Apps that drain battery

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I know there's a heap of these threads but my battery has just drained 31% in tha last hr n I can't pinpoint it. I don't have WhatsApp so any ideas??

Tomanband

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
try rebooting, there must be an app stuck in a loop, like N_LaRUE said: what apps have you installed? there may be a low quality app that causes this

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
try rebooting, there must be an app stuck in a loop, like N_LaRUE said: what apps have you installed? there may be a low quality app that causes this

yeah I'll try a reboot n c if that works:) I've never had that kinda drain b4 n I been deleting recent downloads so hopefully I'll work it out but thx to both of u 4 ur help

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
location is the only one turned on n its never been a problem b4! As 4 apps I got like 250 bro, so too much to go into;)

Check your background tasks and see how many are running there. If you have a lot that would explain things.

Settings -> swipe right -> background tasks. Tap any task and then block.

Also having that many apps makes it impossible to know what app would kill battery. Have you installed any recently? Also playing games kills battery faster than anything else. I find this with pretty much any game.

ivo03

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Kik, Nokia Xpress browser, some battery monitoring app
Also, battery drains faster if you are in an area with weak signal and use any apps requiring data connection.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Check your background tasks and see how many are running there. If you have a lot that would explain things.

Settings -> swipe right -> background tasks. Tap any task and then block.

Also having that many apps makes it impossible to know what app would kill battery. Have you installed any recently? Also playing games kills battery faster than anything else. I find this with pretty much any game.

lol I'm not a newbie, I know how 2 navigate the phone, its just I've downloaded alot of new apps that I have heard peepz discussing on here but thx 4 ur help bro;)

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Kik, Nokia Xpress browser, some battery monitoring app
Also, battery drains faster if you are in an area with weak signal and use any apps requiring data connection.

kinda ironic that battery apps drain battery lol but I'm surprised by Xpress browser! Thx heaps n I suppose using compression would drain battery level

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Thx heaps peepz;) I just blocked all background tasks n will turn em on 1 at a time til I find the culprit! I usually only have a battery app, chronos calendar n accuweather on so if any of them ring bells let me know :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't necessarily have to be a background app..... This one shocked me. I was playing one of the Angry Birds (don't remember which), and got called away by the wife. I turned the phone off without leaving the app. When I got back to it about a half an hour later, my battery had lost about half of its charge. I don't know if this is the case with this particular game, but if the developer writes the app to "run under lockscreen" it can continue running while locked. Having not written an app that does this, I don't recall if they have to notify you that they're doing so. I know I've seen some apps ask me if I wanted to let them run under lock. Since then I trust no Rovio game to leave it running and just turn off the phone.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would have thought so, too. Apparently not. Either that or someone missed something in testing. I know that there's a minimum battery life requirement for apps that play music under lock screen - I think it's something like six hours. I'm not sure how that can be enforced, with different battery sizes in different phones, but.....

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
lol I'm not a newbie, I know how 2 navigate the phone, its just I've downloaded alot of new apps that I have heard peepz discussing on here but thx 4 ur help bro;)

Didn't mean to imply that you were a newbie.

Thx heaps peepz;) I just blocked all background tasks n will turn em on 1 at a time til I find the culprit! I usually only have a battery app, chronos calendar n accuweather on so if any of them ring bells let me know :)

I did find when I had Chronos calendar (I had the free then lost it when my phone bricked and just decided to wait for the WP calendar update) that it did drain my battery a bit. I don't use Accuweather but The Weather Network (Nokia app) and have no issues with it) and Battery I have no problems with either.

Though it is ironic that a battery app would drain a battery but any app running in the background will do it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just did a quick search, and all I found on apps under lockscreen was this - no time to continue searching for now:
Running a Windows Phone Application under the lock screen - Jaime Rodriguez - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

1. [Optional] To have a great user experience with user in control, you should prompt the user so they opt-in into running under lock.
  2. [Optional] You should expose as part of your application configuration settings an option for the user to change their mind or simply want to disable it and conserve power.

Apparently it is not required.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I've had battery apps before that used to drain my phone, don't use any anymore

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That's ridiculous! I thought transparency was all tha rage now lol

I'm with you - it surprised me when I read it. I'd thought it was required when I read the app certification requirements the first time, so I'm wondering if they dropped the requirement for some reason. There are other requirements for things that I would think less important..... If your app plays sound, it must check to see if background music is playing, and if so, it must prompt asking if it is ok to interrupt the background music. I'd think permission to run under lock would be more important, but who am I?

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Do u think an app that's pinned could still chew battery even with backgrounds turned off?? Coz I have all background tasks off but something is still chewing :(

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I've now turned off everything u can possibly turn off n its still chewing! Tha only possible explanation is n app is stuck n continually pinging the server, so I guess its reboot time lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos