07-20-2013 01:50 AM
112 1234 ...
tools
    Well WP8 OS doesn't do a lot of things that the other OS's do. That's another disussion by itself. There are things that WP8 should have had from the outset but are missing which would have made it a game changer but they failed to realize the potential. The really weird thing I find with WP8 is it almost feels like they didn't investigate what was already out there and just did what they thought was the 'right way' of doing things. Nothing wrong with that of course but I think you should have some idea of features that people want.
    Exactly. You've hit the nail firmly on the head with that and I couldn't have put it better myself.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    05-29-2013 07:50 AM
    Where are people getting the idea GDR2 = Amber? they said it was 2 different updates with amber being strictly for nokia
    I REALLY want data sense for AT&T. Both mine and my wife's phone (Lumia 920s) have been using up more data doing the same things that we did on our old Palm Pixi phones. With my palm I never went above 100mb of my 200mb plan. this past month i hit 165mb! I'd like to know what is using the data, as well as being able to kill it when i get near my plan limit so i don't go over!!
    Check your background tasks under Settings -> Swipe right -> background tasks -> tap task then block. Any live tile you have that needs a data connection will run the background. If you don't want it to update continuously then you can go here to shut off. With email you need to change the frequency of syncing under settings in the email. That should help most of your situation.
    I do hope that we are all wrong and that the update in June brings allot more than rumored. We were all promised faster updates in the months leading up to the release of wp8. As much as it sounds like a broken record, windows phone needs a notification center. I could care less about it, but people coming from android and iOS complain about this all the time. I just can't believe that they are still stuck on a yearly o.s update schedule. They are really holding back Nokia.
    Vb2012 likes this.
    05-29-2013 07:55 AM
    I REALLY want data sense for AT&T. Both mine and my wife's phone (Lumia 920s) have been using up more data doing the same things that we did on our old Palm Pixi phones. With my palm I never went above 100mb of my 200mb plan. this past month i hit 165mb! I'd like to know what is using the data, as well as being able to kill it when i get near my plan limit so i don't go over!!
    165MB!!!! wow that's soooo lowwww!

Well smartphones use much more data than that, its expected
    05-29-2013 07:58 AM
    I do hope that we are all wrong and that the update in June brings allot more than rumored. We were all promised faster updates in the months leading up to the release of wp8. As much as it sounds like a broken record, windows phone needs a notification center. I could care less about it, but people coming from android and iOS complain about this all the time. I just can't believe that they are still stuck on a yearly o.s update schedule. They are really holding back Nokia.
    How can an update in Feb and one in July account to a yearly update schedule?
    05-29-2013 08:01 AM
    Where are people getting the idea GDR2 = Amber? they said it was 2 different updates with amber being strictly for nokia
    If you go here: http://blogs.windows.com/windows_pho...lumia-925.aspx

It talks about the lastest software and updates for the phone at the bottom of the blog post. I'm under the assumption they're two different updates but thinking about it, it wouldn't surprise me that MS would let Nokia bundle the two together. However I could be wrong. I said from the outset that they were two but I've since seen other websites quote Amber and GDR2 as the same update. So it's a bit confusing.
    deadwrong03 likes this.
    05-29-2013 08:04 AM
    You forgot the one coming in around December, making it three. These 'updates' apparently don't mean much other than some fixes and some minor adjustments and optimizations. I think they're referring to major OS updates, like Blue that should add features.
    05-29-2013 08:07 AM
    Finally a fix for the over saturation of the Lumia 820
    Jupast likes this.
    05-29-2013 08:53 AM
    The famous Nokia sleeping screen
    Attachment 34895

FM tuner
    Attachment 34896

Color management, read: saturation, color temp
    Attachment 34897Attachment 34898

Double tap wakeup (ticked box)
    Attachment 34899

Data control
    Attachment 34900

Data control, read: not specified, monthly prepaid, monthly, not limited
    Attachment 34901

Data control graph and summary
    Attachment 34902

Flip to silent (last option in the menu)
    Attachment 34903

IE security enhance, from the last ticked box upwards, read: do not track, "smart screen" protection, feedback history to bing for service improvement, send URL to minimize data (dont understand???), bing suggestion in search box.
    Attachment 34904

ISO up to 3200
    Attachment 34905

Nokia smart cam
    Attachment 34906
    Thnks dude :)
    05-29-2013 08:57 AM
    That is awesome.
    Hurry up with the updates please MS/Nokia. I'M IMPATIENT!
    wazap Nik :D
    05-29-2013 09:00 AM
    Lets clear things up:

Nokia Amber = GDR2 + Nokia Firmware/Camera Customisations

At no point has MS indicated GDR2 was going to be a significant feature update. Seriously people what were you thinking? Your expectations have been fed by rumours and speculation. If you dont like it then you better off with Android or iphone. The following about Nokia Amber is confirmed:

- Enhanced camera firmware and SmartCam app
    - Flip to silence
    - Double tap to wake
    - FM Tuner
    - International Podcast Support
    - CardDAV and CalDAV support
    - Sleeping Clock
    - Colour Management
    - Datasense enabled for a handful of other carriers

There may be some other minor enhancements like the IE privacy control but dont expect anything major folks. You have been warned.
    When u handfull do u mean only 3 new carriers -_-
    Noahma likes this.
    05-29-2013 09:03 AM
    Lool huge fail portico was released in December last year almost 7 months dude Nokia tested theirs until Feb follow the news please
    05-29-2013 09:07 AM
    You do understand that with a bigger phone your data usage will go up, right? You understand that the higher-res the phone, the higher-res the websites and associated images to be downloaded will be, right? You understand that loading Facebook on a Palm Pixi and loading it on the Lumia 920 will result in higher-data consumption for the latter, right?
    05-29-2013 09:14 AM
    This is nice but I'm thinking SO WHAT? As much as I love the improvements in Windows phone and I do welcome them when they come. But when will we ever get to see notification? At this point it doesn't seem it will ever come at least until WP 9.

My heartburn is what I expect from a mobile experience that seems to be getting ignored. We seriously did not need a kids hub. If you are a parent and can afford to hand your device to a child then you can afford to buy them their own. My smart phone is NOT a kids pacifier. But, we got a kids hub. Something I will never use. I'm a road warrior and I need a focus on mobile. When will we get to that?
    dgr_874 likes this.
    05-29-2013 09:24 AM
    What happened to the early adopter program ? I wish we could get this now...

I hate the fact that I have to take out my spare phone (HTC Trophy) to listen to FM radio (baseball games) when getting work done in the yard. I just want this update to have FM radio again... and I want it before baseball season is over....Come on Microsoft !!!

and that Flip to silence is a HTC thing....(HTC users Settings>Attentive phone> Flip to mute ringer), So HTC users are getting Nokia features and Nokia users are getting HTC features...
    05-29-2013 09:26 AM
    What happened to the early adopter program ? I wish we could get this now...

I hate the fact that I have to take out my spare phone (HTC Trophy) to listen to FM radio (baseball games) when getting work done in the yard. I just want this update to have FM radio again... and I want it before baseball season is over....Come on Microsoft !!!

and that Flip to silence is a HTC thing....(HTC users Settings>Attentive phone> Flip to mute ringer), So HTC users are getting Nokia features and Nokia users are getting HTC features...
    flip to silence sounds more Nokia to me bro
    05-29-2013 09:40 AM
    Not a major update, Not excited with this update!

We need File manager and a notification center asap!
    Jazmac likes this.
    05-29-2013 10:01 AM

yes file manager would be cool and toast history notifications this is not Android bru want a real notification go for IOS n android
    05-29-2013 10:18 AM
    OT:
    We seriously did not need a kids hub. If you are a parent and can afford to hand your device to a child then you can afford to buy them their own.
    Huh? That makes no sense.
    What I think they did wrong with Kids Corner was the fact that they designed it as a "lend it to my kid" feature. It would've been much better as a "Guest user" feature. There are lots of times when people want to hand over their phone for someone else to use temporarily (like in a store when scanning Groupons, etc) but don't want that user to have access to the whole enchilada, so to speak. THAT would have been a much cooler feature to advertise - and it would work great for the kids as well.
    Technoloay and a5cent like this.
    05-29-2013 11:06 AM
    Well WP8 OS doesn't do a lot of things that the other OS's do. That's another discussion by itself. There are things that WP8 should have had from the outset but are missing which would have made it a game changer but they failed to realize the potential. The really weird thing I find with WP8 is it almost feels like they didn't investigate what was already out there and just did what they thought was the 'right way' of doing things. Nothing wrong with that of course but I think you should have some idea of features that people want.
    This is more MS marketing wanting to include "sexy" features that look good in commercials rather than increased functionality. Kid's Corner looks better in ads than alert profiles.

But I like to give MS the benefit of the doubt. We often forget the growing pains we suffered with when we jumped from Blackberry to Android and iPhone. I moved from webOS to iOS and the "multitasking" in iOS bugged the hell out of me. Then after a while I learned to live with it. I'm having the same shock moving from iOS to WP8. But I'm making due. Having to manually silence my phone at night due to lack of DND is a tough one.
    05-29-2013 11:13 AM

Speak for yourself. I don't want to do file management from my phone. This isn't a tablet. I don't want to deal with files on a phone. This was the most annoying part of Windows Mobile that I'm glad never made it into Windows Phone. Smartphones aren't mini PCs and that's why I can't stand the Android philosophy.
    05-29-2013 11:15 AM
    Just give me orientation lock... Please...
    05-29-2013 11:23 AM
    Nokia as usual bringing the heat, GDR2 by itself isnt as exciting as Nokia's update, lots of new features in Amber, cant wait for that.
    a5cent likes this.
    05-29-2013 11:23 AM
    meh. A notification center and a rotation lock would be nice.
    05-29-2013 11:29 AM
112 1234 ...