Vote for the best driving keyboard, Swype.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
i do not make or recieve calls, texts, video chats, or similar while driving. since they don't matter to me enough to jeopardize my own safety, there is no reason to stop specifically to see whatever was missed. i usually check before getting out of the car at home. believe it or not, some people function without instant communications ruling their lives.

You're the one!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The point that some of us are trying to make is that you can text without touching or looking at your phone, just like you can talk on it. Read the whole thread.

far enough. to be honest i saw the title and responded without reading other peoples posts LOL...read them afterwards. I am all for texting via voice commands, as long as people can keep focus on the road.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The resale value of your car must be really low, considering that I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy a car without a stereo, those distracting windshield wipers, windows that roll down while moving, or that pesky turn signal.

the dead squirrel under the seat cares more.

but you're loosing gracefully, that's what matters !

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm still confused why people cant just pick up the phone and call while driving...or wait 10 mins to stop if text is only viable option and a MUST, like life and death. For my situation, like i mentioned i dont text...i dont even drive and talk for that matter. Its not that i cant drive and talk, i just chose not to (especially when driving manual). If its IMPORTANT, like when i was oncall for my job i would use hands free...if i wasnt clear, i told them 'ok, ill call you back in 10 mins...almost home'. People are just too important these days i guess, if they need to reach SOMEONE and cant wait 10 mins it the end of the world. And if they want to call them cool...i still dont agree with texting and driving if it requires the person to take their sight off the road.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Talking about biased studies, Do you know anyone who died of second hand smoke? How can there be millions of them? There are 300 million people in the US if 1 million die of second hand smoke thats 1:300. I know more than 300 people.

It seems like the only people replying to this thread are the same people who would be running a MADD seminar :winktongue:

you're right, I prefer some real world studies to imagined results.

its really nice when both the tests and results are neither biased or skewed by agendas.

again, this is the safer cigarrette, I suppose.

Last edited:

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I would do a MSA Gage R&R (measurement system analysis to gage reproducibility and repeatibility). Seems like there is some concern and variability in measuring response times.
Using words like "declined" doesn't help the article...declined by... 1 millisecond?

half way down, your own link proves my argument, with interesting bits highlighted for ease of use, thanks:

ref: Study: Hands-Free Texting Is No Safer Than Typing
"A debate is raging about taking and making hands-free calls behind the wheel. Some folks think the practice is perfectly safe, while others (like the National Transportation Safety Board) believe that all conversations are distracting, whether or not drivers hold a phone to their ear.But what about other hands-free activities -- like dictating text messages to friends? A new study from the Texas Transportation Institute at Texas A&M University reveals that sending those messages using voice-to-text software is just as distracting as looking down at your phone and typing messages by hand.
To reach those conclusions, the Institute put 43 drivers on a test track and measured each on three separate tasks:
1. Driving without texting at all.
2. Driving while typing a text message on a cell phone.
3. Driving while dictating a text message using voice-to-text software.
The similarities between scenario #2 and #3 were striking. Eye-contact with the road declined in both cases, and although subject felt more comfortable dictating their messages than typing, their reaction times were the same in both situations. Most importantly, those reaction times were twice as long as when the subjects weren't texting at all.
As anyone who's used voice-to-text programs can attest, lead researcher Christine Yager noted that using dictation software to compose texts took more time than typing. That's largely due to the still-evolving state of that software, which doesn't always do a great job of transcribing. As a result, drivers had to spend considerable time correcting their dictated text messages before they sent them.
Yager explains her team's findings using language that the NTSB has used before: whether typing or speaking to a computer, "You're still using your mind to try to think of what you're trying to say, and that by proxy causes some driving impairment, and that decreases your response time".
Which only confirms what we've known for some time: when you're driving, you should probably focus on driving.

[h/t John Voelcker]"

this isn't about me, this about you, saying that texting and driving is safe, that you can handle it, and it doesn't effect your attention focus.

you're partially correct, in that i do not make or recieve calls, texts, video chats, or similar while driving. since they don't matter to me enough to jeopardize my own safety, there is no reason to stop specifically to see whatever was missed. i usually check before getting out of the car at home. believe it or not, some people function without instant communications ruling their lives.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I've used Ford Sync to respond to text messages and, yeah, it's way better then typing it out on my phone, no doubt. Just from my own experience I will agree that if it starts to misunderstand what I am trying to dictate and I have to do it multiple times then it does become pretty distracting.

However, once it gets to that point, it's up to me to just give up and either make a phone call or just wait.... but when it works like hopmedic's post... it works well.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I would do a MSA Gage R&R (measurement system analysis to gage reproducibility and repeatibility). Seems like there is some concern and variability in measuring response times.
Using words like "declined" doesn't help the article...declined by... 1 millisecond?

sounds great ! I'm sure the fine details of a few studies would be interesting to have for discussion/arguing facts and fiction on forums.

real world experiences are that people crash while texting, glancing, and generally ogling their phones instead of just driving.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs