in fact Microsoft seems to think that its in your best interest to keep looking at your phone every 5 minutes than to have a hacker somehow read your text messages.
so I've been trying to figure out some sort of work-around, I've got to have this feature. I've got a gmail account setup with google voice. when i receive an sms message it is automatically placed in my gmail inbox. Sssooo if i had a computer setup with my gmail account it could read my gmail and discover when i have a new text message or email. it could then push me a notification (toast ??) every 5 minutes (with sound ??) until i read or answer the text/email. ??? does this sound doable ??

michaelleewebb

May 26, 2013
Visit site
if you mean the part about reminding you every 5 minutes or so that you have a new sms message well thats what my "feature" phone did. i think it was an lg 240 or 220 or something like that. if you mean the part about my work around, well i don't know if that can be done. you say no. why ??

michaelleewebb

May 26, 2013
Visit site
hmm, because i work in a factory with a very loud environment, also i ride a motorcycle and can't hear the cellphone ringing when i'm on the bike. every time i leave the factory floor or get off my bike i don't want to have to pull my phone out and press the little button so that i can see that no one texted me or email me. i want the phone to keep trying to tell me that someone is trying to communicate with me. how does that beat the whole user experience ?? i got a text, keep telling me about it until i at least view it. for sure a better way would be that after 9:00 at night it stops trying until maybe 8:00 the next day. i'm not the only one asking for this. do you have a technical reason why it won't work.

michaelleewebb

May 26, 2013
Visit site
figured so. i think doid has it too. looking over at the dark side i see a program called phone notifer. seems to do all i'm saying and its free. between 10,000 and 50,000 downloads. problem seems to come from microsoft. i understand that maybe they don't want you to be able to read a text message from within your app. but dang guys, at least let us know we received one so we can sound the alarm.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
i want the phone to keep trying to tell me that someone is trying to communicate with me. how does that beat the whole user experience ?? i got a text, keep telling me about it until i at least view it. for sure a better way would be that after 9:00 at night it stops trying until maybe 8:00 the next day. i'm not the only one asking for this. do you have a technical reason why it won't work.

Yeah, sounds like a worthwhile feature to me - as long as it's an optional one, and notification specific. I don't mind being reminded about a text message, but it would drive me crazy to have that turned on for emails, FB notifications, etc.

michaelleewebb

May 26, 2013
Visit site
agreed ozrob, i kind of looked into whether or not i can be done. it can't be done via some sort of "listener". seems to me another computer "WITH THE REAL WINDOWS ON IT", will have to listen for a new text message and when it see's it send some sort of notification to the phone. not sure at all that you could do the "toast" thing. i've been reading the posts in this forum and it seems that some people are having problems with push/toast working all the time.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Third party app interaction with OS features to notify the user about emails/sms won't work, it has to be baked in the OS. But third party apps can do it for their own notifications, e.g. Viber can keep on notifying the user at every set interval that there is a missed call/msg from someone.

Jaafar Jabbar

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Because it beats the whole user experience, if you want notifications then pin the app to the lock screen

I had go sms in my Droid, I had the option to send me a sound notification if I had a new msg and allowed me to select the interval time b/w them, 2/5/10 mins etc.

I found that extremely useful as I wouldn't miss replying to an sms in case I missed hearing it the first time around.

Again, different users have different requirements, but would DEF not hurt to have it. I sure as hell miss it. Kinda annoying having to check the phone every time I leave it alone for a few seconds, INCASE I got a text.

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
allowed me to select the interval time b/w them, 2/5/10 mins etc.

I found that extremely useful as I wouldn't miss replying to an sms in case I missed hearing it the first time around.

Yah the iphone has a similar deal, I used it on my iPhone 4 and as you say it is useful i.e you are out of the car filling up with petrol or whatevs and miss the sms saying bring milk, but if it fires again ten minutes later u then get the sms, very handy! I too would like to see this implemented in WP!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720