File manager implementation ? an idea

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why you have little doubt about Windows Phone Skydrive integration.

Windows 8 did not have native Skydrive integration and now Windows 8.1 does. I'm willing to bet thousands of dollars that deeper Skydrive integration will come to Windows Phone. If you don't agree, then I believe you do not belong on this platform. There are different platform options for a very good reason, no platform will satisfy every person's needs.

I don't think you quite understood what I was saying in my last post, but that's fine. As a high level tech, I have a better understanding of it. There are design choices that someone in your shoes will never be able to comprehend, but that's life.

In the end, Microsoft will provide a solution that allows you to achieve what you want. However, if you are not one to welcome change and new ways of thinking, you will not be satisfied. If you take the time to adjust and teach yourself how to fully utilize these new ways, you will understand that the end result is the same, and the steps it took to reach that end result are improved.

I hope you understand the situation a little better.

And I think if what you're saying is true then MS doesn't even belong in the market like India. You're right WP actually doesn't mean for us and on a side note MS will kill Nokia. The potential user of wp's feature wise is of USA. And I don't see wp is gonna succeed in USA either, basically, MS is gonna do suicide in mobile market space. WP would hardly reach 10% if it continues to using such tight sand box model.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
And I think if what you're saying is true then MS doesn't even belong in the market like India. You're right WP actually doesn't mean for us and on a side note MS will kill Nokia. The potential user of wp's feature wise is of USA. And I don't see wp is gonna succeed in USA either, basically, MS is gonna do suicide in mobile market space. WP would hardly reach 10% if it continues to using such tight sand box model.

patience-yoda.jpg

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

So what you're saying is "In order to be a successful phone in India, you need a file manager?". I never knew India as a country had such specific phone operating system needs...
Or are you saying "People in India cannot adjust to change and new ways of thinking"?

You seem to think that right now Windows Phone is only popular in the US, but you're wrong.

How does the iPhone survive without a file manager!? They are surely having trouble reaching 10% right?

I have yet to see a post from you that isn't you complaining about what YOU want added to Windows Phone. And every post you speak as if you are the voice of India and other nations...

"Vish2801" says that Microsoft is doomed to fail. Let's all go home guys...

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Your suggested implementation is actually what's in the most recent (admittedly still old) leaked build of Windows 8.1 from about a month ago. The Skydrive app was rebranded as "Files" and there's a drop-down Window to switch between the local computer and your Skydrive storage.

I agree that it's exactly what we need in Windows Phone*, so maybe it'll come in WP8.1.

*Plus of course, apps like the browser and email need to be able to connect to this app, the way that Windows 8 and Windows RT apps can use other apps as a file picker... It's ridiculous how limited I am in sending email attachments on my WP8 device.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
So what you're saying is "In order to be a successful phone in India, you need a file manager?". I never knew India as a country had such specific phone operating system needs...
Or are you saying "People in India cannot adjust to change and new ways of thinking"?

You seem to think that right now Windows Phone is only popular in the US, but you're wrong.

How does the iPhone survive without a file manager!? They are surely having trouble reaching 10% right?

I have yet to see a post from you that isn't you complaining about what YOU want added to Windows Phone. And every post you speak as if you are the voice of India and other nations...

"Vish2801" says that Microsoft is doomed to fail. Let's all go home guys...

Did you read my post properly ??

I said people need freedom, file manager is one aspect of that freedom. And it's not learning new things, it's called locking you out in an OS without giving you proper features.

Where did I say WP is a hit in US ?? I said MS has made it concentrating on potential US customer and unfortunately most of USA people are iSheeps.

LoL, do you know howmuch marketshare has iPhone in countries like India ?? MS proudly announced that in certain countries, WP has surpassed iOS. iPhone is a hit in certain regions because it can be jailbroken, frankly, here in India, most of people use jailbroken iPhones because it'll offer you freedom.

I'm a common user from India and looking from track record of Nokia here, I can easily throw some insights about market here, common problem and complains about WP. I'm not judging but I can say something about it. Have you ever wondered why Nokia became underdog and android is ruling India now ?? Wait, you can't but I can...

Did I ever say MS is doomed ?? MS is a giant, it's never gonna be doomed but in mobile space, if it continues to be apple and continues to lock down users, I don't think it will ever catch up markets of so called 3rd world countries.

60-70% of android users use android because they can actually control and use their phones, not phones use them.They don't even know which version of android their phone is running. Providing some openness and customization will help WP.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm a common user from India and looking from track record of Nokia here, I can easily throw some insights about market here, common problem and complains about WP. I'm not judging but I can say something about it. Have you ever wondered why Nokia became underdog and android is ruling India now ?? Wait, you can't but I can...

No offence, but whatever viewpoint a single person has in there is statistically insignificant and has absolutely zero prediction power. We're talking about a country of 1.2B people after all.

So unless you're working as a market analyst for a major carrier there, I don't think you can speak for the whole India.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Did you read my post properly ??

I said people need freedom, file manager is one aspect of that freedom. And it's not learning new things, it's called locking you out in an OS without giving you proper features.

Where did I say WP is a hit in US ?? I said MS has made it concentrating on potential US customer and unfortunately most of USA people are iSheeps.

LoL, do you know howmuch marketshare has iPhone in countries like India ?? MS proudly announced that in certain countries, WP has surpassed iOS. iPhone is a hit in certain regions because it can be jailbroken, frankly, here in India, most of people use jailbroken iPhones because it'll offer you freedom.

Did I ever say MS is doomed ?? MS is a giant, it's never gonna be doomed but in mobile space, if it continues to be apple and continues to lock down users, I don't think it will ever catch up markets of so called 3rd world countries.

60-70% of android users use android because they can actually control and use their phones, not phones use them.They don't even know which version of android their phone is running. Providing some openness and customization will help WP.

They are going to give you freedom. It's just now how you are specifically asking for it.

You are now comparing a jailbroken iPhone to Windows Phone... So basically, you think a lack of security is great.

The truth is, over 80% of phone users do not need or use a file manager, even Android users. That's why it is not top priority. And when it becomes priority, they are going to approach it from the ground up in order to improve the legacy file manager system.

There are two sides to every story. You keep referring to the benefits of "your ideal" file manager to support your argument. For every benefit you point out, I can point out about 5 disadvantages. Almost all of them pertaining to security.

Answer these questions (and i'll give you the correct answers too):
-Which phone operating system gives you access to a file manager (without custom modification)? Answer: Android​
-Which phone operating system is the only one susceptible to malware/viruses (without custom modification)? Answer: Android​
-Which phone operating system provides the least amount of security(without custom modification)? Answer: Android​

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
No offence, but whatever viewpoint a single person has in there is statistically insignificant and has absolutely zero prediction power. We're talking about a country of 1.2B people after all.

So unless you're working as a market analyst for a major carrier there, I don't think you can speak for the whole India.

LoL no offense but not whole India use smartphone,smartphone users are very less. I'm smartphone users since s60 v2 era, owned and moderated a whole forum dedicated to symbian (you can call me a pirate ;) ) and I can assure you even market analyst cannot say what a user on site like wp can say about mobile market's needs. And I can tell you, most people here liked X-plore during that symbian era. The common complain from a normal user here is always about basic features and I can tell you wp doesn't have some of them which is very much frustrating...

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
They are going to give you freedom. It's just now how you are specifically asking for it.

You are now comparing a jailbroken iPhone to Windows Phone... So basically, you think a lack of security is great.

The truth is, over 80% of phone users do not need or use a file manager, even Android users. That's why it is not top priority. And when it becomes priority, they are going to approach it from the ground up in order to improve the legacy file manager system.

There are two sides to every story. You keep referring to the benefits of "your ideal" file manager to support your argument. For every benefit you point out, I can point out about 5 disadvantages. Almost all of them pertaining to security.

Answer these questions (and i'll give you the correct answers too):
-Which phone operating system gives you access to a file manager (without custom modification)? Answer: Android​
-Which phone operating system is the only one susceptible to malware/viruses (without custom modification)? Answer: Android​
-Which phone operating system provides the least amount of security(without custom modification)? Answer: Android​

I'm not asking specifically, I'm talking about the topic as it's only about file manager.

LoL, I gave you a reason why iPhone has more user share because it can be jailbroken, it has nothing related to my desire of security.

Hah, how can you say 80% of market don't need file manager?? Last time I checked even here on wpcentral 80+% of votes were in favor of file manager in poll...Dig that thread you'll know what's the truth....

And your answers about your so called questions :
Who the hell here wants full blown file manager like Android and windows desktop. People here only demanding personal file access. And what it has to do with virus and malwares ?? I don't think wp will become less secure if you allow personal file access.windows RT also has sandbox and still it can give all those basic features of desktop with tight security.

The truth is people want features, want to use phone not vice versa and that's why android has so big marketshare. The bitter truth is, MS actually tried to copy apple by locking down users in OS' so called unnecessary security. WP7 was all about that,I'm glad wp8 has some openness as Nokia approached and forced MS to do major changes, I remember wp7 cannot even send files via Bluetooth to other phones and nokia created app with special privileges to send files via Bluetooth.You can also see app like ringtone Maker which allows users to set custom ringtones. Don't be blind follower, what's the need of sandbox which cannot give features users want.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Hah, how can you say 80% of market don't need file manager?? Last time I checked even here on wpcentral 80+% of votes were in favor of file manager in poll...Dig that thread you'll know what's the truth....

Oh come on! You can't be serious.

This forum (or any other forum dedicated to smartphones) is the worst kind of population you can have for statistical surveys like that. Whatever we find important is meaningless when considering what the general population does. I would estimate the 80% to be even higher, something around 90%.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh come on! You can't be serious.

This forum (or any other forum dedicated to smartphones) is the worst kind of population you can have for statistical surveys like that. Whatever we find important is meaningless when considering what the general population does. I would estimate the 80% to be even higher, something around 90%.

This kind of forum has users who understand OS and smartphones better. We certainly have more expectations from OS but most of us are powerusers and what we suggest most of time never bad for other users. Just look at the post of people here who support file manager app, we all also worry about security and that's why we demand what MS can actually deliver. You should also see the uservoice site for wp. File Management app's demand pretty much high. Most of wp users are converted symbian users and that's a fact, so MS should provide basic features of symbian to wp. I remember s60 v3 and above versions of symbians provided limited file manager, not allowing users to see system files of apps unlike v2,of course after jailbreaking it you can see and install unsigned apps. And Nokia's own File Manager app never allowed system file access in any version of symbian. MS can create such file manager with ita special privileges and not allowing other devs to create one and allowing apps yo access only personal files but not each others. That's actually possible in sandboxing system of windowsRT, if blue is gonna make them together, I hope MS would give freedom to users to have acceess to personal files only.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
This kind of forum has users who understand OS and smartphones better. We certainly have more expectations from OS but most of us are powerusers and what we suggest most of time never bad for other users.

And? That does not change what I said a one bit. We are still amazingly bad sample population what comes to the smartphone features used or wanted.

Most of wp users are converted symbian users and that's a fact.

You really have a very loose definition of "fact". Unless you have some actual proof of that, it's just an opinion. I've only heard that WP is getting more and more popular with the first-time smartphone buyers. That message is coming from Microsoft themselves.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
@to crazy fan:
File manager will need to be supported managing personal files only, such as Media, documents, downloaded (Web, Bluetooth,...) files AND will not be there to access sensitive app's data. So there'll be NO security problem here!

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Apple made it pretty clever with the jailbreak, they don't offer warranty for jailbroken devices but allow it (even though there are fewer and fewer jailbreaks, Apple allows them. They could completely abandon them pretty easily). This is optimal, because it's really easy to "brick" the device. Apple would be busy all day just restoring iPhones from people who wanted to mod something, or just deleted something in the file manager. So, I really hope MS will never give complete root access. What I hope for is an unchanged WP, but the ability to root the phones. We have really awesome homebrew apps for WP7, but just because WP8 seems to be really secure, there's currently no way to unlock them. So, I hope MS will allow rooting (with the loss of warranty). For me, that'd be the best compromise.

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I find it funny that when I would jailbreak my iPhone and then needed apple to restore it they never knew it was jail broken because I would always do a hard reset where all they could see is an apple logo. I find it amusing that people didn't first do this before trying to get a new device. Its so easy to hide the fact that it was jail broken

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I find it funny that when I would jailbreak my iPhone and then needed apple to restore it they never knew it was jail broken because I would always do a hard reset where all they could see is an apple logo. I find it amusing that people didn't first do this before trying to get a new device. Its so easy to hide the fact that it was jail broken
yep, it's even easier, there's almost no way of bricking an iOS device, every phone could be restored - but most of the jailbreakers read a tutorial just for cracked apps, so they have no clue what they're doing. Up to now, there's one way to brick an iOS device: flash a newer, patched 3GS with the iPad Baseband. It'll never get network again (BT; Wifi and cellular). Apple is pretty accommodating concerning jailbreaking, if I send a device to them with a hardware problem they'll fix it, and with a Software proble, well, they just restore it :D
I really hope this is the way Windows Phone is going, I'd really wish for it.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
And? That does not change what I said a one bit. We are still amazingly bad sample population what comes to the smartphone features used or wanted.

You really have a very loose definition of "fact". Unless you have some actual proof of that, it's just an opinion. I've only heard that WP is getting more and more popular with the first-time smartphone buyers. That message is coming from Microsoft themselves.

Really ?? I don't think we're bad sample as compared to total number of wp users and still 80% of them agree to have fileanager, which I don't think result would be skewed. As I already said, you can check uservoice site if you think we're bad sample.
And not all users are 1st time smartphone buyers, 50%+ people are not. And not all users are vocal on internet about their needs, many people switch the platform. If you want to confirm you can create a poll that howmany of us are converted Nokia users or hoemany bought Lumias without knowing anything about WP because of Nokia only. You can even check uservoice site's file manager section, many people didn't even know wp doesn't have it. Again, file manager is an example, we need a lot of basic features and MS failed to provide us even after 3 years. That's pretty annoying...

diktea

May 6, 2013
Visit site
as soon as i bought lumia 620 got it filled with some videos and music.... i want to free space from it and transfer files to sd card.... Need Computers!!!! heheh never thought my phone would need such a big accessory and that too very often.
Accessing through Skydrive - big data service charge

I had these Chinese cheap phone once - though it was pain to use in functionality one thing just struck my mind.
In these phones there are basic copy and paste functions ... but unless supported music files are kept in "MUSIC" folder the app wouldnt find and so does notplay..or pic or videos for that matter.
Is there some similar way of 'sand box' ing, of course superiorly without security holes.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes