Bluetooth For Windows Phone 8 and Kia Optima

rgc6789

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using a Lumia 900 and will be switching to Verizon in August. I'm excited by the Lumia 928, but I've read online about a lot of Bluetooth issues with Windows Phone 8. Specifically many people using Uvo with Kia.

Does anyone have a Kia (I have a 2012 Optima Hybrid without GPS) and a Windows Phone 8 device? Does it work correctly - read text messages, contact info imported properly, Nokia Drive work, streaming music?

The only issue I have with my 900 is that the turn-by-turn of Nokia Drive doesn't work unless I have the stereo set to Phone (if I'm listening to the radio, I can't hear the nav). I'm hoping I get at least the same integration.

Thanks in advance.

Russ

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
LOL! I have the 2012 Optima Hybrid WITH GPS. I was JUST going to post a similar thread on the Optima Owner's forum.

Read Text messages-It will read them and announce incoming callers and incoming texts. The problem is the voice activation to get it to do it in the first place. There seems to be some issue in that the Optima is expecting to "hear" the commands on the builtin mic of the car, but obviously the car's command structure doesn't parse it and send it to the phone. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not.

Import contact info-Right now, it doesn't,but I read somewhere that if you have more than 300 contacts in your phone, the Optima can't import them. I think I read that a firmware upgrade fixes that.

Nokia Drive-Haven't tried that.

Streaming Music-Perfect. Any source I can stream on the 928, I can pump it out over the Optima's speakers.

The other note, I typcally have the phone's volume set to 30/30 all the time when I am streaming. The first time I was streaming and got an email notice, the chime just about blew my ears. It's THAT loud. Also scared the CRAP outta me as I wasn't expecting it.

I'd be interested to hear your experience.

rgc6789

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I only have the volume issue when listening to ESPN podcast streaming from their app. Music works as it should. BTW, nearly crashed the first time I was listening to "In The Herd" podcast and received a text message.

The 300 contact issue is common - at least I've heard of that before.

It sounds like I should get at least the same integration as I'm getting with my 900.

I tried the Optima Forum, but could not create an account on the Kia website as it says that my VIN doesn't exist.

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I've got a 2013 Kia RIO (In the UK).

When mine is hooked up to bluetooth I've tested only the following

Calls > Perfect, no issues
Streaming Music > Perfect, no issues
Texts > It reads them out and gives me a list of commands 'Reply, I'm done... etc etc'

I used nokia drive but didn't have that going through bluetooth as when my phone is on 30 it's SO loud anyway!

The only thing I find irritating on my car, it has to download your contact list/call history EVERY time you connect it.. previous cars may of done this in the background without me noticing but I can't do anything bluetooth related until its done (Takes about 20-30 seconds normally?)

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've got a 2013 Kia RIO (In the UK).

When mine is hooked up to bluetooth I've tested only the following

Calls > Perfect, no issues
Streaming Music > Perfect, no issues
Texts > It reads them out and gives me a list of commands 'Reply, I'm done... etc etc'

I used nokia drive but didn't have that going through bluetooth as when my phone is on 30 it's SO loud anyway!

The only thing I find irritating on my car, it has to download your contact list/call history EVERY time you connect it.. previous cars may of done this in the background without me noticing but I can't do anything bluetooth related until its done (Takes about 20-30 seconds normally?)

Question, can you actually control your phone via voice commands through the car's mic?

Valentine GS

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
My texts read out when on 'media' but not when listening to radio. Is there a setting somewhere to prioritize phone.
Likewise drive directions don't come out over radio.
Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786