Terrible Lumia 920 experience after having an LG Optimus 7 and HTC 8X. I'm considering jumping ship.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm sad to say this but I'm considering jumping ship over to Android and grab an HTC One.

When WP7 launched I quickly bought an LG Optimus 7 that served me very well without any issues. As soon as WP8 launched I bought an HTC 8X that works great to this day and I absolutely loved it. It's the best phone I've ever had.

Two weeks ago, my mom was up for renewal (she had an Optimus 7 like the one I had since WP7 launch). She asked me if I wanted to give her my 8X for a yellow Lumia 920 she could get with her renewal. After considering it for a couple of days, I said yes mainly for the better rear camera and the LTE support.

The Lumia 920 suffered very poor battery life and random overheating/draining issues in the first few days and came with a light bleeding near the height of the back button. Unfortunately, here in Mexico some companies (in this case, my carrier Telcel) can still do what they want and screw over its own customers and its a real PITA to make them exchange defective products. They said the battery was fine when it was lasting me 6-8 hrs, even when I was in WiFi all the time and using the phone just a little. They first called the light bleeding a "cosmetic issue" with the intention of not honoring the warranty.

After many complains, I got with a supervisor and they opened two more yellow Lumia 920's and they both had the light bleeding defect. This is only high end WP8 phone they have and the only one I want besides my great 8X. My current situation is that I can get them to give me another brand/model but the 920 is out of the question for the light bleeding defect and the fear the ones they have will suffer from very poor battery life as well.

The Lumia 925 could be a great phone but it's not yet available and I need a new phone right now. After seeing the great design and features of the HTC One I'm considering getting one, use it until the 925 is broadly available and issues are reported (I don't want to suffer the issues I had with the 920) to see if I keep the One or sell it to buy a 925.

What do you guys think? I really like and think WP8 is the best smartphone OS right now and it keeps improving but the 920 issues sounds like Nokia is dropping the ball and probably it would be at least 2-4 months or more before I can get the 925 here in Mexico.

Is this a good strategy? The HTC One is getting superb reviews all over the place and the design (the reason I got the 8X and not a 90 on WP8 launch) is awesome.

I still could give my mom the HTC One and get my 8X back but after seeing the LTE speeds and the camera of the 920, I kind of want it to upgrade it. The One's camera is one of the best out there after the 920 and also has a wide-angle FFC like the 8X and I love being able to get myself and a lot of people when using it, even when it was just a pic here and there. All phones should come with a wide-angle FFC.

I felt like venting my problems could help me forget about this terrible situation with the issues of the 920, at least the ones that Nokia made available in Mexico. What do you guys think? Thanks for reading, I hope I didn't just bored you to death with this rant :)

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
"I had a great experience with two Windows Phones, I got a 3rd one and it was the only one that was horrible. I'm going to Android"

In all seriousness though, do what makes you happy. Getting the One isn't a bad move, neither is trading the One for your 8X back. Play around with the One for a bit and see how you like it first.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
"I had a great experience with two Windows Phones, I got a 3rd one and it was the only one that was horrible. I'm going to Android"

In all seriousness though, do what makes you happy. Getting the One isn't a bad move, neither is trading the One for your 8X back. Play around with the One for a bit and see how you like it first.

In retrospective, it sounded like a desperate move after two great experiences. However, the problem I faced was availability of current 920's in Mexico and the light leak defects with the ones my carrier had.

I already bought the One and ti should arrive on Friday. I plan on keeping it until the Lumia is available 925 or a more worthy Windows Phone is presented. The jumping ship parts is, I hope and I want, temporal as I really like WP8 above other OSes.

The good thing is that I can change the One with my 8X if I want to. In the end, after all the headaches returning the 920 with my carrier, I think it is a win-win for me at this time.

I'm not jumping ship, I'm making a pit stop or something like that :D

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
In retrospective, it sounded like a desperate move after two great experiences. However, the problem I faced was availability of current 920's in Mexico and the light leak defects with the ones my carrier had.

I already bought the One and ti should arrive on Friday. I plan on keeping it until the Lumia is available 925 or a more worthy Windows Phone is presented. The jumping ship parts is, I hope and I want, temporal as I really like WP8 above other OSes.

The good thing is that I can change the One with my 8X if I want to. In the end, after all the headaches returning the 920 with my carrier, I think it is a win-win for me at this time.

I'm not jumping ship, I'm making a pit stop or something like that :D

Your experience is very common on this forum. You don't have to look too deep to see all the issues that keep reappearing on the WP8 platform. You have the duplicate song issue, the duplicate picture issues, the skydrive issue, the battery issue, the lack of features issues and the list goes on.

I'm personally giving WP until the Blue update to see whether it's worth sticking around. I'm about 80% happy with the phone and the OS so even though that's pretty high, that 20% that's missing is quite important to me. Hopefully MS sees these issues and corrects them cause I think they're more OS based than anything to do with Nokia.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I had the light bleeding defect and I wrote it here but nobody believed me. They said they didn't have any. I hope I bought another phone that has less problems (any phone except Lumia 920 has no problems. I have bad luck) sorry for you.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I had the light bleeding defect and I wrote it here but nobody believed me. They said they didn't have any. I hope I bought another phone that has less problems (any phone except Lumia 920 has no problems. I have bad luck) sorry for you.

Perhaps we got bad luck with the Lumia 920 light bleeding. The battery issues are something else because many users are reporting them.
I could happily accepted another 920 from carrier to see if it didn't have battery problems, but they had the light leaking and I really thought it was not worth it, even when I'm a big WP fan from the beginning.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I had a Droid for 2.5 years and I'll never get one again: the Android operating system is just a sluggish mess. It was painfully slow, unintuitive, and unstable. I just hopped on board the Windows Phone 8 train, picking up the 928 a few weeks ago and what a breath of fresh air. The operating system is amazing: smooth, fast, intuitive, and fresh. I love it.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
If it were me, I would stick it out with the 920, problems and all, until the next phone I had my eye on was released. But why would you jump ship to Android just because of your experience with the Lumia 920 when you had such a good experience with the 8X? I don't get that...

AbsoluteZerow

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Dood, I'm telling you right now, don't bother getting any android device that isn't a Nexus branded one. You'll never get updates, especially from an HTC device. I don't care if its the HTC *insert your favorite number here*, it won't get updated fast, and that sense interface gets stale after about 5 minutes. The best android experience is on a Nexus device. I've had a Nexus 4 since launch and its fantastic. The HTC One in my opinion, is like putting a really nice dress on a duck. At the end of the day, its still a damn duck.

Now that I got my opinion on the best android phone choice (a galaxy nexus, nexus 4) out of the way, here is my advice on why you should calm down and rethink going to android.

The amber update is coming really soon. All WP8 devices will receive it and a great deal of improvement will be had on every phone. Once Jelly Bean 4.3 or Key Lime Pie 5.0 comes out, you're going to be waiting close to year at maybe receiving an update.. unless you buy a developer Google HTC One. Anyway, I'm talking way to much, just keep you're 920. I got rid of my 920 around launch and I regretted it everytime I saw how much WP8 was progressing. The most exciting phone platform right now is WP8 because it is completely new and exciting in every way. Don't do it man, don't go back to android!

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Dood, I'm telling you right now, don't bother getting any android device that isn't a Nexus branded one. You'll never get updates, especially from an HTC device. I don't care if its the HTC *insert your favorite number here*, it won't get updated fast, and that sense interface gets stale after about 5 minutes. The best android experience is on a Nexus device. I've had a Nexus 4 since launch and its fantastic. The HTC One in my opinion, is like putting a really nice dress on a duck. At the end of the day, its still a damn duck.

Now that I got my opinion on the best android phone choice (a galaxy nexus, nexus 4) out of the way, here is my advice on why you should calm down and rethink going to android.

The amber update is coming really soon. All WP8 devices will receive it and a great deal of improvement will be had on every phone. Once Jelly Bean 4.3 or Key Lime Pie 5.0 comes out, you're going to be waiting close to year at maybe receiving an update.. unless you buy a developer Google HTC One. Anyway, I'm talking way to much, just keep you're 920. I got rid of my 920 around launch and I regretted it everytime I saw how much WP8 was progressing. The most exciting phone platform right now is WP8 because it is completely new and exciting in every way. Don't do it man, don't go back to android!

A HTC One with stock android is coming though, Samsung S4 as well, both will get updates like the Nexus series.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
If it were me, I would stick it out with the 920, problems and all, until the next phone I had my eye on was released. But why would you jump ship to Android just because of your experience with the Lumia 920 when you had such a good experience with the 8X? I don't get that...

It's not that I'm forgetting about Windows Phone. I still consider it the best out there. The good thing is that I can get back my 8X at any time if the HTC One doesn't live up to my expectations. The 920 is forgotten I would love to see the 925 or other new ones from Nokia (I'm not so sure about the EOS) and HTC.

If they release a new phone in a few months time, I will gladly sell the One if I don't like it that much and get one of these.

You last paragraphs sums up pretty well how I felt and still feel about Windows Phone. It's a great OS, it's coming along nicely with more features and great apps. Specially, the overall experience is the best, second to none.

I couldn't think of keeping the Lumia 920 because of the light leak and the faulty or underperforming battery I suffered. My carrier showed me two more with the same screen factory defect, so keeping it would be a mistake if they ended up lasting only a few hours. It's a real PITA to reclaim warranties or exchange phones with them.

My plan is to roll with the HTC One until the new gen of Windows Phones is launched. I can sell it at a fair price and bought one of the new WP devices at any time.

This will serve me as an interesting experience with Android after having a Kindle Fire and a Nexus 7 for reading and entertainment. A die-hard Windows Phone user taking a taste of the latest gen of Android.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Your experience is very common on this forum. You don't have to look too deep to see all the issues that keep reappearing on the WP8 platform. You have the duplicate song issue, the duplicate picture issues, the skydrive issue, the battery issue, the lack of features issues and the list goes on.
Right. Good thing there aren't any issues on Android devices. Thank God there's a perfect alternative to this terrible platform we call Windows Phone.

Fact is that all phone platforms are going to have forums that have what appears to be a high percentage of people complaining. That's because average people don't hang out (or even likely hear about) forums like this one, and the people who are here are the ones who are going to notice the problems the most, and voice them. The majority of people aren't even going to notice some of the things we see here, because half of us here are OCD. We see the gunk behind the start button. They see, "Oh, shiny!"

Don't let what you see here be your guide as to what phone to go with. Go look for yourself.

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I have had a bad experience to. I got my wp7 phone in 2011 LG quantum and had no problems!!! I love the os! So when wp8 can out right when best buy preorders came out I got a cyan 920, it got stuck and all this crap and basically it took 2 months to get my phone, the phone had internal issues, they were out of cyans when I went to take it in so they gave me a black, that one the flash had broke. Not much to complain about but I like to take photos and that was really getting on my nerve so I got a new one they gave me a cyan and that's were I am now and everything looks good, so lets hope for the best

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Right. Good thing there aren't any issues on Android devices. Thank God there's a perfect alternative to this terrible platform we call Windows Phone.

Fact is that all phone platforms are going to have forums that have what appears to be a high percentage of people complaining. That's because average people don't hang out (or even likely hear about) forums like this one, and the people who are here are the ones who are going to notice the problems the most, and voice them. The majority of people aren't even going to notice some of the things we see here, because half of us here are OCD. We see the gunk behind the start button. They see, "Oh, shiny!"

Don't let what you see here be your guide as to what phone to go with. Go look for yourself.

I didn't say that other platforms don't have issues, nowhere did I say that everything was perfect on any other device. However, having a good music player should be stock standard on any device these days, forgetting the other bits for the moment. A thing like that is what can make a lot of people abandon WP in a heartbeat and yes I know an 'update' is imminent to fix this issue but it shouldn't have taken the months it has. There are people on this forum who have returned up to 5 phones due to battery issues and other things like what happened to me, mine bricked (all I did was a reset ffs). Yes I still have it and use it if you're wondering. It is these issues that makes WP8 hard for me to recommend to people. It feels like a beta product. It's missing simple features that would make it better and it's missing advance features which would make it a killer OS. It's rides in the middle somewhere.

Keep in mind your 'average person' will simply return a phone and go with something else when it fails on them cause it pissed them off. We have no idea of the statistics of how many people have returned their phones due to these types of issues and gone with something else.

Last edited:

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Ultimately, you have to do what makes you happy. You are after all, paying the bill.

I am puzzled however, by why you're not considering other WP options like the Ativ S or a Lumia 720? It seems to me an easier option than jumping to an operating system which is inherently insecure and where you will have to transfer your personal data all over again, rather than have it sync to the new device automatically.

It seems to me that unless you have to have a premium device, there are options you haven't considered.

Jonathan Piferrer

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I've had Iphones.... Android (Xperia U, S, etc...) and now Windows Phone (Lumia 710 and now 720).... I NEVER GO BACK TO ANDROID OR IOS.

You must have whats makes you happy, if android make it, go for it....

if Android or ios doesn't... COME BACK TO WINDOWS PHONE!!!