It's Starting to Happen!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Still carrying a WP 7, and I get to tell anyone who asks how much more impressive WP8 is. Fun to say:"yep, my phone rocks, but these are nothing compared to the new ones....."

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
100% agree, Microsoft need to be churning out bug fixes/features instead of doing tiny little patches here and there and 1 'biggish' one a year... For a well established platform with a large user base that's a bit easier to swallow but when you're trying to attract people it's not so good.

We have to remember that Microsoft does not control the update release cycle. They are beholden to the carriers who do not want to be testing updates every week or even every month. Testing these updates costs them money. Until MS changes the way updates are deployed we will only see them periodically, is my guess.

MatthewGavin

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
A few times people have seen me with my phone and ask questions about it. People seem interested in the phone but always end up asking the same question..."Is it better than the iPhone?" I say I enjoy the phone and it can do everything I need it to do. I also tell them to go to the store and try out the phone.

hungdizzle

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Die-hard original WP user here (Samsung Focus). upgraded to Samsung Focus Flash, then Focus S, then Lumia 820, now HTC 8X.

Got my sister to try it out. Focus 2 then Lumia 920 White.
Her boyfriend asked about our phones and joined the party with Black Lumia 920.
Mom liked the simple tiles, joined with an older WP7 device. Focus Flash (I upgraded it to 7.8). Dad is next in line!
One of my students is using a Lumia 900, her friends began to ask about our Windows Phones. Two more just got the Lumia 920.

In line at Wal-mart, a lot of people were asking for the Lumia 521. SOLD OUT!

iPhone is boring. Android is a convoluted mess. Windows Phone is the way to go.

SteakPieHarry

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I've only had my Windows 8 phone 5 days now and it's already turned a few heads. I had a Samsung Omnia last summer and it got a bit of attention but the Ativ S is getting a few drools. I agree with the sound profiles, a simple thing that really should be rectified. Other than that though I couldn't bear the thought of going back to my S3. I can barely go a few minutes without messing with the Ativ. I was bored of the S3 the same day I got it. Fix a few apps and add a few features and it's hard to see how Windows 8 can be beaten.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
The receptionist at my office wants my phone, but it is not available on contract in the US.

So yeah, it's picking up some steam, at least anecdotally.
Yeah is picking up a huge steam.. I don't think the receptionist only wants the phone lol

SteakPieHarry

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah is picking up a huge steam.. I don't think the receptionist only wants the phone lol

Haha, you're bang on brother. Christmas nights out, emails, an "up close and personal" demonstration......sounds like more than just the phone alright! :winktongue:

Edit - just realised my post was about ANOTHER receptionist in this thread. Jazmac's post. Seems like the Windows phone is a veritable tottie magnet!

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Love the 720 design. All it needed were 512MB (256MB?) more memory for better multitasking capabilities. So your webpage doesnt reload if you open onenote to copy and paste something.

I took a seat on a plane and two guys of no acquaintance behind me had windows phones.
A friend of mine is growing tired of his iPhone, and had many questions about my 720.
The receptionist at my office wants my phone, but it is not available on contract in the US.

So yeah, it's picking up some steam, at least anecdotally.

fatpigeon

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I've seen quite a lot (and by quite a lot, I mean like 2 a day out of the 2 bazillion iPhones I see) of 920's recently. Nothing else though.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Today the news said that in Finland, WP has taken a very slight lead as the most popular smartphone OS. Naturally cos it's Finland it's totally biased due to Nokia, but still!

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Was down at the hot tub the other night and talking to someone I hadn't met before and he was sporting a 920. He was jealous of my 928. They're out there!!!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't usually see Windows Phones when I'm out, but on Wednesday, I was pleasantly surprised to see that a woman in my Weight Watchers meeting who asked me a question actually had a Lumia 822. I was impressed and showed her that I have a 920. Aside from that, I saw a guy in the subway with a white Lumia 920 back in February, when I was on my way to a concert in the City (NYC, that is) with a friend. She actually noticed and pointed it out to me.

usnberry

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
A USAF Captain I see regularly pulled out his new Lumia 928 to check text messages before a meeting yesterday, and a fellow shipmate commented on his recent order for a 920 when I was on watch a few days ago, so yeah, they're getting into the military ranks too.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Still carrying a WP 7, and I get to tell anyone who asks how much more impressive WP8 is. Fun to say:"yep, my phone rocks, but these are nothing compared to the new ones....."
I know that feel bro :)
I have a Lumia 800 on WP7.8. And I still think that it's the best looking phone in the human history.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a couple of friends who are a BB fanboys and they were both disappointed with the Z10. One has already returned his Z10 for a white 920 while the other returned his Z10 and will wait for the 925 to come out on this side of the Atlantic. Neither of them want to go the iPhone or Android route although the one who is waiting for the 925 is getting tempted by the HTC One.

vistascan32

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I've found that people who get budget android phones only do it out of price, and not because they like the phone.

My mom is looking for another phone after getting her budget android phone stolen and she says to me "what's that phone I had before? I really liked that one".... It was a Trophy on Verizon.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You mean the Marketvisio report?
WP - 35%
Android - 33%
iOS - 30%
Symbian - 2%
Great times ahead!

To be honest I really have no clue. I found it a bit contradicting with the news just like a week ago where apprently Samsung outsold Nokia in Finland, but I figured that it might've included featurephones, while this news about smartphone OS popularity in Finland.

Sadly it's not really much of a good sign in general.. Nokia could sell anything to finns :p

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I really have no clue. I found it a bit contradicting with the news just like a week ago where apprently Samsung outsold Nokia in Finland, but I figured that it might've included featurephones, while this news about smartphone OS popularity in Finland.

Sadly it's not really much of a good sign in general.. Nokia could sell anything to finns :p
But, Samsung and HTC also sell WPs.
Also, Symbian is already run down there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750