Lumia GDR2 preview

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Lets clear things up:

Nokia Amber = GDR2 + Nokia Firmware/Camera Customisations

At no point has MS indicated GDR2 was going to be a significant feature update. Seriously people what were you thinking? Your expectations have been fed by rumours and speculation. If you dont like it then you better off with Android or iphone. The following about Nokia Amber is confirmed:

- Enhanced camera firmware and SmartCam app
- Flip to silence
- Double tap to wake
- FM Tuner
- International Podcast Support
- CardDAV and CalDAV support
- Sleeping Clock
- Colour Management
- Datasense enabled for a handful of other carriers

There may be some other minor enhancements like the IE privacy control but dont expect anything major folks. You have been warned.

You forgot the fix for dulplicate files! That's probably the most important part of the update! I'm sure it's been indicated. If they don't fix that this update they'll have people leaving the platform in droves!

As for waiting for anything spectaular to come out of any update I've long given up that idea.

Maceo3121

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Of course there will be several under the hood fixes like the duplicate fix. The features I mentioned are user facing that will be visible when using the phone.

GDR3 will see extra enhancements like 1080p support and will be the pre cursor to the Windows Phone Blue (8.1) rollout in Jan 2014.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
You forgot the fix for dulplicate files! That's probably the most important part of the update! I'm sure it's been indicated. If they don't fix that this update they'll have people leaving the platform in droves!

As for waiting for anything spectaular to come out of any update I've long given up that idea.

Same here. I realised a long time ago that WP has a long way to go to catch up with other OS's so why commit to an immature OS when we can just adopt a mature OS that is already available right now. The way I see it WP just brings a different UI to the table and doesn't bring anything exclusive that other OS's can't already do

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I realised a long time ago that WP has a long way to go to catch up with other OS's so why commit to an immature OS when we can just adopt a mature OS that is already available right now. The way I see it WP just brings a different UI to the table and doesn't bring anything exclusive that other OS's can't already do

Well WP8 OS doesn't do a lot of things that the other OS's do. That's another discussion by itself. There are things that WP8 should have had from the outset but are missing which would have made it a game changer but they failed to realize the potential. The really weird thing I find with WP8 is it almost feels like they didn't investigate what was already out there and just did what they thought was the 'right way' of doing things. Nothing wrong with that of course but I think you should have some idea of features that people want.

Last edited:

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I REALLY want data sense for AT&T. Both mine and my wife's phone (Lumia 920s) have been using up more data doing the same things that we did on our old Palm Pixi phones. With my palm I never went above 100mb of my 200mb plan. this past month i hit 165mb! I'd like to know what is using the data, as well as being able to kill it when i get near my plan limit so i don't go over!!

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Well WP8 OS doesn't do a lot of things that the other OS's do. That's another disussion by itself. There are things that WP8 should have had from the outset but are missing which would have made it a game changer but they failed to realize the potential. The really weird thing I find with WP8 is it almost feels like they didn't investigate what was already out there and just did what they thought was the 'right way' of doing things. Nothing wrong with that of course but I think you should have some idea of features that people want.

Exactly. You've hit the nail firmly on the head with that and I couldn't have put it better myself.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I REALLY want data sense for AT&T. Both mine and my wife's phone (Lumia 920s) have been using up more data doing the same things that we did on our old Palm Pixi phones. With my palm I never went above 100mb of my 200mb plan. this past month i hit 165mb! I'd like to know what is using the data, as well as being able to kill it when i get near my plan limit so i don't go over!!

Check your background tasks under Settings -> Swipe right -> background tasks -> tap task then block. Any live tile you have that needs a data connection will run the background. If you don't want it to update continuously then you can go here to shut off. With email you need to change the frequency of syncing under settings in the email. That should help most of your situation.

nanoware

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I do hope that we are all wrong and that the update in June brings allot more than rumored. We were all promised faster updates in the months leading up to the release of wp8. As much as it sounds like a broken record, windows phone needs a notification center. I could care less about it, but people coming from android and iOS complain about this all the time. I just can't believe that they are still stuck on a yearly o.s update schedule. They are really holding back Nokia.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

165MB!!!! wow that's soooo lowwww!

Well smartphones use much more data than that, its expected

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I do hope that we are all wrong and that the update in June brings allot more than rumored. We were all promised faster updates in the months leading up to the release of wp8. As much as it sounds like a broken record, windows phone needs a notification center. I could care less about it, but people coming from android and iOS complain about this all the time. I just can't believe that they are still stuck on a yearly o.s update schedule. They are really holding back Nokia.

How can an update in Feb and one in July account to a yearly update schedule?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Where are people getting the idea GDR2 = Amber? they said it was 2 different updates with amber being strictly for nokia

If you go here: http://blogs.windows.com/windows_ph...ws-phone-arrives-meet-the-sexy-lumia-925.aspx

It talks about the lastest software and updates for the phone at the bottom of the blog post. I'm under the assumption they're two different updates but thinking about it, it wouldn't surprise me that MS would let Nokia bundle the two together. However I could be wrong. I said from the outset that they were two but I've since seen other websites quote Amber and GDR2 as the same update. So it's a bit confusing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
How can an update in Feb and one in July account to a yearly update schedule?

You forgot the one coming in around December, making it three. These 'updates' apparently don't mean much other than some fixes and some minor adjustments and optimizations. I think they're referring to major OS updates, like Blue that should add features.

Vb2012

Banned
Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
The famous Nokia sleeping screen
View attachment 34895

FM tuner
View attachment 34896

Color management, read: saturation, color temp
View attachment 34897View attachment 34898

Double tap wakeup (ticked box)
View attachment 34899

Data control
View attachment 34900

Data control, read: not specified, monthly prepaid, monthly, not limited
View attachment 34901

Data control graph and summary
View attachment 34902

Flip to silent (last option in the menu)
View attachment 34903

IE security enhance, from the last ticked box upwards, read: do not track, "smart screen" protection, feedback history to bing for service improvement, send URL to minimize data (dont understand???), bing suggestion in search box.
View attachment 34904

ISO up to 3200
View attachment 34905

Nokia smart cam
View attachment 34906

Thnks dude :)

Vb2012

Banned
Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Lets clear things up:

Nokia Amber = GDR2 + Nokia Firmware/Camera Customisations

At no point has MS indicated GDR2 was going to be a significant feature update. Seriously people what were you thinking? Your expectations have been fed by rumours and speculation. If you dont like it then you better off with Android or iphone. The following about Nokia Amber is confirmed:

- Enhanced camera firmware and SmartCam app
- Flip to silence
- Double tap to wake
- FM Tuner
- International Podcast Support
- CardDAV and CalDAV support
- Sleeping Clock
- Colour Management
- Datasense enabled for a handful of other carriers

There may be some other minor enhancements like the IE privacy control but dont expect anything major folks. You have been warned.

When u handfull do u mean only 3 new carriers -_-

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

You do understand that with a bigger phone your data usage will go up, right? You understand that the higher-res the phone, the higher-res the websites and associated images to be downloaded will be, right? You understand that loading Facebook on a Palm Pixi and loading it on the Lumia 920 will result in higher-data consumption for the latter, right?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This is nice but I'm thinking SO WHAT? As much as I love the improvements in Windows phone and I do welcome them when they come. But when will we ever get to see notification? At this point it doesn't seem it will ever come at least until WP 9.

My heartburn is what I expect from a mobile experience that seems to be getting ignored. We seriously did not need a kids hub. If you are a parent and can afford to hand your device to a child then you can afford to buy them their own. My smart phone is NOT a kids pacifier. But, we got a kids hub. Something I will never use. I'm a road warrior and I need a focus on mobile. When will we get to that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes