Lumia GDR2 preview

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I've just seen FM radio tuner, not transmitter. I'm not sure if the hardware is there for the functionality. Did it exist in WP7?

No, it did not. It would be a nice feature that I could see myself using every once and a while....but, I dont think the hardware is there to do it.

I do know for a fact that the FM radio hardware is built into every Windows Phone 8 device besides the lower end Lumia..(620?)

Wish they would just release that one feature, I could care less about the rest of GDR2 at that point, the could delay the rest for all I care. I just want to be able to listen to Baseball games on my phone !!!! Like I could with WP7.X

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
So let me get this straight, in your eyes I need a laptop to transport and work with files 'other' than those used by the phone? That productivity should be limited to a PC/tablet? That my phone, which I consider a portable computer, cause that's what it is, should be nothing more than some sort of task/media/social networking hub? That if I don't like that about WP then I should adpot Android instead cause, as you put it, it's more powerful and useful for the things I want to do?

You're doing an excellent job of selling WP, is this what you tell your friends?

You appear to be having trouble thinking outside your little world and thinking about adopters in other countries who may not have loads of data allowances or WiFi and use their phones differently than you do. If WP wants to appeal to the masses they have to have a product to do so. There's no reason why some form of a file manager like I described shouldn't be in WP. I am not asking for a complete file system manager (there as some that want that) but some sort of file storage manager with some extras. They made cheaper WP for a reason, they now need to make it work for those who they wish to sell it to.

Lastly, as I stated I used Symbian. Never used Windows Mobile. I had no issues with Symbian which has a flie system, it wasn't clunky and it did what I wanted. It also wasn't the malware disaster that Android got into but for some reason continues to be the best selling OS on the planet. I wonder why?

I never said it was just for some "task/media/social networking hub", as you put it. One can be productive on ones phone, but what I meant by "pocket pc" was in a literal sense of a pocket sized PC. I don't see people using Photoshop CS6 on their phones. One can be productive, but one doesn't need a full PC in their pocket. Basically, what I am saying is Windows Phone doesn't need a file manager. A file chooser would allow some basic form of file management in scenarios where its needed, without being unnecessary. I loathe the idea of a file Manager on WP. Its useless. I don't want some multifunction app for viewing, sending, and attaching my files. If I want to send a file, I will use the appropriate app. If I want to manage a specific file type, I will use the appropriate app. etc, etc...

In fact, for file storage (like that of saving files on your phone for later access on the PC) wouldn't even need a file manager. A simple "downloads" location on the device, like that of the documents folder, for saving files in a non readable state, that could be managed via explorer on a PC, would suffice.

and "for those who they wish to sell it to."? Have you seen the ads and such for Windows Phone? I commonly see: The social butterfly, The photographer, the quick Office fix, the Mom. Windows Phone isn't geared towards those who want a full fledged PC-like mobile OS. That's why I said that's like Android. It is like a pc in ways. Both in features and openness, as well as security and malware. Windows Phone is more robust than iOS, but more secure and lest feature heavy than Android. Its the happy medium.

lastly, for you, "You're doing an excellent job of selling WP, is this what you tell your friends?"??? I sell it on its strong points. I tell everyone about the upsides and features it does have. I had an android nut who can hack (note, the real kind, not hardware kind, though he can do that too) tell me he likes the way Windows Phone handles files. I always give them the benefit of the doubt when necessary, but explain how Windows Phone has alternatives in scenarios as well.
I was about to see whats worth such a long post, then I had to stop here. Windows Phone shouldn't be like a pocket pc?! So WP should see itself the same league as gameboy 20 years ago stays as a time killer with no intention for productivity?

*facepalm* As said early in this post, I meant it in a literal sense. As in a full fledged computer in the size of a phone. Smartphones are supposed to be a happy medium between a phone and a computer. Not a computer with a phone.

tl;dr Windows Phone is supposed to be an extension of your PC, not a pc itself. You can do office editing, social networking, and more. But it needs its limits. I don't want another Windows Mobile, complete with file manager and its troubles. Because, honestly, other than using the phone as a storage device (in which case one might as well get a thumb drive), there is no practical use for a file manager. Windows Phone already manages files downloaded by the app that they are opened with. Unsupported files with no app are not downloaded. One can delete files in their designated app. Granted, the email and file transfer solutions need access to the file storage of other applications, which is where a file chooser would come in. Just like Windows 8, it could access other apps within the chooser and select files from them.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Lets clear things up:

Nokia Amber = GDR2 + Nokia Firmware/Camera Customisations

At no point has MS indicated GDR2 was going to be a significant feature update. Seriously people what were you thinking? Your expectations have been fed by rumours and speculation. If you dont like it then you better off with Android or iphone. The following about Nokia Amber is confirmed:

- Enhanced camera firmware and SmartCam app
- Flip to silence
- Double tap to wake
- FM Tuner
- International Podcast Support
- CardDAV and CalDAV support
- Sleeping Clock
- Colour Management
- Datasense enabled for a handful of other carriers

There may be some other minor enhancements like the IE privacy control but dont expect anything major folks. You have been warned.

For the benefit of those people who have non Nokia Windows Phones GDR2 will include under the hood fixes as well as the following from the above:

• FM Tuner Support
  • International Podcast Support
  • CardDAV and CalDAV Support
  • DataSense enabled for a handful of other carriers

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I never said it was just for some "task/media/social networking hub", as you put it. One can be productive on ones phone, but what I meant by "pocket pc" was in a literal sense of a pocket sized PC. I don't see people using Photoshop CS6 on their phones. One can be productive, but one doesn't need a full PC in their pocket. Basically, what I am saying is Windows Phone doesn't need a file manager. A file chooser would allow some basic form of file management in scenarios where its needed, without being unnecessary. I loathe the idea of a file Manager on WP. Its useless. I don't want some multifunction app for viewing, sending, and attaching my files. If I want to send a file, I will use the appropriate app. If I want to manage a specific file type, I will use the appropriate app. etc, etc...

I'm not going to turn this thread into a whole argument over a file manager. There's another thread doing that elsewhere. What I'm tired with is people saying what they feel other people don't need. You're forgetting a large percentage of the market that Nokia has is in India and it is there where WP could prosper if it suits the India market. At this point it doesn't cause they have a completely different way of using their phones. You just need to look at this forum and you'd understand that but you appear to be blind to that. If you want WP to succeed it needs to suit as many people as possible, especially in places where there is already a good market share to be had. People in India will pick up a WP simply because it's a Nokia but they won't buy it if it doesn't suit their needs, which is why cheap Android phones are starting to take over the market there instead and why Android is leading the market elsewhere. I'm talking about success of the platform, to me a compromise needs to be made for that to happen.

You can loath a file manager all you want but I see it as necessary. It doesn't have to like you envision though. There are other ways of doing things.

Vb2012

Banned
Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
For the benefit of those people who have non Nokia Windows Phones GDR2 will include under the hood fixes as well as the following from the above:

• FM Tuner Support

Lol you agian let me guess Nokia guilty agian for not bringing those delicious updates to ur phone

Vb2012

Banned
Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

• FM Tuner Support
by the way Data sense will have only expanded to 4 carriers not more thn tht this article is misleading Data sense will be fully available by the year 2100 so u gona have to wait :/

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
First of all, big thanx for the effort given to show us these features of the new update.
Can't see any thing REALLY big in this upcoming GDR2, besides there is no word if this is all Nokia-specific, or there will be some love to those poor Htc guys like myself.

No need to mention that Ms said that, the notifications center was a feature to add to the system but there was no "time" to do that, sill can't see this feature.

Flip to silent, ISO, and some of these features are good but shouldn't be mentioned as the major things in an update.
Good thing we will get the FM radio.

Hope Ms will give more attention to the OS and to us, the people who really want this platform to grow and be the best it can be.

rohitsingh

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You can loath a file manager all you want but I see it as necessary. It doesn't have to like you envision though. There are other ways of doing things.

The uppdated win8 metro sync client allows you to transfer documents between your phone and the pc. I hope that solves part of your problem. While I agree the option is once again limited to Win8 users only, I am pretty hopeful for the feature to come to the desktop sync client as well.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Lol you agian let me guess Nokia guilty agian for not bringing those delicious updates to ur phone

Where did I mention anything about wanting the stuff that Nokia are adding?

I thought this forum was available for everyone to post on, I didn't know that I had to get YOUR permission first!!!!!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
by the way Data sense will have only expanded to 4 carriers not more thn tht this article is misleading Data sense will be fully available by the year 2100 so u gona have to wait :/

The point I was making was that it will be available on other carriers.

I thought this forum was available for everyone to post on, I didn't know that I had to get YOUR permission first!!!!!

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
The uppdated win8 metro sync client allows you to transfer documents between your phone and the pc. I hope that solves part of your problem. While I agree the option is once again limited to Win8 users only, I am pretty hopeful for the feature to come to the desktop sync client as well.

nope. that doesn't solve any file management issue, the thing here is people want to have an app that can easily access to their personal data (media, document, downloaded files) to copy/paste/rename/move or transfer them using bluetooth other connection way

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm not after a document sync program, you don't really need one as you can access the folders via Windows Explorer. I'm after the ability to download any file from the internet (webpage, dropbox, or Skydrive, etc), save it on my phone, access said file to email or transfer by another means. Currently this is not possible on WP. I'm also after the ability to do this via Windows Explorer as well, meaning any file transfered to my phone I have access to so I can do with it what I want. Again, currently not possible on WP.

The fact that I cannot access 'other files' other than those used by WP means I am limited to what I can do with my phone. I didn't have this limitation on my Symbian phone and Android doesn't have this issue either. iPhone is similar to WP (it's thought that WP has followed iPhone's model) but there are 'solutions' available. We currently have none.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Any info about fixing bugs in wallet app? (microsoft account sync problem after has been deleted a card)

It would be safe to assume that will be fixed as well, there will probably be lots of smaller miscellaneous fixes included as well.

Andre o Botelho

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
GDR2 is not quite impressive and the next update might come just for newer devices, but this makes me sad:
"it enables the FM radio that's hidden inside every Lumia phone to date, except for the Lumia 620." online radio is not good when you cross a huge area on public transport. :crying:
I hope at least camera can be useful now.

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well just seen iOS 7 the full feature video, have used and experienced Jellybean 4.1 & 2.. I have to say W8 is SERIOUSLY falling far behind on everything!!! If W8p want to stay in the market, MS really do need to wake-up! MS seem very slow and do seem not-so-bothered about W8phones from my experience on W8 phone. Its the only smartphone I know with no all-in-one Notification, no ability to put apps in Folders (come-on too many Tiles do get confusing that involve a memory test of remembering where you placed the app are on the Homescreen - eps when they only have the logo to go by and use lots of apps). With no quick access to your Bluetooth / Net / Wifi (take a look at android/iOS 7); this esp.annoying as you have to go back out the screen you where inn, then go into the Bluetooth/ Net / Wifi, the back again to where you where originally. For some strange reason MS seems to have no media Mute (No you can't press the volume-key and the screen to silence - this only silence phone calls, not media), and why is there no separate control for media and phone volume. What on earth are MS thinking!...Why oh why do you need the use of Net that costs you the user data and battery, a PC, the SkyDrive app, and a W8 Phone, simply to create Photo Albums! Is MS really being awkward just for the sake of it !! Yet MS still become more awkward by making Music Playlist a multitasking task - and yet once the Playlist is created on the phone, you can't add more tracks to it - Only W8/MS phones make you do this!...Its not just me, but others too, who start of liking the W8 phone then realize its vast limitations and features (expected smartphone features) missing from this so-called Smartphone! Oh MAPS/PLACES - hardly any reviews on places/shops/restaurants..etc, lack any reak info, many small shops/business missing, no real-time alternative route navigation, no alerts on road problems. The more you investigate W8phones - esp when coming from android/apple, you do see how far back MS phones are - no wonder they sit in the back of every shop! MS are to blame!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss