Drop down menu problem...

cariie

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new on the forum since I just started to use a windows phone (nokia lumia 520). (was complaining against my old symbian, but at least I could visit the websites I wanted!)

My problem is that I have a website that I quite visit often on the go, for my job. It used drop down menus, and you cant go around that. It's just a website used by the people working in there, so it hadn't been optimized for mobile internet, though it worked perfectly fine on my symbian. Of course the drop down menu doesn't work.

I read all these problems with drop down menus with IE, so I tried lots of other browser. The free ones for now. I tried surfcube, UC browser, Explora 3 browser, even the fake of safari!

They all do the same. I can open the drop down menu and with a second finger, tap on the right choice, but it doesn't work and still do like if i had tap the main one...

Do you know any other browsert (even if it's not free) that I could donload and with which the drop down menus would work for sure?

(i tried also switching these browsers in desktop mode, doesn't work either)

I know the problem have been raised already but i couldn't find a solution...

Thanks for your help!

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I believe @Ashish might be right: Maybe the website is not optimised for touch devices, or at least not for IE10.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

cariie

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Probably half right. Though the problem is recurrent with windows phones and A LOT of other websites (from all the complaints I saw on the net)

So if someone had that problem and managed to fix it somewhat i'll be interested to hear! :)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Probably half right. Though the problem is recurrent with windows phones and A LOT of other websites (from all the complaints I saw on the net)

So if someone had that problem and managed to fix it somewhat i'll be interested to hear! :)

The problem is a fault of the website. The way the drop down menu's are programmed are not compliant with the HTML web standard. Other browsers have incorporated their own custom fixes, and that makes it seem like IE is at fault, but it is truly the website's fault. The whole purpose of the HTML web standard is that if a website follows the standard, it should work in ANY browser.

IE can implement a custom fix if they wanted to, but that would be encouraging the use of non-standard practices.

I would try and email the website telling them about the problem.

It's the website responsibility to work with all browsers. It's not the browser's responsibility to work with all websites.

Hope this helped! :)

cariie

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I understand... Though that particular website worked on that symbian I had, and I just checked it on an Android, which works fine too.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
On yourWP device, for the browser, have you checked the emulation mode? You can swap between mobile and desktop. It's helpd me on a couple of websites. You might want to try with yours instead of a whole diff browser. Good luck!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

You can try as many different browsers on WP as you like, it will make no difference. Technically, they are all the exact same browser. The only difference between them is the user interface.

As mentioned, there is no solution other than the website operator fixing their website. Your only hope is to contact them and convince them they need to improve cross browser compatibility (usually it requires only very small changes. Less than a days work for one person).

Edit:
This online tool from Microsoft can scan web pages for common coding errors. I would suggest you try that out and see if it detects any problems. I bet it will, which makes it much easier to prove your case to the responsible website developers. Having an official Microsoft validation tool tell them their website is f***** up is usually quite convincing.

Last edited:

cariie

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your help. Yes I saw that fixing the problem was quick, but they have to think about it...

I just used the online tool mentioned and it finds indeed that the website could be enhanced for touch based browsing. Like mouse hover menus, exactly what we're talking about here.

I may try nicely to ask if they could see what they can do with the persons in charge of the website.

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your help. Yes I saw that fixing the problem was quick, but they have to think about it...

I just used the online tool mentioned and it finds indeed that the website could be enhanced for touch based browsing. Like mouse hover menus, exactly what we're talking about here.

I may try nicely to ask if they could see what they can do with the persons in charge of the website.

Thanks!

Thank you for being a WP Central forum member who actually learns from and listens to others. The few... the proud...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa