Clock way off

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
It's not off by hours or minutes or anything, but the time on my Lumia 928 is off by about 40 seconds. I just switched over from Android and that phone was always and is still accurate to the second with the official NIST times.

What I've tried doing is setting the clock manually to an earlier time, then loading up my computer and changing the clock back to the true time once it went ":59, :00". However, when I do this it does change the minute back to the time I want it to be at, but the seconds don't change at all and continue to be about 40 seconds off. The phone has no way of changing the seconds so am I just stuck with it being 40 seconds off forever?

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
OK, nevermind. The trick I did that I guess fixed it was to set the clock to manual, then do a soft reset (hold volume down+power for ~5 seconds).

When the phone booted back up the clock was automatically set back to Auto, and checking against my PC it's now accurate to the second. :smile:

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
My 920 is always a little off from everyone else around me. I always blamed different carriers but maybe it's the phone. It's never an entire minute so it doesn't bother me.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
It's not off by hours or minutes or anything, but the time on my Lumia 928 is off by about 40 seconds. I just switched over from Android and that phone was always and is still accurate to the second with the official NIST times.

What I've tried doing is setting the clock manually to an earlier time, then loading up my computer and changing the clock back to the true time once it went ":59, :00". However, when I do this it does change the minute back to the time I want it to be at, but the seconds don't change at all and continue to be about 40 seconds off. The phone has no way of changing the seconds so am I just stuck with it being 40 seconds off forever?
BUHAHAHA! I just busted out with laughter. Your title says "Clock way off" Then got to the 40 seconds part. Lol. I'm sorry 40 seconds isn't way off I was thinking 15 mins or an hour.

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
BUHAHAHA! I just busted out with laughter. Your title says "Clock way off" Then got to the 40 seconds part. Lol. I'm sorry 40 seconds isn't way off I was thinking 15 mins or an hour.

That's way off. My Android is more in sync with official times than my laptop, and I've never done anything manually with it. There's no reason why in 2013 that a device with network capabilities should ever be more than 5 seconds off (or even more than a few milliseconds for that matter). I've found a lot of suggestions in the Suggestion Box app asking for NTP synchronization, which suggests that some other obsolete technology is being used in WP for time synchronization.

Some people rely on accurate, to-the-second timing in their line of work and it's unacceptable for a smartphone-- which costs hundreds of dollars and has come to replace the watch/clock for most people-- to be providing anything less than precise information.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Have you consider investing in real watch to keep time? Just saying...

Time keeping (in the sense of replacing a watch) is really a secondary issue. Many connectivity features don't work properly if the clock is too far out of sync. Things like HERE Transit and the Store get upset if you don't have the correct time (though I think there's up to a couple of minutes tolerance). The other thing that's effected is two-step authentication on some types of accounts. If your phone's clock doesn't agree with the server clock you can have a problem logging in.

So while it may sound like a trivial issue, it can become a real pita if things get too far out of sync.

And for the record, I had some time sync issues with my Lumia 720 when I had switched off data for while. Even though it was connecting via wifi every so often, it would occasionally show the time out by a few minutes. Now I'm back on a data plan I haven't had an issue.

Edible Giraffe

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I just did a soft reset on my phone to see if the auto-time kicked in correctly (it's never worked well for me).
My auto time is now set at 5:48AM while it's currently 2:40PM. I'd say that constitutes as 'way off'.

Edit: After going back to manual, it's apparently 1st September 2012 too.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
. I've found a lot of suggestions in the Suggestion Box app asking for NTP synchronization, which suggests that some other obsolete technology is being used in WP for time synchronization.

In the past people reported this issue to their service provider and it ended up that the NTP for the base station wasn't synced correctly, it wasnt the actual device. The time for the device, which should be set to auto by the carrier for security reasons, should be getting the TRUE exact time from the base station > NTP > satellites.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
First i'm hearing of this.... odd.
So I whipped out my 920 (auto time synced to my carrier Telstra)
Waited for it to tick over to the next minute and started an online stopwatch.
Got 59.95seconds (although i'm sure thats due to me not clicking quickly enough). Sooooooooooooo, i'm going to go ahead and blame your carrier. Can't be the phones fault.

Normal restarts and soft resets don't change the time at all either. Always shows the correct time. Maybe it's an American issue?

So while it may sound like a trivial issue, it can become a real pita if things get too far out of sync.

Yeah thats surprising to hear people mocking the OP for his phone being 40 seconds out of time. It IS a problem!

haydt1

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I want to back up the posters who mentioned that time is a critical issue. 40 seconds may not sound like a lot and in most cases 40 seconds isn't but as it drifts more and more as others stated things don't work right. I've been noticing this quite a bit lately with many windows PC's not domain connected and using MS time servers and as I notice it I move them to more accurate NIST servers. I've also had some drifting on my L820 and I keep the data switched off quite often so I don't know that if I'm on Wifi Only the lumia uses MS NTP servers and then when back on Carrier it updates that way.

Besides it bothers me when my phone, Cable box and PC all show me different time. Anal that way.

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
This isn't an attack on the platform and I guess I can make do without it, but when you have a device with the power of a small computer in your hands and can't get the results you want even when using the manual settings then obviously there's a problem there.

Perhaps I'm just not "Movado" enough for the WP crowd...

movado-museum-face-watch.jpg

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a few Lumia 521's that I keep in airplane mode with WiFi turned on and they will wonder significantly (several hours+) They don't have service but do have sim cards so I just turned data back on and they stay current.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
This isn't an attack on the platform and I guess I can make do without it, but when you have a device with the power of a small computer in your hands and can't get the results you want even when using the manual settings then obviously there's a problem there.

Perhaps I'm just not "Movado" enough for the WP crowd...

View attachment 35150

Were just giving you a hard time for kicks. Don't take is personally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett