Weird Bing search app issue

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, this is a weird one. A couple weeks ago I noticed that the background of Bing search on my Lumia 920 wasn't changing each day.

When I used to tap the capacitive search button and Bing opened, if there was a new picture of the day a few seconds later the old image would fade out and the new one would fade in. It doesn't seem to change anymore unless I power cycle my phone or do a soft reset. Right now I'm looking at Rapa River Valley in Sweden, which I think was the Bing image of the day a few days ago.

I contacted WP Support on Twitter, and they said it was working for their devices and in the end the only advice they had was to perform a hard reset. I've done that twice and bricked two phones in the process and really don't want to do that again.

One thing that might be related is that around the time I first noticed this problem I setup two factor authentication with my Microsoft account. I mentioned that to WP Support and they said the search app wouldn't be affected by it, but I tried disabling two factor auth anyway a few days ago and the problem still occurs. A couple of apps on my WP needed app passwords setup after enabling two factor auth, but I was never prompted for one by the search app.

Is anyone experiencing this issue? Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

EDIT: I wanted to mention that I have tried a few things, including soft resets, syncing my Microsoft account, and deleting search and browser histories (suggested by WP Support).

Gatlyn

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
My Bing lockscreen was always a day behind. I gave up on it and now have WeatherFlow update my lockscreen with the Bing picture and it works perfectly. As for the picture in the Bing app, that's always worked fine for me. I'd suggest a hard reset but I know those are never easy and always a last resort.

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
My Bing lockscreen was always a day behind. I gave up on it and now have WeatherFlow update my lockscreen with the Bing picture and it works perfectly.

I'm actually not referring to the lockscreen image, I'm referring to the image in the background when you open the search app by pressing the search capacitive button.

My lockscreen is always a day behind as well, but it does update daily so I don't really care that it's not up-to-the-minute.

CopaCC

May 26, 2013
Visit site
My 521 shows the same image for both lockscreen and search that Bing shows on my computer. Seems to be updating every day.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
my lumia doesnt automatically change bing wallpaper on my lockscreen

every time i have to select a photo and then again select bing to change it

is it a bug ??

bing search wallpaper is updating daily

CopaCC

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Today was weird. Both my lock screen and Bing updated, but to different photos. They've always been the same up till now.

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Just bumping my thread to see of anyone else is encountering this issue. When I tap the search button and the Bing app appears I still see a background image from several days ago, the last time I power cycled my phone. This isn't a problem for anyone else?

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You must have connection all the time to get a timely update as they update is pushed only 1 time or a very limited times a day. Once you missed that time frame you loose the chance to get an update for that entire day.

rhodri22

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
What country are you in? Because if you're in some countries (UK, Canada, France) you get the Bing image for the US a day early. It could be that your phone is set to the wrong region. You can see this in practice here --> Bing Image Archive

Last edited:

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You must have connection all the time to get a timely update as they update is pushed only 1 time or a very limited times a day. Once you missed that time frame you loose the chance to get an update for that entire day.

I'm either connected to WiFi or LTE 24 hours a day.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed the lock screen doesn't update all the time for about a month now as well. The Bing image updates as soon as I go into the search app. They both used to update automatically on time.

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, apparently I have OCD because something as minor as the Bing background image not changing forced me to hard reset my phone. Of course, I got stuck on the spinning gears and had to flash it myself yesterday. I can't believe Nokia hasn't figured out why hard resets kill the 920.

Anyway, back up and running and the Bing image of the day is changing once again.

Somu612

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello! I think I am a little late to join this discussion. But yeah I've been having the same problem with my 720 too.. I bought the phone just about a month ago. Initially it used to update everyday. But now it never does. It only changes if I go to settings and change it to photo and then back again to Bing. What is this bug? I think it started after I updated my lockscreen with the update released. I too keep my 3g internet on all the time. Please help! I don't want to hard reset my phone..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa